PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry, Tolkien vs. Sandersons take on language

Vanir
12-13-2015, 02:15 AM
Hello, I'm writing a raport for a class and I need som help with it and all you have to do is answer a A or B question, and if you feel like it a short why.

Ok so here is the question and options; Which style of writing do you prefer to read?

A) the Tolkien style where there are fully developed languages for the fantasy races and to read those languages without understanding them?

or

B) the Sanderson style where the languages are just developed enough for the plot/characters and are often read as descriptions of how it sounds like when characters talk in a language the POV character can't understand?

Thanks in advance!

rwm4768
12-13-2015, 02:59 AM
I prefer the second as a writer. I'm no linguist, and I'll leave developing full languages to the linguists. As the reader, I don't really care as long as the language doesn't seem horribly inconsistent.

jjdebenedictis
12-13-2015, 03:28 AM
I feel very unsettled with the idea of helping someone do their homework. Are you supposed to interview people for this report, or are you hoping to copy-and-paste our answers?

Given you've only posted at AW six times in almost two years, none of us know you well enough to judge your intentions. :-/

King Neptune
12-13-2015, 03:36 AM
It depends on how much of the language there is and how well it is done. And there is another way that may be even better. Joel Chandler Harris was an American author of the 19th and early 20th centuries who wrote in a thick, African-American dialect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joel_Chandler_Harris
In general, such things are matters of personal preference. If one is not a real master of the other language, then bits of it here and there are adequate. Tolkien was a master of the languages that he madeup, and he was a master linguist, so it was a pleasure to run into and across pieces in the Elvish language.

amergina
12-13-2015, 04:38 AM
We don't do people's homework for them.

MacAllister
12-14-2015, 07:01 AM
Amergina is absolutely right.

We also don't generally allow surveys here for various reasons -- including the fact that academic surveys need a fairly rigorous set of checks and balances to be both ethical and non-exploitative.