PDA

View Full Version : .

CassandraW
12-10-2015, 08:39 PM

CassandraW
12-10-2015, 08:49 PM
As a couple of you might have guessed, this poem is part of a planned series inspired very loosely by the Odyssey (and of course, it being me, by personal events). Suitor (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?313411-Suitor), the last poem I posted, is also part of the series.

I am hoping each poem will stand alone (as with Steppe's very fine collage poems (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?312749-Collage-Poem-4-Life-In-An-Un-made-Bed-(in-ten-parts))), and together, tell a story (as with William's inimitable Thorn Forest (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?290649-The-Compleat-Thorn-Forest-(A-Gift-for-AW))). Of course, utterly lacking William's discipline and confidence (not to mention talent), I can't do the damn thing in order and post it as I go, but instead will post pieces as I finish them. Perhaps, when I finish the entire series, I'll put it in chronological order and post it in chapbook.

Glyax
12-10-2015, 08:58 PM
*raises hand* oh oh oh, is this refrencing her undoing her loom every night, to put off having to choose a suitor, while awaiting the return of her love??? also, I enjoyed reading it, possibly largely in part to the fact that I love the Odyssey

CassandraW
12-11-2015, 12:42 AM
Welcome to AW and to the poetry forum, Glyax. Thank you so much for reading and commenting on my poem.

Yes, it is indeed a reference to Penelope's daily weaving and unweaving of a shroud, with my own twists. As you may gather, my Penelope's and Odysseus's respective journeys will parallel their mythical counterparts', but play out rather differently.

Glyax
12-11-2015, 01:00 AM
Ha-ha thank you for the warm welcome :), I posted my newest poems on the critique portion, I didn't realize yours wasn't there, ah well, I enjoyed it :) and it will be interesting to see how they play out. Now I'm motivated, maybe this weekend I will do an elements style, have 4 poema that embody/represent each element in style and tone

Kylabelle
12-11-2015, 01:10 AM
Glyax, that's a most cool idea. I look foward to reading your elements.

CassandraW
12-11-2015, 08:00 PM
That does sound cool, Glyax. I'll look for it. My internet connection was out of whack until yesterday, so I'm way behind on my critique reading. I cannot read a poem intelligently on a phone!

It's a funny thing -- the critique room and this room have largely different populations. I think some people never cross the Rubicon between them. FYI, in case you don't know, you are perfectly welcome to comment on anything in this room -- or not, as your fancy takes you. I usually put my stuff here because far more people from around AW tend to read it when they don't need to put in a password. (I don't know about the rest of you, but crit room poems don't even show up in my feed unless I plug in the password -- I have to do it every time I log in.) On the down side, of course, it's not password protected, so if you plan to try to sell your poem, this isn't the best room to put it in.

ETA

Forgive me if you knew all of that already. A lot of people don't, even some who've been around for a while.

Kylabelle
12-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Cass, it shows up in mine. Maybe because I access it so often, but the other password areas show up too, including the SYW boards I visit much less often. Wonder if it's a browser difference?

But having the posts in crit not show up would discourage "stopping in" unless you have a specific errand. I guess that's part of the price we pay for having a private area.

CassandraW
12-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Cass, it shows up in mine. Maybe because I access it so often, but the other password areas show up too, including the SYW boards I visit much less often. Wonder if it's a browser difference?

But having the posts in crit not show up would discourage "stopping in" unless you have a specific errand. I guess that's part of the price we pay for having a private area.

Hmmm. Maybe it is a browser difference, or something I've done with cookies, perhaps. When my internet is functioning properly, I stop into critique often and conquering challenges occasionally. But the very next day, or the next time I log in (if I log out), I need to plug in the password again or posts in those rooms don't show up for me. When I'm busy, I often just take a glance at my subscribed threads and "what's new" -- which means I sometimes miss the crit poems.

Often my crits are limited to mentioning I like something (I often feel presumptuous telling someone else how to write his or her poems, beyond a niggle or two -- e.g., "you could lose this word"). So perhaps my crits are not much of a loss.

ETA:

It's definitely my browser. I plugged in the password to read a poem, then went back a bit later, and had to plug in the password again. gaah!

Kylabelle
12-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Critting and commenting on poems is challenging for me too, though I have steeled myself to do it anyway. Because it helps all of us. You would be more than welcome to say whatever you see and feel, IMO.

As well, learning to assimilate what people say is a skill in itself. I know not to take anyone's word for anything, but to do my best to make a neutral space to listen and consider. And sometimes it is instantly clear that a suggestion is one I want to take, or not take. Sometimes it takes a while to sort it out.

You are a good poet, Cass and so your comments are worthwhile.

One thing I struggle with is that everyone has a singular voice, and, as you say, how I would do it may be exactly wrong for the poet. But also that's where the alchemy is, that uncertain area.... I have to trust the poet to be responsible for deciding if what I offer is useful or not. Sometimes that is very hard to trust especially with newer voices who are eager to take advice.

CassandraW
12-11-2015, 11:51 PM
I very much enjoy analyzing poems (would probably do so more often if I didn't suspect my ramblings get tiresome) and discussing them. I just feel hesitant to tell someone to change something unless I feel quite strongly that my suggestion is a definite improvement, or I think something in the poem very much jars with the tone/style of the rest.

(Heh. I'm helping derail my own poem thread. Isn't that just like me?)

Kylabelle
12-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah you are. And it is. :greenie

As for Undone, the more I read it the more I like it. Not quite ready to say how or why but, it's coming. (I am slow sometimes.)