God-awful holiday movies

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Okay, everyone has their favorite seasonal movie. Let's flip that. What's the one holiday movie you HATE? The one you loathe with every fiber of your being? The one that's utter anathema to the season? The one that, when you consider it was made by supposedly rational human beings, makes you weep for mankind?

I'll begin: Santa and the Christmas Bunny. Yes, it's a real kids movie (look it up; I dare ya), and yes, it'll make you want to toss yourself from the highest parapet.

So what's yours? :evil

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jack Frost, starring Michael Keaton. I cringe if I even pass it while flipping channels.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Does anyone remember an old black & white movie "All Mine to Give"? It stars Cameron Mitchel and maybe Glynis Johns--not sure but I don't want to look it up because even the IMDB makes me cry. I think it is set in Canada. Cameron Mitchel is a Scottish lumberjack. The story begins with his courting a newly arrived woman. The story is heartwarming. They are a cute couple and you follow them through twelve or so years and six or seven kids, always thinking things have to get better for Cam and Glynnis because they are so damned appealing but NOOOO. There is a scene where the father takes most of the kids and takes them to live in a miserable deserted cabin in the woods to avoid a plague--Typhoid? Diphtheria? Cholera? Spanish Influenza? Who even knows. You are crying too hard to freaking care! Of course the father dies!

So the mother carries on, a poor, plucky widow with umpteen children. She insists that the oldest boy continue his education and does all kinds of humiliating jobs to keep him in school. So he grows up to be a lawyer and then goes on to become a judge or at least a dashing singer like Ian Tyson....but NOOOO. She dies on the night of the school Christmas program. And he has to go to work at the mines or the textile factory or somewhere awful. My own dad had to go to work at 14 because his father died so of course I was coyote howling by then.

The last scene is the oldest boy trudging through a snow storm, pulling a sled full of his siblings, stopping at houses to give his little brothers and sisters away. ON FREAKING CHRISTMAS EVE!

Who would show slop like this to 1950s kids for a Christmas treat on the last day of school before Christmas vacation? The sorry assed Dominican nuns that ran the school that my sibs and I attended. So I saw that damned thing every year for at least 5 years.

When we cried--we all cried-- it was the baby boom; we all had siblings, naturally we cried! Unfortunately I was the blondest of the little blonde girls so my nose was extra snotty red and drew extra attention from the nuns. To comfort us the nuns would tell us that the movie was based on a true story and we should be HAPPY because we had so much for Christmas. like families. Then they would back up their claims with even sadder stories of whole families freezing to death back in the Kansas dugout days. Stiff as freaking ice statues, with their rosary beads frozen in their hands! (Guess you can't pray the rosary in mittens.)

My siblings were younger, Kimmie and Johnny. I hated them back then. They still drive me nuts. And they rightly hated me--except for about a week after we saw that godawful movie. Then we slept together in one twin bed, our arms wrapped around each other while the snow howled outside our window. In fact,( mff, mff, snort, sob), I think I'll call them now!---s6

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They probably switched babies at the hospital or something.

Wye Pen

Banned
Reaction score
Holiday : A soldier is never off duty by A.R. Murugadoss is the top of Bollywood

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember that movie, Shakey, although I saw it on tv not in Catholic school. It was indeed Glynnis Johns. In the 1850s in Wisconsin. The screenplay was written by a grandson of the original couple. From his IMDB credits he had a fairly successful career as a screenwriter and lived to around 97. So it wasn't all horrible. Oh, and the disease was supposedly typhoid, and there were six kids.

MM

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
So glad things turned out for the oldest boy. I just saw Glynnis Johns in "While You Were Sleeping." Love her.

Maybe it was the pressure of being the oldest child but "All Mine to Give" gave me bad dreams. I watched "Susan Slept Here" this week. I think it might be considered a Christmas movie. I only watch it because she sets the table with my china--inherited from my aunt. The movi always makes me angry because it is so mired in the fifties. A 17 year old girl falls in love with 40ish Dick Powell? Marriage to a wealthy man will straighten out any mixed up delinquent girl? Talk about a load of macho crap...but it has never given me a nightmare. --s6

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
What, no hate for 1985's Santa Claus: The Movie? (IMDB link) Talk about an overblown clunker...

The recently-Rifftraxed Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny was a turkey, too - plus, it was aired at least two years, because there are two versions with different fairy tale interludes in the middle. (The whole thing was an ad for Florida's defunct Pirate's World theme park.)

Speaking of Rifftraxed flicks, The Magic Christmas Tree is quite atrocious.

And then, there is the horror that was The Star Wars Holiday Special, if we're counting TV atrocities.

Also, ages ago, I saw part of a holiday movie on VHS whose name I can't recall - I think it was It Happened One Christmas, but I can't remember, and may be accusing an innocent movie by using that title. Anyway, there was a woman with a horrible life who kept having terrible things happen to her. All I remember is that we gave up on it halfway through because it was just too depressing.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember The Little Matchstick Girl. While it takes place on New years Eve, She's afraid of her abusive father who makes her sell matches on the street. She huddles in a doorways and lights the matches to stay warm as she dreams of a happy Christmas and when the last match goes out she freezes to death.

M.N Thorne

Registered
Reaction score
Every holiday movie created by the Hallmark network after 1999. They are all too sweet and gross :( Forgive me for wanting realistic holiday movies.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember The Little Matchstick Girl. While it takes place on New years Eve, She's afraid of her abusive father who makes her sell matches on the street. She huddles in a doorways and lights the matches to stay warm as she dreams of a happy Christmas and when the last match goes out she freezes to death.

this is what the holidays are all about!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

The Little Match Girl by Hans Christian Anderson. Hey, she gets to go see her dead grandmother!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I remember Matchstick Girl as a story that my grandmother used to tell me, right after she told me the one about the grasshoppers eating their whole farm so all they got for Christmas was a pound of coffee and horehound drops. Then there was the one about her 14 year old uncle who went out to fetch the cattle and came home with a rattlesnake bite. He died and of course it was Christmas.

What is it with Christmas and sad? Oh, yeah--and I did get bamboozled into watching the Star Wars Christmas Special. Anyone ever see Emmet Otters Jugband Christmas? Another stupid special. --s6

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
What, no hate for 1985's Santa Claus: The Movie? (IMDB link) Talk about an overblown clunker...

When I was a kid we had that one on VHS and I freakin' LOVED it. I know it was silly, but doggone it, I wanted one of those chewy lollipops that would make you fly. Heck, I wanted one even if it wouldn't make you fly; to little-kid me they looked like the most delicious thing I'd ever seen.

Looking back, I still really like the visuals of the elves and Santa's workshop in that film, too. In some movies the North Pole visuals come across as slightly creepy (I'm looking at you, The Santa Clause and Polar Express). That film though, was exactly (to me) what Santa's workshop should be: Warm and colorful, a bit old-fashioned, and utterly welcoming.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
There's this awful Christmas movie whose title I've forgotten, but here's what I remember: A woman is stressed out at Christmas, rather than being all cheerful and grateful and Stepford wife-y. So an angel arranges for her husband to be fatally shot in a robbery and her kids to disappear. She believes the kids are dead too.

As a result, she becomes much more humble and appreciative, so the angel presses a reset button and gives her the husband and kids back. Cue tearful reunion and happy ending. It was so grotesquely manipulative that I never want to even think of it again.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
There's this awful Christmas movie whose title I've forgotten, but here's what I remember: A woman is stressed out at Christmas, rather than being all cheerful and grateful and Stepford wife-y. So an angel arranges for her husband to be fatally shot in a robbery and her kids to disappear. She believes the kids are dead too.

As a result, she becomes much more humble and appreciative, so the angel presses a reset button and gives her the husband and kids back. Cue tearful reunion and happy ending. It was so grotesquely manipulative that I never want to even think of it again.

That sounds...just terrible :D.

I don't know if it's Lifetime or Hallmark, but I keep seeing ads for this awful looking movie where a woman meets a dude who--gasp--just happens to be a prince. Every time I see the ads I want to hurl either the contents of my stomach or my remote at the television...

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Jingle All The Way - Arnold Swarzenegger and Sinbad as the worst dads in the world fighting over some lame Christmas toy like 2-year-olds.

Not fun, not funny, not heartwarming. Just Bad.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
No!!!! Not Elf!!!!

Okay, my vote-Fred Claus. Painful in just about every way.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I love Elf, and I'm not a Will Farrell fan. It's one of only two movies I've liked him in.

I've never understood the love for A Christmas Story. It's OK, but it doesn't affect me in any particular way. It's meh.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Christmas with the Kranks. My daughter thinks it's hilarious. It makes me cringe.

This, by far, is the worst movie ever made. It makes me want to give Showgirls an Oscar.

- - - Updated - - -

I love ELF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watched it again Monday. It's so utterly delightful!