what is this triangle called

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
hi, i saw this episode in street genius but forgot the triangle/supporting base's name.

three planks form a horizontal triangle but it's like one end of one plank is under the other plank while the other end is on top of other plank.
like plank A, B, C
end1 of plank A is on top of end2 of plank B
end2 of plank A is under end1 of plank C
end1 of plank B is on top of end2 of plank V

In street genius episode the host asked the contestants minimum number of planks needed to remove an object that is hanging from the crane.

the host then form a strong base using 3 planks and then uses a fourth plank to knock off the object.
but i forgot the name of triangle. i tried googling up street genius episodes but couldnt find the clip.
i'm not sure about penrose triangle.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
This? ( link )

I think it's called a self-supporting triangle scaffolding, but don't quote me on this.

-cb

Last edited:

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen that elsewhere, too. It's an old bar trick! Google: "Three Knifes Bar Trick." I saw it on Stargate Atlantis. Several people were trapped at the bottom of a mine shaft, but there was some scaffolding above them. So the clever doctor shows them this bar trick where you bet someone you can't support an egg over a glass of beer using three knives (or something like that) and they say you're crazy, so you take three butter knives and interlock them, so each one is over and under the ones next to it, forming a triangle in the middle that can support weight. So the trapped people take three half-rotted planks and interlock them in the same way, up on the scaffolding, and it provides a way for them to try and reach the entrance above them. Of course, one of the planks breaks because it's so old, and they fall back to the bottom of the shaft. And I think someone breaks their leg, too. But it's the same kind of thing.

Here's another YouTube video demonstrating it. (Jump to 1:38 for a photo of the trick.) I don't know if it has another name or not, I found it by searching for bar tricks.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I used cups and stirrers to form a similar configuration in my office. I'll google up for the name of the triangle.