PDA

View Full Version : Publications list in a query letter? Help!!

gettari
12-07-2015, 08:02 AM
Dear Wise Forumites,

I have just finished a detective novel that's the second in a series and I want to seek an agent to represent this book. The problem is that my first novel was published by a print on demand press (it was NOT self-published) and I'm wondering whether to mention that fact in the query letter. I certainly want to be up front about it, but I also suspect the fact that another publisher has the rights to the first book would make finding representation for subsequent books in the series more difficult. I would appreciate any advice about how to address this in the query letter.

Many thanks in advance.

Treehouseman
12-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Hmm, the usual suspects will be in to give more qualified advice shortly, but they'll probably say what I will.

I would not mention that this is the second in the series. Best to pitch your new manuscript as a stand alone.

Change the places, change the names, set your previous POD book free and fuggeddaboutit. You'll have a better chance that way!

mayqueen
12-07-2015, 11:03 PM
My hunch is that it depends on whether or not the manuscript you are querying can stand on its own. If it can, then I don't see the problem and I would just list the first book as usual in the query. ("My novel NOVEL was published by [publisher].") If it can't stand alone, then I think that's going to be a problem. Agents very rarely pick up the second in a series if the first has been published -- unless the first is selling like hotcakes.

TRezvani
12-07-2015, 11:51 PM
You could mention it if it has sold a significant number of copies...like tens of thousands.