Sufganiyot for Hanukkah

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Latkes I can make, (but if you're curious here are a couple of nifty recipes for latkes), but I've tried making Sufganiyot, and while they tasted fine, they were, well, let's just leave it at hideously ugly.

Thinking I might try again, with this recipe: Sufganiyot

Not sure if I'm going to campaign for brisket or not. Anyone else cooking for Hanukkah?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to make it easy on yourself for latkes, use the shredded hash browns from the grocery store. No messing with the food processor or scraping your knuckles on the grater. And you don't have to worry about pressing the water out, they are already dry enough. They are usually in the refrigerated section near the eggs. Unless I'm making enough for an army, I don't grate the onion either, just chop it really fine.

Both those recipes look good. I was glad to see neither had matzo meal in them. The only deli/restaurant near me that makes latkes uses matzo in them instead of flour. It adds a flavor I'm not fond of.

I'm not Jewish, but one year we were invited to Passover at some friends' house. It was after tax season ended that year, so we could actually go. The husband was trying to make latkes while the wife was busy with other dishes. They were appalling. Guess who made all the latkes that got served to guests.

MM

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Three things about latkes:

1. Make sure you drain the grated potato throughly. Press the shreds between paper towels if all else fails.

2. Have the cooking oil hot enough. You want that sizzle sound.

3. Use a bit of baking powder along with the egg/onion/flour if you're not making the latkes for Pesach.

Also, always make more than anyone could ever eat, because they eat them.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
We have latkes fairly often since Dale grew up on them--can't get him to eat them in any other way but with syrup, though.

Didn't plan to cook for Hanukkah; it's an idea.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We have latkes fairly often since Dale grew up on them--can't get him to eat them in any other way but with syrup, though.

Didn't plan to cook for Hanukkah; it's an idea.

Latkes with sour cream is my very favorite (really not great fat wise, but yogurt isn't the same), but they're good with apple sauce—and it's pretty easy to make the apple sauce on the day, too.

You can also make them savory rather than sweet; sweet potato with chile is good too.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Not a fan of Latkes but a fan of Hanukkah. But if you want to put honey on some dessert thing I'm all overit.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Latkes with sour cream is my very favorite (really not great fat wise, but yogurt isn't the same), but they're good with apple sauce—and it's pretty easy to make the apple sauce on the day, too.

You can also make them savory rather than sweet; sweet potato with chile is good too.

I love them with shaved smoked salmon and dill or chive sour cream sauce. Dale always says 'eww' when I suggest it. Hah!

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
I disappoint my family time and time again when I show such a dislike for most of the Jewish food that exist, but I love Sufganiyot, and now that you mention it, I hope to maybe cook it at home.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Nowadays there are lots of latke recipes out there that aren't potato at all -- beets, sweet potatoes, and zucchini all seem to be popular alternatives, but there are a lot of other variations. Some are savory, some sweet, some spicy. With all sorts of garnishes & accompaniments. There's a latke for everyone!

And Sufganiyot are just a fancy word for jelly donut. I love a religion that says Thou shalt eat jelly donuts.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Nowadays there are lots of latke recipes out there that aren't potato at all -- beets, sweet potatoes, and zucchini all seem to be popular alternatives, but there are a lot of other variations. Some are savory, some sweet, some spicy. With all sorts of garnishes & accompaniments. There's a latke for everyone!

And Sufganiyot are just a fancy word for jelly donut. I love a religion that says Thou shalt eat jelly donuts.

Last time I tried to make them, mine tasted fine, but looked like tumors.