Simple Spanish questions

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Agent says I need to put more emphasis on the multiracial nature of my characters. My narrator, a woman, and another male character are both Latino (though she's a Latina, of course.)

I know that in French, if even one member of a group is male, that makes the plural for the whole group male. Is it the same in Spanish? Would she say "he and I were the only Latinos"?

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Yes, it's identical in Spanish. If one referred to a group of her female friends, it's "mis amigas." If male or a mixed male/female group, it's "mis amigos." She would indeed say, "He and I were the only Latinos." Every time the gender gets mixed in the sentence, the article and noun endings revert to male.

I once wrote a book with a Cuban-American main character. For the ease of readers, anytime I tossed a Spanish term in, I had one of the other characters respond in a way that made it clear what had been said. Or I used simple expletives, like "¡Rayos!" or "¡Dios mediante!" which didn't need translation directly, but were clear from context.

PS, on that book I got very mixed opinions on whether the secondary characters tossed in too much Spanish, or not enough. Chacun á son goût, I say.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember Latino is not all one group. There are significant differences between people from mainland Spain, Mexico, Chile, and Cuba, for example.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Remember Latino is not all one group. There are significant differences between people from mainland Spain, Mexico, Chile, and Cuba, for example.

True...

"Latino" and "Hispanic" are not the same thing either...

Super condensed version - "Latino" refers to those from Latin America (so includes Brazil, but not Spain) - it's a geographic reference. "Hispanic" refers to Spanish speaking countries (so includes Spain, but not Brazil) - it's a language-based reference.

Katharine Tree

Þæt wæs god cyning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
katharinetree.com
Yes. I solidly mean "Latino" here, no doubts about that. Just wanted to check the correct plural.

Thanks muchly, everyone.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Agent says I need to put more emphasis on the multiracial nature of my characters. My narrator, a woman, and another male character are both Latino (though she's a Latina, of course.)

I know that in French, if even one member of a group is male, that makes the plural for the whole group male. Is it the same in Spanish? Would she say "he and I were the only Latinos"?

Si, senora. :)