Jayne Anne Phillips

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyc

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
After reading a few of her stories ("Sweethearts", "Stripper", "Slave") in various Flash Fiction and other anthologies I realize I must read more of her work. Now admittedly I'm not a novel fan and have not read her novels (yet) but my lord she is a poet! I just finished reading "Fast Lanes" and read "Black Tickets" a month or so ago which contains many flash length works (which she calls one-page fictions).

The stories, the sentences, the images she creates are pure poetry ..... literally in a number of cases .... but it never comes across (at least to me) as over-written or pretentious just very very vivid! There are a couple of her stories where it seems true poetry in a literal sense in that those few stories are virtually surreal images and poetry (I'm thinking of "Bluegill"), but almost all her work pushes the boundary of literary poetic greatness. It's no wonder she has received accolades from many corners.

Many of the stories are written in first person and I'm astonished at the various personas she is able to inhabit and writer from -- amazing just simply amazing.

Anyone interested in reading or writing short fiction must read these:

Black Tickets
Fast Lanes

Incredible stuff!

There are a few excerpts from each of these books on her website: http://jayneannephillips.com/

Last edited:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recomendation! I'll give those stories a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.