PDA

View Full Version : Capitalising titles?

efreysson
12-03-2015, 02:27 PM
My current WIP has various royal, military and religious titles, and I'm not sure how to handle those in English.

Am I correct in that they are capitalized in "Good morning, Princess Jane." but not in "he greeted princess Jane"?

Bing Z
12-03-2015, 03:36 PM
"Good morning, Princess Jane," Admiral Kirk greeted Princess Jane, who was the princess of Neverneverland, and fiancée of Princess Mary (yes, princess), who was formerly known as Prince John before the surgery. The transgender princess (or prince) was the sole child of King Charlie, who used to be Queen Charlie before his/her surgery, who governed the Kingdom of Coolchicks.

Chris P
12-03-2015, 04:16 PM
If used as a title, capitalize: "Princess Jane." If used as a noun, do not capitalize: "Jane was the princess."

In your example, both occurrences of "princess" should be capitalized.

efreysson
12-03-2015, 08:44 PM
I see. So if someone is addressed by title rather by name, it's capitalized?

Siri Kirpal
12-03-2015, 10:50 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

That's correct.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maryn
12-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Yes, if a title or a title and name takes the place of a name, you capitalize the title and name. When you use "the" or "that" and the title, no caps.

"Yes, Princess Jane, a bologna sandwich on white, right away." Maryn scuttled to the kitchen.
"Bologna on white for the princess," Maryn ordered. "Hurry up, Princess is waiting," Maryn said to the cook.
"The princess will just have to wait. I'm busy." The cook didn't look busy, but what did Maryn know?

Rabe
12-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Yes, if a title or a title and name takes the place of a name, you capitalize the title and name. When you use "the" or "that" and the title, no caps.

"Yes, Princess Jane, a bologna sandwich on white, right away." Maryn scuttled to the kitchen.
"Bologna on white for the princess," Maryn ordered. "Hurry up, Princess is waiting," Maryn said to the cook.
"The princess will just have to wait. I'm busy." The cook didn't look busy, but what did Maryn know?

Hrmmmmm....in many instances here I would argue that the uncapitalized 'princess' is being used as a pronoun and therefore should be capitalized, mainly because the 'princess' in reference is actually the Princess. Now, if the cook were talking about Maryn, then it would be a generic noun, but no...it's all pronoun for Princess Jane.

Bufty
12-13-2015, 07:04 PM
By 'many' do you mean both instances?

Maryn is correct.

And - "Hurry up. The princess is waiting." would also change the capitalised Princess to a lower case version.