Capitalising titles?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
My current WIP has various royal, military and religious titles, and I'm not sure how to handle those in English.

Am I correct in that they are capitalized in "Good morning, Princess Jane." but not in "he greeted princess Jane"?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
"Good morning, Princess Jane," Admiral Kirk greeted Princess Jane, who was the princess of Neverneverland, and fiancée of Princess Mary (yes, princess), who was formerly known as Prince John before the surgery. The transgender princess (or prince) was the sole child of King Charlie, who used to be Queen Charlie before his/her surgery, who governed the Kingdom of Coolchicks.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If used as a title, capitalize: "Princess Jane." If used as a noun, do not capitalize: "Jane was the princess."

In your example, both occurrences of "princess" should be capitalized.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I see. So if someone is addressed by title rather by name, it's capitalized?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if a title or a title and name takes the place of a name, you capitalize the title and name. When you use "the" or "that" and the title, no caps.

"Yes, Princess Jane, a bologna sandwich on white, right away." Maryn scuttled to the kitchen.
"Bologna on white for the princess," Maryn ordered. "Hurry up, Princess is waiting," Maryn said to the cook.
"The princess will just have to wait. I'm busy." The cook didn't look busy, but what did Maryn know?

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if a title or a title and name takes the place of a name, you capitalize the title and name. When you use "the" or "that" and the title, no caps.

"Yes, Princess Jane, a bologna sandwich on white, right away." Maryn scuttled to the kitchen.
"Bologna on white for the princess," Maryn ordered. "Hurry up, Princess is waiting," Maryn said to the cook.
"The princess will just have to wait. I'm busy." The cook didn't look busy, but what did Maryn know?

Hrmmmmm....in many instances here I would argue that the uncapitalized 'princess' is being used as a pronoun and therefore should be capitalized, mainly because the 'princess' in reference is actually the Princess. Now, if the cook were talking about Maryn, then it would be a generic noun, but no...it's all pronoun for Princess Jane.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By 'many' do you mean both instances?

Maryn is correct.

And - "Hurry up. The princess is waiting." would also change the capitalised Princess to a lower case version.