PDA

View Full Version : Someone to read first 30 pages of novel set in Italy

Foolonthehill
12-01-2015, 11:06 PM
I have written the umpteenth draft of a novel set in Tuscany (Italy). It is about 13 year-old girl who has come to live with her mother and her Italian boyfriend, a sculptor, in a farmhouse in the countryside. I am looking for someone to read the first 30 pages or so, to tell me if they “work”. I think someone who loves Italy and possibly a woman would be the kind of reader who might enjoy this. I am not quite sure if I can call this Young Adult, but bear in mind the story is told from the point of view of the 13 year-old.
I am definitely not looking for a tough beta reader, probably more on the gentler side.... to start off with at least as I sometimes feel I am one step from dumping this novel for good!
I hope I have posted this in the right place.
Thanks!

NanMartin
12-10-2015, 05:09 AM
I'm currently reading a full length ms, but if you give me a couple of weeks--if that timeframe works for you--it sounds like something I'd be interested in. I haven't been to Italy in more than 30 years and then only went to Rome so if you need someone with more working experience of the countryside and the culture, I mightn't work for you. Otherwise, I'll message you when I'm free.

Sammie
12-18-2015, 01:12 AM
Hello! I am currently free right now to help you! I'll do my best to help you if you are still looking for a beta.

newauth
12-18-2015, 04:57 AM
You might want to consider the Share Your Work board as well, since this is a short excerpt. Or pick the first 10 pages and share it there.

And toughen your skin; don't be afraid of the tough crits. :) It'll help you improve, trust me. If you're in love with the story, you won't ever drop it completely--even if you get disheartened and move on now, you'll come back to it one day! Have some faith and learn to use the punches to identify problems you can't easily see yourself.

Foolonthehill
12-18-2015, 12:39 PM
Thanks everyone and thanks for your offers and support, I am actually having my second child tomorrow, so I'll be out of a touch for a few days! I'll get back to you