Holiday Stories

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody into it yet? I'm beginning to be. I start to think of Christmases past, that kind of thing. Our house was Christmas Eve Central when I was growing up, at least from the time when I was about twelve or thirteen. Both sides of the family, all of the family, no one dared have their own Eve Party 'cause they knew our house was where it was all happening. My mother was a world class party thrower. The best finger foods, meatballs, shrimp, liver wrapped with bacon, mushrooms stuffed with crab, and the first thing she'd do when an adult walked into the house was hand them a drink. For those who were not yet of age, there was always champagne punch, and whatever you could sneak into your system when my Uncle Lando, designated bartender 'cause that's what he did in life, had his head turned the other way.

House packed with people, family and neighbors, my friends, my brother's friends, a lot of laughs, the occasional ruckus break out, it was as much fun as I've had on Christmases even all these years later.

How does the way you spend your holidays now differ from the way you spent your holidays as a kid or even as a young adult? One thing I used to like was during the holiday weeks, hanging out in the local bars, all the high school friends you hadn't seen in a while would emerge and rematerialize. In some cases, you'd remember that you used to like each other, maybe even had a bit of thing for each other--holidays, I had found, were great for rekindling those kinds of things. So much fun.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For many years we hosted Christmas Eve for my husband's family, because we had the biggest house. That was their big deal. Fancy dinner, usually prime rib, lots of sweets, wine. Gift opening started at midnight, and went on until whenever. Almost all the older generation is gone now, one BIL and his family live out of state, so it is just a small group that will take dinner to my MIL in the afternoon. It is too difficult for her to leave her home.

When I still lived at home it was Christmas Day. We would open gifts first thing in the morning, still in our pajamas. Then had a repeat of the Thanksgiving feast. My Dad was AF, so even though we were only 4 there were usually a few strays that were invited for the feast. One year Dad had a guy working for him who was from Hawaii. His Mom was so grateful he was invited somewhere that she sent a huge box of exotic Hawaiian flowers to my Mom.

Good memories.

MM

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you had some great ones. It occurs to me that what's killed the holidays for many of us is geographical distance.

Rachelgrant6

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still not out of the house yet. So my Christmas consists of opening presents from my parents under the tree first and of course my mom has to take a picture before we get to the living room. Then once those are open we eat cheesy sausage balls and wait for my grandparents to get there and then we open everything else. It's a pretty standard Christmas but it never gets old

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel, that sounds absolutely wonderful.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
We still own a big two story house, my sister and her husband live there. We don't always use it for holidays but this Christmas we will. The house is some thirty miles from my house and almost an hour from my brother's house so we will have about ten people under one roof, plus another related family across the alley. The kids, shirt tail cousins, will get all mixed up when it comes to dining and sleeping arrangements. My sister will have her brand new grand son, her first, because his parents just moved to Missouri from Houston so there has to be a tree with lots of sparkle and a big family meal. I make it a point to have Christmas shopped and wrapped by Thanksgiving, sometimes Halloween. This takes the pressure off the gift end of the holiday.

My sibs and i are already discussing menus and gifts. I have a snow globe for the baby. I always buy a snow globe for the first gift. Two of my grand kids, Zeke and Isabella, will stay in Florida so I will be missing them, especially Zeke. Sears Roebuck delivered his new trike from Grammy this Monday. Grammy won't miss seeing him find it under the tree. And will probably get a fashion show from Bella--thank god for e-mails and pix. I remember my own grand parents waiting weeks for Christmas snapshots of my cousins in England opening their presents. Sometimes we didn't get the films until Easter. We'd have a family Sunday to watch our cousins on film. That much is different.

There is a pink pump action BB gun under a bed thirty miles from here, hidden from Mrs. Snoop Magnolia. She has already been into a couple of cousin's gifts, hidden from them at my house. One is a doll. Mazzy is very definite about "the burringness of dolls" so I am pretending not to notice that the packages have been compromised. Let her worry that the doll is hers. She has it coming. I'm sure her cousin Mathilda, a known doll freak, has found the BB gun under the bed and is sweating that gift. Some things never change--s6

Oh, and it won't all be sweetness and light. There will be drama. What is Christmas without drama?

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

For me, the big draw of the holidays was the tree lights and the singing of Christmas carols.

Once we all had Santa figured out, we opened our presents on Christmas Eve. But the meal was on Christmas itself, which we called "Waif Night," because we usually invited someone who had nowhere else to go.

We also sent out cards to everyone. A practice I still maintain.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite Christmas memories is from back when I was in 3rd or 4th grade.

I joined the school choir for the simple reason you got out of class to go to choir practice. Not because I could sing or was very religious.

The school choir sang in the church’s Christmas Eve Mass. My sister went to church early for rehearsal with our friends and our Dad took me. I was late for rehearsal that night because I was sitting in the car with my Dad listening to Cheech and Chong’s Christmas skit. We were laughing like a pair of loons.

Then as Mass was right about to start a woman goes walking down the main isle of the church. It was my Aunt. Being in the choir we were all up in the choir loft. I see her and forgetting to be quiet say “Hey there’s Aunt.” Half the church turns and looks as she walks right down to the front of the church to find a seat.

I found out later her car broke down and my Dad went to get her and that’s why she was late. One of the ushers tried to make her sit in the back pew and she refused. She said she came there to hear her nieces sing in the choir and she wasn’t doing that in the back row.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Oh, I remember our Christmases as kids. I was wonderful. It started on the First Sunday of Advent, when we put up the lights and started to decorate. My Mother would bake, because everyone came over for coffee and cakes. The smell kind of lingerd in the house, because she never quit baking after that.

Then came Saint Nicholaus, on December 6th. We had hung our stockings on our beds the night before, and lo and behold they were filled with candy and a small toy in the morning. Great. And my wonderful Mother, who, to my utmost sorrow passed in July, had freashly baked rolls for our breakfast with hot chocolate with cardamom... Yummy.

And on December 13th we would celebrate Lucia, with Saffron bread and lights in our hair, choir and just the anticipation what was yet to come. After that we would all start to try and correlate who makes what for The Big Christmas Smörgåsbord. Well, when we were kids we didn't have to participate in the making of it, but we surely participated in the eating of it.

Come Christmas Eve. We wake up, and there is one small gift hidden under our pillows. Which we were allowed to open. Then it was busy all day, cleaning, helping Mother and in general prepare for the grand afternoon. At three O'clock (in Sweden) there is the traditional Disney hour on TV. If you're not from Sweden, you could never understand, but that hour all of Sweden is shut down. Everyone is watching it. Might sound weird, but it has become such a tradition...

After that we eat. And eat..., and then we have some more to eat. All washed down with generous amounts of liquids according to everyones taste, or liver stamina...

And then, when everything has been cleared, dishes done and whatnot, it is time for Santa... We always pick a representative to play the role, and his job is to hand out the gifts from under the tree. Each gift comes with an appropriate rhyme, which is read, and then everyone tries to guess what it is and whom it is for. This can take hours, and it is a good Santa who can still see to read at the end of it.

Christmas day is a day of reflection, and also a day of trying to mend the old liver. The kids are told to eat leftovers and play with their new toys. Usually, as I remember from my own childhood, that was a very good thing, because by that time the kids have had it with the adults.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A large part of Christmas when I was a kid was sitting with my siblings as close to the tree as we could get, admiring the ornaments, guessing about our gifts, squinting at the colored lights so they looked like stars. Because my family was so large (nine of us altogether), we opened our gifts to each other on Christmas Eve. My father would sit cross-legged on the floor and pass out the gifts, announcing each one ("To David from Julie! To Mommy from Margaret!"). I still remember being overwhelmed by the sound of everyone ripping paper and talking all at once. Initially my mother tried to make us take turns so each gift could be admired and the giver thanked appropriately, but when you have so many excited kids that's impossible - and IMO, the mayhem added to the joy.

As soon as my parents could get us to bed, they did "Santa" - in other words, they filled our stockings. According to my mother, this took several hours, as she had accumulated and hidden stocking stuffers for several months and first had to find them, then to dole them out into seven stockings. (It was a joke in my family for years that it wasn't Christmas unless Mom overlooked something and presented it to you around Epiphany.) There were always items that wouldn't fit in the stockings, so each of us had a designated spot (mine was usually on the sofa) and Mom would arrange stockings and the spillover very artfully, like store displays. I'd sometimes wake up before dawn and creep into the living room to peek at my display, but I'd never touch anything until someone else got out of bed. We always had a tangerine and a banana in our stocking, if only to encourage us to eat something before we went to Christmas Mass - always a wrench, to leave such bounty behind in order to dress, pack into the car and drive to church. When we got home we'd head for the living room to play with our toys, with Dad riding herd on us, while my mother, poor woman, disappeared into the kitchen to deal with the Christmas turkey.

I had a sudden, very strong memory while writing this: one year all my sibs seemed to have such exciting toys that they had no interest in playing my brand-new Scrabble Junior game with me. I moped into the kitchen to whine to my mother, who was up to her elbows in stuffing. She wiped her hands, helped me set up the board on a corner of the kitchen table, and played the game with me in between chopping and roasting and blending.

Dad is long gone, and Mom is 94 now. For the first time in ages, my husband and I will be spending the holidays with her, and I must be sure to tell her that story. She'll enjoy it. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to remember it, Maze Runner.

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I had a sudden, very strong memory while writing this: one year all my sibs seemed to have such exciting toys that they had no interest in playing my brand-new Scrabble Junior game with me. I moped into the kitchen to whine to my mother, who was up to her elbows in stuffing. She wiped her hands, helped me set up the board on a corner of the kitchen table, and played the game with me in between chopping and roasting and blending.

Dad is long gone, and Mom is 94 now. For the first time in ages, my husband and I will be spending the holidays with her, and I must be sure to tell her that story. She'll enjoy it. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to remember it, Maze Runner.

A good mom, you've got. Thanks for sharing it.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Occurs to me to tell you: I've got a Christmas story titled The Kangaroo's Hosanna posted in the Memoir section of SYW (password is vista). A story of Christmas singing and parental heroism. (I'm terrible at posting links, so I'll let you track it down if you're interested.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
One of my best Christmas memories is of the school Christmas exchange. I almost always got a Lifesaver Book. To this day I stock a couple to give as last minute gifts. The next best gift was bubble bath in assorted scents. Even Tomboys like a bubbly soak. My mom and I always took great care shopping for the exchange and it was so much fun to watch the kid who got my present smile and hold it up. I usually went in for those chocolate oranges that break into sections. Had to talk my mom out of handkerchiefs or mittens almost every year. Still buy the oranges for my neighbor kids.

Yesterday I took my car in to the dealership for a repair--wheel bearing, timing flux capacitor (?) and oil leak so you know I was stressed about money. I ran into one of my oldest friends, a salesman at the dealership, now part time because like me, he is retired. We were neighbors back in the day, fast friends from the time we could get out of our yards. We ran with a gang of neighbor kids that are all scattered or deceased now. We hardly ever see each other but when I do, I don't see an old man--I see my good buddy Ronnie still wearing green corduroy pants and sneakers, holding a model car. He must still see the little blonde tomboy that i was.

We started with stories of our latest spills and sprains thanks to the ice storm. He fell off a ladder putting up a wreath. I fell in my front yard and my poor neighbor boys came running to help me. So embarrassing! Double chocolate oranges for them this year!

Then we began reminiscing about Christmases past and my checkbook faded from my mind. We rehashed the Christmas when we all--the whole gang--got football helmets for Christmas and had a giant snowball fight on Christmas morning. One of us (not me) clocked our neighbor's brand new Edsel with a snowball. He charged out of his house in his Santa pajamas hollering bloody murder. We had to scatter on ice and kept falling down.

Other people at the dealership were listening in, laughing, saying that they remembered old Norm (the neighbor), too bad about his being gone but an Edsel? What was he thinking? It was a great small town moment--the kind of memories I want to give my own kids and grand kids. Something to crawl into when the whole world seems to have gone bloody, barking mad.--s6

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
That was so great, shakeysix. I wonder if it's still at all like that for a kid in your small town. I also wonder how different it really was/is for a kid growing up in a city. In a way, a neighborhood is like a small town for a kid.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not quite the same. We tend to keep a closer eye on the kids nowadays, even in a town of 1,000 like the one I live in now. My neighborhood gang and I used to ride our bikes miles out of town, exploring creeks and an old Indian Fort on the Santa Fe Trail. That doesn't happen anymore. Even teens aren't allowed to roam far without check ins.

I lived across the state in a place called Dodge City--yes, it is a real place-- for thirty years, no extended family at all there, so I lost touch with most of my classmates and even my cousins.

I only moved back to my home territory some ten years ago. It is still kind of weird for me to have a fender bender, jump out of my car and find my second cousin in the other car, so we make a lunch date instead of arguing.

My husband was from New York, Hicksville actually, but spent his holidays in a small Pennsylvania town in the Wyoming Valley with his grandparents, cousins, uncles and aunts. Small town was the life we wanted for our kids but there are some drawbacks, like I said, there will always be drama. All things considered, it was a good choice. The novels I write are set in small towns. The characters are usually related. Don't think I could write life any other way.--s6

Last edited: