A sixteen year old kid asked famous writers about symbolism...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
http://mentalfloss.com/article/3093...ism-their-work-and-whether-it-was-intentional

"It was 1963, and 16-year-old Bruce McAllister was sick of symbol-hunting in English class. Rather than quarrel with his teacher, he went straight to the source: McAllister mailed a crude, four-question survey to 150 novelists, asking if they intentionally planted symbolism in their work. Seventy-five authors responded. Here’s what 12 of them had to say. (Copies of the survey responses can be found at the Paris Review.)"

Ray Bradury, Isaac Asimov, Ayn Rand, John Updike, Joseph Heller.. The list goes on.

I guess a few people here might get a kick out of this :)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I guess a few people here might get a kick out of this :)

I love the breadth of answers, and how they're more or less exactly what I expected.

My favorite is probably this one:

"There is much more symbolism in ordinary life than some critics seem to realize."

Jozzy

Please, sir, I want some more.
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Bradbury's answers. Also the proofreading marks.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Asimov and Bradbury made sense to me. Most of the others sounded like they hadn't really thought about it, and just made up answers on the spot.

This much I know. Critics and English professors will find symbolism in your work even if you did not intentionally place it there, and even if it isn't there at all.

This I also know. Even when a writer intentionally places symbolism in a work, most critics will miss it, and point at something else, and very, very, very few readers give a damn either way. I've never met a reader who gave a damn about symbolism, unless that reader was a writer, or in a creative writing class. General readers just don't care. They're after story and character, not symbolism.

I think Bradbury had it right with all his answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.