• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Experienced Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazaa

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
I have been a true book worm for 10 years and Betaing for two. I love to read and absorb an average of a book a day.
Favorite Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Erotica, Western, Alien, and Historical
But I am willing to read and have read everything in between.
Contact me for more info
[email protected]

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
That's a really generous offer.

I find myself a bit leery though after hearing this story a few years ago: https://litreactor.com/news/school-teacher-steals-christian-romance-sexes-it-up

Synopsis, a woman wrote a Christian Romance with no sex in it, self-published and sent it to some reviewers. One of the reviewers liked it so much she decided to add some sex scenes and self-publish it as an original work. It took several years and much heartache (the thief went to Goodreads, Amazon etc. to trash her work using numerous sock puppet accounts) for the original author to finally get control of her work back.

When other authors do beta writing for me, I can see from their presence here and their work that they're serious writers and I think that makes such theft a lot less likely, at the very least they had to work to gain my trust. Here, you've just got one post (and you've posted the same thing to a half-dozen other sites).

I guess what I'm asking is, why should I trust you with my blood, sweat, and tears?

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Makes my distrustful nature stand up and look around.

Also, zazaa, not a good idea to post your email publicly.

Last edited:

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
It's your newness. That's got to wear off, with time spent around the Water Cooler, before folks get to trust you. That and writers learn to be careful real quick in here. Check out that Writer's Beware forum and you'll see what I mean. I've barely visited this place and all my naivete's been scraped off. It burned.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've barely visited this place and all my naivete's been scraped off. It burned.
Yes, but it's what scents the AW candles we all enjoy on winter nights.

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...thought that was B.O. Still learning, I guess.

Glyax

Self-proclaimed Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
So uh, reflecting my literary newness lol, what is a beta? (I believe I've been unconsciously utilizing beta readers, but figured why not ask the skeptical, knowledgeable lot here :). I appreciate the helpful cynics you all are :) reveals your experience ). Also, was being serious about what's in the (), hard to differentiate sarcasm and sincerity through text on a phone

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
So uh, reflecting my literary newness lol, what is a beta? (I believe I've been unconsciously utilizing beta readers, but figured why not ask the skeptical, knowledgeable lot here :). I appreciate the helpful cynics you all are :) reveals your experience ). Also, was being serious about what's in the (), hard to differentiate sarcasm and sincerity through text on a phone

A beta reader will read your writing and provide constructive criticism on your work. This intro sticky and accompanying sticky are good starter point -- all of the subforums here at AW have 'sticky' posts at the top of the post index (with yellow sticky note icons, permanently at the top of the list here) which cover some really important questions, and this Beta Reader subforum has quite a few brilliant sticky posts.

A lot of people skim over the sticky posts automatically, but they're really useful to get a feel for each area, and often contain some really great writing advice. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.