PDA

View Full Version : A thought about cover art

MarlynnOfMany
11-27-2015, 09:54 PM
That thought is pay a professional.

I was considering drawing the cover to my book since I'm an artist too, or maybe drawing the lineart and paying one of the artists I follow online to do the colors.

I'm glad I didn't. Especially since I just realized how very late a certain paid commission is -- I ordered two drawings this summer from an artist who promised to get right on it, and promptly did no such thing. It's been half a year, and I've only gotten one of those drawings, and that one took an insane amount of handholding and reminders. I can't imagine what I'd go through if the release of my first book was waiting on that kind of unprofessional ineptitude.

Stick with the proven professionals, folks! That was a near-miss that I don't wish on anyone. Self-publishing is stressful enough.

Interfaced
11-28-2015, 10:48 AM
Cover art and design is one of the most important aspects of making your book connect with readers and sell, so I'm surprised that a lot of people still don't put much effort/money/time into it.

A quick tip - I was able to find a great concept artist on some 3D development boards (for the Unreal Engine) who was able to do a full custom illustration for my book at a good price ($150 - and it was only that much because it was done at a large size/high resolution). I had larger aspirations of doing some VR scenes to accompany the launch, which didn't pan out because of various reasons, but I found a great artist in the process and was able to salvage some of their work for the cover and some promo pieces for social media. Concept artists are used to doing pieces quickly to a high standard, and often do the basic design live in conversation. Worth checking out if you wanted something more illustrative (I really wanted to mimic the look of old sci-fi books of the 70s/80s).

LSMay
11-28-2015, 12:28 PM
I have used a professional artist and had custom covers made so far. I'm always looking for premades that might fit my novels, though, in the hope of saving a few dollars.

My (lack of) art skills means I would never try it myself.

Abderian
11-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Premade cover sale here until 3rd Dec. $US34 http://www.premadeebookcovers.co.uk/

ebbrown
11-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Cover art and design is one of the most important aspects of making your book connect with readers and sell, so I'm surprised that a lot of people still don't put much effort/money/time into it.

Agreed.

scott123
11-29-2015, 09:52 AM
agreed, the cover for your new book looks great by the way.

Old Hack
11-29-2015, 12:39 PM
This is such an important point and I'm glad you made it. But we have a whole room dedicated to cover design, so I'm going to move this from Self Publishing to the Cover Design room, where it's a much better fit.

Ken
11-29-2015, 03:59 PM
References are good, if you can get them, even with professionals. You can gain a lot of insight by speaking with a former client, e.g. how prompt they were with sending the art.

MarlynnOfMany
11-30-2015, 02:01 AM
I'm going to move this from Self Publishing to the Cover Design room, where it's a much better fit.

Whoops, totally missed that! Thanks.