PDA

View Full Version : The Annotated Reacher

MonkeyPants
11-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Saw this article about the writing process of Lee Child and thought it was worth a share.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/11/22/sunday-review/the-annotated-reacher.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

A Cambridge lecturer and Child discuss the opening of the latest Reacher book and break down some of the choices Child made when writing, and some of the things that aren't really choices at all, but just come out of that magic writer-place without conscious thought. I'm a big process-nerd, so this kind of breakdown of an author's process is pretty awesome to see.

Filigree
11-25-2015, 08:26 PM
I read partway through the annotations and abandoned them: they come across as ultra-congratulatory, almost sycophantic...and useless to me as a writer.

Jamesaritchie
11-26-2015, 12:44 AM
I may be in the minority, but I simply can't read Lee Child's writing. There was a time I could, but that time is past. It bores me to tears. Probably a matter of taste, but if ever a write did everything wrong except for character, it's Child.

Tottie Scone
11-26-2015, 01:39 AM
I couldn't make the annotations work. I could see they were meant to be some kind of link, but they wouldn't open for me.

Some kind of new-fangled whipper-snapper hoity-toity nonsense, no doubt. What's wrong with good old plain HTML, eh? Eh?

*shuffles off, grumbling and brandishing ear trumpet*