Britain's "Bad Sex" awards are underway for the 2015 entries...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I'm at work. I DON'T DARE CLICK.

(But I will when I get home. :evil )

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
oh, dear.

well, if the authors meant to make me giggle, they succeeded.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
all I know is, if anyone dares to compare my breasts to sheep frolicking in hyssop, I'll smack him across his citrus crescent.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I do wish he'd been more specific about the "citrus crescent". Is it yellow and pocked like a lemon, or smooth and green like a lime, or is it like when you wedge an orange peel between your lips and gums and grin? What are we talking about here?

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
At least that's a biblical quote, and has the good excuse of translation from an ancient language for being oblique and strange.

What's Morrisey's excuse?

His is my favourite. Some of the others, I'm ashamed to say, I struggle to tell what's wrong with them. This is why I don't write sex scenes. I'd be in with a good shout at winning this.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not reading past the pained frenzy of his bulbous salutation. It might explode.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm not sure that last one is even talking about sex. It sounds more like the lady is having a bad reaction to a dose of bath salts or something.

- - - Updated - - -

What's Morrisey's excuse?

His is my favourite.
Yeah, I think he's a shoo-in for the award.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I can only think Morrissey was deliberately trying to be funny. There can be no other explanation for this:

a dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation with Eliza’s breasts barrel-rolled across Ezra’s howling mouth

by the way, where exactly is the "otherwise central zone" of the female body?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I have to agree. Morrisey for the win.

I mean, it's not just that the sex is hilarious but how long is that sentence?

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
...footprints of a sandpiper like a crotch,

I think due to the reference of "sandy tar paper" earlier in the paragraph (which already sounds distinctly unpleasant), I initially misread this as:

"footprints of a sandpaper-like crotch,"

Ouch.

Then, realizing that couldn't be right, I looked at it again and thought it said:

"footprints of sandpaper like a crotch."

Ouch.

...Maybe I need glasses.

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I might need a translator, because I can't figure out what the hell it means. Your versions are indeed unpleasant-sounding, but at least they make sense.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yeah, I'm not sure how the footprints of either sandpaper or sandpipers are analogous to crotches. 'Tis a puzzlement.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure how the footprints of either sandpaper or sandpipers are analogous to crotches. 'Tis a puzzlement.

Hmmm.

Excuse me while I retire to the ladies' room with a mirror.

ETA:

Nope. Still don't get it.

Last edited:

Tottie Scone

Registered
Reaction score
I get that. Draw a bird's footprint, back toe downwards, 3 front toes up the way.

To react as the character does, you need both a dirty mind and a good knowledge of ornithology.

I have to say, I found the thing with the gallons of milk funny.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I get that. Draw a bird's footprint, back toe downwards, 3 front toes up the way.

To react as the character does, you need both a dirty mind and a good knowledge of ornithology.

I'm so very me that I actually looked up what a sandpiper's footprint looks like before I responded upthread. I have a dirty mind and I don't see it.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
*glances at photo of footprints*
*glances at mirror*

yeah, still not seeing it. and trust me, I have a dirty mind.

On the milk thing -- I initially read it as "gallons-of-milk-evoking boobs" (i.e., her boobs evoked thoughts of gallons of milk). But now I see (I think) that the writer meant that for Lotto (gads, what a name), looking at gallons of milk generally tended to evoke thoughts of boobs.

Either way, I spent far more time puzzling over that paragraph than it deserved.

Also -- the paragraph notes that Gwennie was "dry." So why did sex with her make him think of "mangoes, split papayas, fruits tart and sweet and dripping with juice"? (Obviously, it made several of us think of sandpaper.) Was it wishful thinking? Or did he have his mind on lunch?

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

Interesting. I envisioned it the opposite way, three toes pointing down and back toe pointing up (like a peace sign without the circle). Viewed that way, it vaguely resembles a remarkably well-endowed stick figure with no arms, but it's a stretch.

... I went back and looked at them the way you describe, and I guess you're seeing it as labia majora meeting the line of closed legs?

More than anything, though, they look to me like little arrows saying, "Check it out! I was right over there a minute ago!"

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
More than anything, though, they look to me like little arrows saying, "Check it out! I was right over there a minute ago!"

What an interesting idea for a tattoo.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
I had a hard time getting passed the "dangerous and clamorous rollercoaster coil of sexually violent rotation..."

I'm pretty sure that would cause whiplash.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
A lot of times, the "bad sex" awards strike me as passages taken so badly out of context that of course they sound strange and embarrassing.

Not this year. Eek.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
Oh God.

Writing erotica is hard. Maybe I should rephrase that. Writing erotica is difficult. There are only so many ways to describe what is basically an exercise in engineering and the assembly of flat pack furniture. Insert tab A into slot B.

We want to convey the impression of breathlessness and frenzy so we write long sentences with clauses that tumble over each other. We might want to be coy and find new euphemisms for body parts. We want to describe intense emotional feelings that are very hard (that word again) to put onto paper. Well, just how do you describe an orgasm?

And in our heads we have this amazing perception where our writing is sheer poetry, combined with animal lust, combined with exotic lingerie ... And then we look down on the page and we see that we have written "bulbous salutation", "otherwise central zone", "citrous crescents" and other such twaddle.

I can't write erotica. I have the greatest of respect for those who can. It's very hard.

Morrissey all the way. To be fair (and hopefully within the bounds of RYFW) I don't think that his problems are confined to the sex scenes in his book.

Status
Not open for further replies.