Email Privacy Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheddarBug

Registered
Reaction score
If you're talking with someone about writing "your love story" and pointblank ask them if they want you to, what rights does "yes" give you? From my understanding that allows me the right to appropriate the likeness of said person. But what about invasion of privacy and copyright laws? If the emails in question are reworded/rewritten (to avoid plagiarizing) and all the personal (medical history, etc) tidbits are removed does that help?

I'm merely curious. I'd like to include some of them, but want to be sure of legal standing. I could just ask the person, only we aren't currently speaking.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
There are a few questions there, and I don't know the answers, but it is worhtwhile to find out who owns an email that has been sent.

This article describes how things have not been defined in the UK.
http://www.privacyanddatasecuritylaw.com/that-e-mail-is-mine-or-is-it-who-owns-an-e-mail-message

You probably should ask a lawyer and try to find a way around the issue, just in case. With letters the matter was firmly decided, but I can't remember what it was. You might want to search for an answer online before you pay a lawyer. There is a chance that it will be changed, but now in the U.S., at least, you own the copyright to anything that you write effective from the moment of creation, and that may be relevant to emails also.

Last edited:

CheddarBug

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not actually worried about the issue of copyright. As stated, not only did I receive a yes in writing the story, but rewriting/rewording the emails (including removing bits of information, adding in others) changes the original email.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
The internet really isn't the best place for legal advice. You'd do best seeking a paid professional.

Here's the thing. No lawyer worth her or his salt is going to give you legal advice without knowing the full details and you're asking them to work for free. If this is important, pay a professional to give you advice pertinent to your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.