• Switching between two POV characters

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lise8

Registered
Reaction score
My first draft was full of head-hopping.
My second had three POV characters, with their respective scenes whenever they had the most at stake.
My third draft shrunk to two POV characters, the protagonist and the antagonist.
I am now in my fourth draft, and strongly considering sticking to one POV... But I am in mourning some of the insights on the antagonist's goals and mindset that are getting lost in the process.

So before I go further along with my editing and butchering, can I just ask what is your favourite style to read: One POV main character (most mainstream books), or you'd rather enjoy being in the both main characters' heads (Rainbow Rowell Eleanor and Part style)?

I am looking forward to finding out what you guys think and what your advice might be to help me make the 'best' decision.

(last bit of info: this story is mainstream contemporary, the main plotline twisting around how our morals impact our choices.)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly don't have a preference.

As a reader, sometimes I appreciate knowing things one of the characters doesn't know, and other times it comes off as a cheap trick to set the stage for something the writer doesn't know how else to set up. However, sometimes I enjoy not knowing something, and being caught as off guard as the character. Obviously the second POV shouldn't give everything away.

So what do you want to accomplish? Does the second POV make the reader want to know what happens next? Or does it simply explain something so the reader isn't lost when the next thing happens? What does the second POV bring that would be lacking without it? With two POVs, you need (in my opinion) two mutually supportive progressions of character development. Do you have these? Does the second POV character have his or her own struggles--with payoff at the end, or does he or she simply play backup to the main-main character? Remember that different readers will connect with different POV characters. Those who fall in love with the "backup" character will feel cheated when the greater story is all about the "hero."

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I love several povs. One of my favorite books is A Constellation of Vital Phenomena. It has at least three. I like the feeling of opening out I get from reading them; not stuck in one mindset. But Chris makes some good points.

With your stated theme about morals impacting choices, I can see how a dual pov might work. In the end, give the single one a try for a couple of chapters, trying to fold in the original 2nd pov and see if that works. You may find out quickly which way to go. I think your gut will tell you - or the actual character will stomp his/her foot and insist on remaining.

Twig2

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes, with really good books, I get the feeling that the author also wrote (but didn't publish) many of the scenes from the other characters' POV.

I think, if you delete a POV, you can still benefit from having written it, as you can keep some of the information in the story. The POV character might not know what another person was just doing or thinking, but he can get clues from her mood, what she's wearing, what she's doing as he walks into the room, etc, and those clues become a lot easier to write if you've written out the entire scene from her perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.