PDA

View Full Version : Nudging an agent after 6 months futile?

mslizwil
11-15-2015, 08:50 PM
In the two cases in which I've had agents not respond after requesting my full ms, each one passed after I sent the six-month nudge email message. Is it safe to assume that if you have to nudge after six months, it's going to be a pass?

Perks
11-15-2015, 08:53 PM
No, I don't think so. (I'm not an agent, but I know a bunch of 'em.) It might be a "no" but there are a thousand other reasons that an agent might not have responded yet, and especially with a full delivered on request, a polite check-in would be completely understandable and appropriate.

Best of luck to you!

Sage
11-15-2015, 09:25 PM
I've heard of authors getting an offer after more than a year after their full was requested, so it's not safe to assume anything. Not all agents answer status queries, unfortunately, and many read fulls in the order that they requested them, sometimes leading to extraordinary long waits that don't mean anything. One of the reasons to status query, though, is to make sure that your submission or their response didn't get lost on the way. I've had agents who responded to SQs with, "Oh, no, I never received this one, please send again," and agents who responded with, "Oh, I thought I sent that. Sorry, it's a no." It's possible that one or more of those agents you nudged had already sent a "no" that you had never received. It's also possible that your nudge spurred them to take another look at the opening pages (or a first look if there were none with the query) and they decided no based off that quick look. It's possible their tastes have changed in 6 months or the market has changed in such a way that they don't think they can sell the book anymore (I've actually had that happen with a 6-month full). They may even just be in a bad mood about status queries, and decided to reject the next one they get (unlikely, but who knows?).

In other words, unless they gave you a reason, you can't really tell anything about why they took so long and why they rejected you after you SQ'd, and it also doesn't tell you anything about the next agent who has it for 6 months or more.

mslizwil
11-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful remarks.

JHFC
11-25-2015, 03:14 AM
I nudged after 8 months and got an email that said "Hold on a bit longer." Two months later, offer of representation.

mslizwil
11-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Thanks so much for responding, JHFC, and best of luck to you.

Chumplet
12-01-2015, 07:00 AM
I nudged on a "we always respond" query after three months, and got a 50 page request. At the same time, another similar SQ got me a rejection. It's a crap shoot.

mslizwil
12-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Dear Chumplet:

Thanks for your response and good luck to you.

mbowman
12-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Just make sure to nudge as polite as possible. Like a "sorry to bother you, but I am wondering if you have a status update on my submission." You want to leave a good impression, remember.

mslizwil
12-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Ok, thanks, mbowman, I did download some sample "nudge" letters from which I adapted my email-letter, but it bears remembering. Thanks for that.