PDA

View Full Version : Half Hour Film of Wheel of Time Chapter 1 On Youtube

Errant Lobe
11-12-2015, 04:04 PM
II am presenting here the opportunity for everyone here to look at what these film makers have done to publicly support the idea that the entire Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan can be filmed in the vein of Game of Thrones.

YouTube:
Flight From Shadow,

by epicleveltv

https://youtu.be/nt10nbVSerY

Errant Lobe
11-12-2015, 05:57 PM
For a fan's effort this take on the story is rather good. Look at what you can do with a little love and passion!

Filigree
11-12-2015, 10:43 PM
That was actually...quite good. It did what a trailer is supposed to do. And made me wonder about trying the series again, which I abandoned around book 4 or 5.

Errant Lobe
11-13-2015, 04:38 AM
Filigree, I think a series in this vein could readjust the short-comings of the books.
Besides, Filigree, I trust your judgement. If you like it, it must be good.

Errant Lobe
11-13-2015, 11:34 PM
If these film makers could somehow acquire the rights to The Wheel of Time books and continue to film it in this vein, this would be a watchable and possibly profitable TV series.

MikaelS
11-14-2015, 03:42 AM
Seems well made, will have to give it a watch.

Have you seen that episode released a while back on FXX? I believe it served as a prequel, though I'm not sure as I've yet to watch it. (it can be viewed on YouTube as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNYIEN1vIg)

Errant Lobe
11-14-2015, 07:03 AM
Seems well made, will have to give it a watch.

Have you seen that episode released a while back on FXX? I believe it served as a prequel, though I'm not sure as I've yet to watch it. (it can be viewed on YouTube as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNYIEN1vIg)

Read around a bit and you will understand this statement:
Watch it at your own risk. Shame on you, FXX!

Errant Lobe
11-14-2015, 07:47 AM
I am not saying that it happens here, but the knee-jerk reaction of some when approached with the subject of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is, Pure Unadulterated Crap!
Too unwieldy! Too convoluted! Too long!

But, what many don't realize is that fans do indeed see the short-comings of RJ's writing but it is just that we see the possibilities for where he was aiming. I love these books simply because I have not read the better ones that others have read and at the time that I first read him, the epicness of the interconnectivity blew me away.

I loved the intricacy of the politics and endured a lot of disappointment with most of the books, but I took notes about what I liked and still use those notes today.
The slow books that everybody hates I took notes on as a character study.

The above fan film suggests to me that with love and a lot of readjustments the entire series can be made right. The raw material is there.

Jenkki
11-14-2015, 09:01 AM
I can't help but think the actors would age from age 20 to 65 before the series completed. It's a warm idea but something that should probably done either with animation or decades from now, when completely believable CGI actors who are indistinguishble from actual humans can be employed.

Filigree
11-14-2015, 09:20 AM
I think CG or anime would be a better venue for it, too.

I don't only see the series' shortcomings, because for all those it was a stunning achievement. I just burnt out on it sometime in the mid-90s, and never found the time or will to go back. I'd lose track of the storyline between books...not something I do with work that truly enchants me. The Sanderson additions look interesting, so I may try to read the whole thing as a set. (Did that with Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond and Niccolo series, and wow, that was amazing.)

Fair warning, Errant Lobe: *I* don't even trust my judgement.

Errant Lobe
11-15-2015, 03:17 AM
I agree with the above statements and believe that it would require a number of people to do the casting of it, relative justice, so large in number, that it would take years to dramatize this story.

Errant Lobe
11-15-2015, 03:21 AM
This is a bold question, but can somebody bring all this to Harriet, Jordan's Widow, to give her a possible image of what to aim for in dealing with a film commitment?

Aggy B.
11-15-2015, 03:35 AM
I would suggest you send a letter via the address listed here (http://www.dragonmount.com/contact_rj.php).

Ideally, someone who wanted to pitch the project as a film series should contact them regarding optioning the rights. But the family may be gun-shy about that idea given the unauthorized FXX project prior to this.

Parametric
11-15-2015, 03:59 AM
Ideally, someone who wanted to pitch the project as a film series should contact them regarding optioning the rights. But the family may be gun-shy about that idea given the unauthorized FXX project prior to this.

The situation is quite complicated, but I believe that other project actually was authorised - or rather, it was made by a party (Red Eagle) who did option the dramatic rights for the Wheel of Time, although the pilot was just thrown together to avoid the rights reverting. I think. I'm not sure the rights are available right now even if Jordan's estate wanted to license them.

Aggy B.
11-15-2015, 04:46 AM
The situation is quite complicated, but I believe that other project actually was authorised - or rather, it was made by a party (Red Eagle) who did option the dramatic rights for the Wheel of Time, although the pilot was just thrown together to avoid the rights reverting. I think. I'm not sure the rights are available right now even if Jordan's estate wanted to license them.

Options on rights usually don't revert unless they stop paying for them. (I mean, they do revert at specific times, but usually there's a renewal option. But given they've optioned those rights before, they may not offer a renewal.) And the original statement from the Jordan estate said none of the parties who had optioned the rights appeared to be involved in the "pilot", but I dunno.

Just saying, if they were that displeased they may be more reluctant to option them again. The Tolkien estate was very reluctant to option the film rights to Jackson because they were concerned about how the material would be handled.

Errant Lobe
11-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Aggy B,
I did send a message through a contact us link. Thanks for the directions.

BradCarsten
11-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Options on rights usually don't revert unless they stop paying for them. (I mean, they do revert at specific times, but usually there's a renewal option. But given they've optioned those rights before, they may not offer a renewal.) And the original statement from the Jordan estate said none of the parties who had optioned the rights appeared to be involved in the "pilot", but I dunno.

Just saying, if they were that displeased they may be more reluctant to option them again. The Tolkien estate was very reluctant to option the film rights to Jackson because they were concerned about how the material would be handled.

From what I understand Red Eagle Entertainment had the rights to the series, and would lose those rights if they didn't produce something and air the first episode by a certain date, so they threw that POS together in a few hours and paid FXX to air it late at night. So it seems they found the loop hole. Personally I think they have no interest in creating a TV series, but just want to hold onto it in case someone wants it badly enough to pay them a lot of $ for it. Harriet said she was taking them to court over it, so lets hope she wins and gets the rights back.

Errant Lobe
11-18-2015, 04:42 PM
From what I understand Red Eagle Entertainment had the rights to the series, and would lose those rights if they didn't produce something and air the first episode by a certain date, so they threw that POS together in a few hours and paid FXX to air it late at night. So it seems they found the loop hole. Personally I think they have no interest in creating a TV series, but just want to hold onto it in case someone wants it badly enough to pay them a lot of $ for it. Harriet said she was taking them to court over it, so lets hope she wins and gets the rights back.

Where did you get the information about Harriet taking them to court, may I ask?

Errant Lobe
11-18-2015, 04:46 PM
I have said this before,
Reworking this series in another medium like film, is a perfect way to fix all its flaws. Cut a ton of extraneous stuff, tighten everything, improve plot-drive and use the forces of evil to deliver more action.

The Wheel of Time has the potential to be so beautiful!

Parametric
11-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Where did you get the information about Harriet taking them to court, may I ask?

ave might have a better source, but here are Harriet McDougal's original comments (http://www.tor.com/2015/02/09/wheel-of-time-pilot-harriet-statement/) after the airing of the pilot.

Errant Lobe
11-18-2015, 04:56 PM
ave might have a better source, but here are Harriet McDougal's original comments (http://www.tor.com/2015/02/09/wheel-of-time-pilot-harriet-statement/) after the airing of the pilot.

Thanks, Parametric. I will go there now.

Aggy B.
11-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Universal had the rights and they were about to revert back to Bandersnatch. I haven't dug far enough to see how Red Eagle got hold of it, but that was/is the basis of any legal action - that they were not licensed to do anything with the property and that the estate had not been able to view or approve it before it aired. (Which may have been a part of the option contract.)

The whole thing is strange.