Rage against the PayPal machine

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
Being in South Africa, it is generally difficult (and/or prohibitively expensive) to get paid through official channels for doing work for international clients. PayPal to the rescue (and Skrill, but slightly more expensive), and I thank all those in charge of technology that makes it possible for PayPal to exist.

I started using PayPal in April 2015, thus, I jumped through all the hoops to be verified so that I could use them for my international clients. I have been happily doing so until the beginning of November when I had a slight... ehem... hitch. The "Withdraw" button had disappeared. Lodge query. Wait for answer. Get automated reply telling me how to withdraw my money. Try and communicate but can't communicate with automated emails. Lodge more queries. More automated responses, BUT with a person's name (different every time) at the bottom with whom I cannot communicate in person. One automated response says... wait for it... as I'm from LATVIA, I have to lodge my documents again to be verified. Latvia? I can't recall translocating more than 15,000 km *scratch head* More queries, more automated responses.

I've relodged my documents and have tried to update my address (yes, it shows Latvia, but I cannot change it, it is automatically inserted).

I understand that PayPal has millions of clients, and I understand the logistics involved. But if I get automated responses with a person's name attached to it (or is that also a randomly chosen name from a database of names?), then why can't I communicate with that person with my query? In addition, some of those emails have a line, "If you need to clarify any details, then please contact blah blah" so why can't I?

So many questions with no answers *sigh*

Last edited:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You want me to Lavern them for ya?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could just tell you "oh this is how you do it" but I find PayPal to be utterly maddening as well. When they change something like that, and you can't get a clear answer, it really is this big impersonal construct holding your money hostage, neener neener neener.

I *have* had success getting clarification by calling them, but it takes forever and I don't recommend it unless you are truly desperate.

I suspect they changed the command for "withdraw" and it is hidden somewhere. And the responses you are getting are from underpaid, overworked minions running through some kind of troubleshooting list they have been taught and not really paying attention to your situation because they are desperate and bored and don't give a shit.

Sorry not to be more helpful. (Maybe someone else reading here knows the system better than I do and can give directions.)

Good luck!

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I use PayPal but rarely, so can't offer help.

(Maybe someone else reading here knows the system better than I do and can give directions.)

Yep, and you might want to edit your title to include something about PayPal, so it could attract their attention.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you go to your original first post, select Edit Post, and then select Go Advanced, you should be able to change the subject/title of the thread.

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
If you go to your original first post, select Edit Post, and then select Go Advanced, you should be able to change the subject/title of the thread.

You are a clever child! Thank you! One chocolate cake coming your way!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has to have eyeballs. :Cake:

:Thumbs: