Scientists who are experts in dinosaur anatomy?

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick question, as the thread title implies. What would be the descriptive title for a type of scientist who is an expert on the various types of dinosaur anatomy? Not just the species, although that's included, but actual details of biology?

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is a specific term. Vertebrate paleontologist with a specialization in dinosaur anatomy and physiology is the only thing that comes to mind.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Virtually any serious vertebrate paleontologist with a specialty in dinosaurs today will also be an expert on the details of dinosaur anatomy. That has been the central focus of dinosaur research for decades now. Two of the most prominent U.S. researchers are Jack Horner and Robert Bakker.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Paleontologist is the accepted term.

I've seen paleobiologist and paleophysiologist used but I'd stick with paleontologist.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
There really is no such thing as an expert in dinosaur physiology or anatomy. We have no examples of actual bodies to study. We have no examples of their behavior. The best that we have are some fossilized bones and possibly reasonable guesses regarding some physical capability. Every year they decide that, "Oh that head doesn't really go with that body," or, "That's not a different species, that's a juvenile form."

We don't know what their hemoglobin was like, or if they even had hemoglobin. Maybe it was something different? Whether you are talking about Ancient Human Archaeology regarding non-literate societies or Paleontology we have mostly tiny bits of evidence and then a lot of assumptions based on theories.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I was more worried about having missed a term than anything else. I didn't think there was anything more specific, but you never know...