Have you ever seen a ghost?

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
I have, I think. It was the beginning to the scariest night of my life.
I was 15 or 16. I was walking home from a friend's house at about 10 p.m (I didn't have a curfew). Anyway, the walk home was about 20 minutes, including a walk down a pretty desolate highway. As I got to the bend, I noticed there were drunk men drinking beer and arguing with each other. I didn't want them to see me in case they attacked me so I turned around and ran back down the highway towards the park/forest.
I have an awful fear of the dark but it was getting late. The only shortcut home was through a creepy, dark tree lined pathway. It was so dark I couldn't see what was in front of me as I walked. Out of nowhere, I could hear footsteps that didn't belong to me. Then something pulled my hair so hard I got whiplash. I screamed like a banshee and ran for my life. It was a windy night, but as I got to the end of pathway, everything went dead silent. I felt deaf. I turned around and saw this thing. I don't even know how to describe it. It certainly wasn't human. It was a weird shape, kind of inhuman and human at the same thing. The night was dark but this shadowy figure was oddly black, like an bright black that stood out against the darkness surrounding it. (I don't mean skin color, it was just a shape). It had no face or clothes, just blackness. It said nothing and it just stood there.
I was so scared. I started running again.
That's how I ended up in a barn with three of my creepy neighbors.

Last edited:

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
I have. I was about 14 and alone at home one night. I was reading in the lounge, NOT a ghost story.

BACKGROUND: My mom's mom had lived with us until about a month before she passed. Our house was built in a "T", with the kitchen on the one side of the top leg of the "T", then you could get to the bedrooms that were in the long leg either through the connection, or the other side of the "T" where the lounge was, walking through the dining room. Granny always wore long blue nightgowns and made her last cup of tea around 9:00 PM, and she would come through the dining room and lounge on the way to her bedroom.

Thus... She had passed away about 18 months before (if memory serves). I remember that I looked up from my book, saw her walking out of the kitchen with the cup of tea in her hand, in her blue nightgown, turn the corner and out of sight. I went back to reading my book without a second thought. Strange things did happen in that house, but nothing "poltergeisty". I think she just liked to hang around with us.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i once sat next to one on a bus. he claimed to be a 1200 year old spirit named fondaku.

he didn't look older than 30, but after smelling him, i determined his story checked out.

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
I have. I was about 14 and alone at home one night. I was reading in the lounge, NOT a ghost story.

BACKGROUND: My mom's mom had lived with us until about a month before she passed. Our house was built in a "T", with the kitchen on the one side of the top leg of the "T", then you could get to the bedrooms that were in the long leg either through the connection, or the other side of the "T" where the lounge was, walking through the dining room. Granny always wore long blue nightgowns and made her last cup of tea around 9:00 PM, and she would come through the dining room and lounge on the way to her bedroom.

Thus... She had passed away about 18 months before (if memory serves). I remember that I looked up from my book, saw her walking out of the kitchen with the cup of tea in her hand, in her blue nightgown, turn the corner and out of sight. I went back to reading my book without a second thought. Strange things did happen in that house, but nothing "poltergeisty". I think she just liked to hang around with us.

That's creepy. You just went back to reading your book after seeing a ghost? I would have fainted with fright.

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
That's creepy. You just went back to reading your book after seeing a ghost? I would have fainted with fright.

Nah, she didn't do anything. And... I was (am) weird, so I guess that had something to do with it :Shrug:

- added -

I see shapes and movement where there shouldn't be. Before we renovated our house, there was a constant presence, never aggressive but always just on the edge of vision. I don't think it liked the renovations, because I haven't felt it around since.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen one, but I've felt one.

We lost our little cat this past May. She slept on top of my legs every night. Like she was in my lap, but I was lying on my back. Not the night of the day she passed, but the next night, just as I was drifting off to sleep I felt her crawl up and lay down on my legs. It was comforting. Like she had come to say goodbye

MM

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
One time I slowly woke up to see a specter of death (like the grim reaper, perhaps, but not exactly as it was very short and had no scythe) standing over me in my bed, slowly reaching down a bony hand to touch my knee.

It was very solid, and the bony hand appeared to be comprised of grey modeling clay for (non-anatomically correct) muscles, sort of loose and sliding off the bone. I tried really hard to focus my eyes on it and sit up, but felt mildly paralyzed, and as I was doing that, it slowly faded away-- like it was originally quite solid looking, then I could see through it, then it wasn't there.

This is easily explained by a brain phenomenon called "sleep paralysis" (which I already knew existed) and the fact that I had been binge-watching Bones before going to bed. I wasn't freaked out at all as I am not superstitious in the slightest, knew it was basically a hallucination (in lay terms, anyway, technically hallucinations are different than this), and actually I was very disappointed it didn't last longer and wasn't scarier. Many people who experience sleep paralysis find it much more terrifying with devils torturing them and spinning rooms and roaring noises and whatnot (many people who claim demon possession may be experiencing sleep paralysis). In general the brain does a lot of very weird things when you are in the process of falling asleep or waking up. Of course, if I didn't know the scientific explanation and was more superstitious in nature, perhaps it would have been a lot scarier.

MakanJuu

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have plenty of stories. You be the judge.

I grew up in my grandmothers' house. Essentially, there is a decent sized wildlife preserve directly behind the property that stops roughly at a forked river. Both run up to the road, one being a small, 4 ft wide stream on one side of the house. The neighbor directly on the other side of the road has a yard that goes all the way up to the river. No one else lives on that side of the road all the way to the next intersection- about 4 or 5 city blocks away. The other side is a proper river of sorts & the only other property on our side of it were our relatives. And, since it's wetland, getting across that river or wandering around after dark are extremely dangerous. Originally, all 3 properties used to be 1, but the original owners sold a large lot to my grandparents, then they built their house & sold another part of it to the third group. After the original owners died, my grandmother got the whole property & sold the older portion to her eldest daughter.

So, first I'll go for the easily explained things. From as far back as I can remember up until I was about 6 or 7, I used to see a shadow of a hunched, old figure in a cloak with a lantern every single night. No matter where I slept, it would appear from behind a door, wander the full length of the room, set down it's lantern & go back where it came from. In fact, the only requirement for me seeing it was I had to be falling asleep. While I think it's a little weird that it was always the same thing without question, it could be explained by being in a waking dream states the same situation that causes hallucinations during sleep paralysis.

There were plenty of other things over the years, but they generally teetered off as I got older. However, things became pretty hectic for a few months when I was a teen. For a short while, I began seeing & hearing things I could call paranormal. I had a voice whisper my name in my ear while I was in the bathroom, had someone calling my name & giggling when I was in the woods & once saw a full body apparition of, what I assume, was one of the original owners of the property. She came around the bend in the hall, walked right up to my bedroom door & paused for a moment, then wandered back to wherever she came from. While I'm still not entirely sure, however, my OCD had reached such a disabling high level, I honestly should've been in a hospital & I believe I may have had some sort of psychotic break.

However, there are plenty of things I can't explain. Some of them even had objective witnesses. First, we had a wall of pictures opposite the window in the kitchen. At night it was pitch black & you could clearly see their reflections in that window. However, one- a bowl of fruit, of all things- did something odd. From roughly September to December, it's reflection showed a hunched, ragged old woman's face staring back. Any other time of the year, it was clearly nothing more than a bowl of fruit & she never moved or did anything, but I have literally no explanation. I even asked other people to look at it without telling them anything, & every single one saw the same thing & got freaked out.

Once, my little brothers were visiting. The one I'd been closer to back then was always a little hyperactive & that day, he'd gotten his hands on an old hand-powered drill & was attempting to use it to chop down tree saplings. Don't ask. Well, he'd almost gotten one when his father suddenly called him from the woods. Except his father was at work. At a factory. Roughly 30- some miles away. And he'd never once stepped foot in those woods in all the time I'd known him. Both of us heard it & immediately stopped what we were doing & returned to the house.

There was also a strange incident when I woke up in the middle of the night. I've dealt with sleep paralysis before. Never legitimately hallucinating, but pretty much everything else. This time was different though. I woke up with this sudden feeling of danger, but saw nothing was there, so I tried to get up, ran into something & fell back down on the bed. I tried a couple more times, realizing I somehow wasn't running into anything solid at all, but couldn't get up & each time I tried, whatever was keeping me down got lower & lower. I tried rolling left & right & I could but the same thing happened. Soon, I found myself locked tight on my back. Then I realized my hands were free, so I immediately threw them up & that's when I realized what was holding me down was almost like a repelling magnetic field that I couldn't overcome. I couldn't,t put my hands through it... But, immediately regretted what I'd done because my hands got stuck in midair. I tried calling for help, couldn't & began panicking. Then I remembered hearing somewhere that supposed darker spirits enjoyed & fed off of negative emotion, so I relaxed & started trying to think of a plan & it suddenly just left. Never happened again, either, strangely enough.

Finally, we also had a light fixture in the kitchen that stopped working when I was little. We tried new bulbs, rewiring, everything. Never got the damned thing to work & eventually gave up. Then, after my grandmother died, it started to spread to the other fixture. We also had this old digital readout device in the wall there that was supposed to determine how much electricity was running through out circuit breakers & could set a limit to prevent an overload. At some point, thoroughly believing there were ghosts in my house, I started to notice that that readout would go haywire & shoot up several watts when no one else was in the house & nothing else was going active & it freaked me out, so I asked it to stop. Ironically, it did, but every time I looked back at it, it was going again. I don't even really remember how or why I got to the point, but once I really wanted the other light on & asked if it could go on & when I hit the switch, the light that had not worked in over 10 years just turned on. No one else could duplicate it, thought at first. We soon began to catch on that if we asked politely, the light would work fine. If we forgot, it refused to turn on at all. I was not the only one in the house who started to do this.

There were others, but I think this is probably enough. What do you guys think?

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
There were others, but I think this is probably enough. What do you guys think?

Wow! I certainly think that there are things out there that we can't explain. But sadly we give it some heading to explain our madness and move on.

inoue77

Registered
Reaction score
I've had several friends tell me they've seen/experienced ghosts, but personally I never have. I'm a chicken at heart and I think I would do as earlier posts said and faint!

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm such a paranoid person, I probably just hallucinate due to my fear of the dark.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever seen Cray?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never seen a ghost, nor anything I could call supernatural.

And concerning anything supernatural -- UFOs, bigfoot (bigfeet?), angels/demons -- I keep an open mind, but it'll take some scientifically-valid, reproducible evidence to convince me it exists.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying creepy stories about such things, though. :ROFL:

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
On rt31 just north of I90, in Elgin,Il there is a small cemetary on the west side of the road. Back about 1995 I was driving north on 31 at roughly 3AM. My head lights crapped out, I thought my alternator died. When my head lights came back on there was a woman standing in the middle of the road. I locked up the brakes and almost lost it, the car went sideways and snapped a ball joint. I almost hit a tree. When I caught my breath and went looking for the woman I was sure I just hit, there was no one. To this day I get flack about the 'deer' in a dress. Nobody believed me then, nobody believes it now.

other than that, when my Grandmother was dying of ovarian cancer she chose home hospice care. We all took shifts staying with her. During my shifts she had hours long conversations with my Grandfather, who died in 1958, and shooed a dog my mother said died in 1964. My mother also mentioned how if that dog was with my Grandfather he had to be in hell, he hated that dog.

(My grandmother also read obits in the trib and suntimes and crossed names out of the phonebook)

Last edited:

thepicpic

May or may not be a potato.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever seen Cray?

I try to avoid it. I still don't trust the battery.

I've felt the presence of two recently passed pet cats, but never seen anything. My mum says she was visited by my grandmother after the latter died and electronics used to go weird occasionally at the old house, which we put down to visitations from the (regrettably passed on) grandparents. Oh, I once ran an EVP session for fun at the library I used to volunteer at. I didn't get anything, but while asking one of my questions a coat fell off a shelf. A coat that had to have been there for at least twelve hours. There was no draft or anything I could think of to account for it.