Notable geological and botanical features in NE Washington State/Upper Rockies

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have a character who was raised in an isolated community, at this point I'm going with the Colville area (north of Spokane). She was illiterate and uninformed about the outside world to the point that she didn't know there are other languages, only vaguely aware that there are other countries (namely that Canada and the U.S. are countries), and was completely unaware of the fact that the U.S. is comprised of different states. The nearby town that the men go to for supplies is simply "town" and not referred to by name (and she herself never left the "commune").

She ran away/was kidnapped in her mid-late teens and, after a series of hairy events complicated by her ignorance, eventually winds up on the east coast as a young adult, where she learns to read and becomes more familiar with geography/culture.

So when she decides she wants to return to take care of some unfinished business, she doesn't really know where "home" is. She knows she lived on a mountain, but not what the mountain is called. She knows there was a small town nearby, but not what it was called. She couldn't read when she left, so what she saw on the way out has no label on it either.

So she relies on her memories of the flora and fauna and landscape which are detailed enough to indicate the Northern Rockies as opposed to, say, the Cascades or the Olympics (the Olympics have black bears while the Rockies have that plus grizzlies) and could also specify a certain elevation, since some plants only grow at certain elevations (like mountain huckleberry). But that's still a broad area of possibility.

So, Question: Are there specific geological or botanical features that are unique enough to pin it down to the Colville area? (note: I am not completely sold on the Colville area; it could be somewhere else that is also known for cultish activity which is why I picked Colville-- such as, up near Kalispell in Montana, so if there are other areas that are more easily pinpointed, I can go for that too, but it should have a well-established history of weird scary people with guns living up in them thar hills for the last few decades.)

I have done some internet research but was unable to produce the kind of detail I want-- something really particular (I am native to the Olympics area so I know stuff like, this is the only place you'll find a particular species of elk during this time of the year, but I don't know these sorts of the details for the upper Rockies). If you have suggestions for better search terms or sites of interest, I would love that, too.

Thanks in advance.

*crosses fingers that someone here actually knows about this stuff*

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
Can't help you with the nitty gritty of the question (sorry!) - here's my outsider's perception of the areas you mention.

In summer 2012 I went NW USA road tripping and stayed a night in Colville. Let's just say it's definitely got that "isolated" feel ;) , although I didn't know there were/are crazy people with guns up in the mountains?!

Montana certainly had that big sky serious boonies thing going on. Kalispell seemed larger and more "open" (to visitors?) than Colville. I stayed at Whitefish, which was also fine in that respect.

If you're wanting a small, isolated town where people don't seem to travel far Colville could be it (remember that my knowledge is limited to one trip to the region). One couple who'd moved there a decade or so earlier told me they were still viewed as outsiders - they were from Seattle!

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Oh, yes, there are definitely pockets of crazy scattered all up in that area-- usually of the religious, live off the land, homeschooling, anti-government variety, sometimes even white supremacist sects, anarchists, etc. (Stumbling into a grange hall full of Nazi paraphernalia is entirely within the realm of possibility.) Aside from the I5 corridor, Washington state, Idaho and Montana are already conservative in general, with the extremists predominantly in the upper corners and panhandle. It is more densely populated with trees there which provides better cover than the immediate surrounding areas in Washington, or the rest of Idaho and Montana. (Not even kidding.)

Making my character as illiterate and uninformed and isolated as she is, is certainly an exaggeration, but not an entirely unfounded one-- girls receiving a sub-par education due to religious teachings about gender roles is very common in these sorts of communities, and even the boys will often not be prepared for higher education, but are taught a trade if they're lucky, or they're just stuck looking for under the table work to support their families (because they may not have the necessary documentation to work legally even though they're citizens because, anti-government teachings, mark of the Beast, etc.).

I personally come from a milder, more mainstream version of such a community and also have a friends who actually lived in my specified general area for a large portion of their childhood, complete with participating in the above lifestyle, but neither of us have the detailed sort geological or botanical or wildlife knowledge of the area that I need, just the cult knowledge. ;)

Anyway, I have been in Spokane a few times, parts of the Idaho panhandle, and driven through Kalispell on my way to Glacier Nat'l Park (gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous place), but I have not been north of Spokane where Colville is, so thanks for the outsider perspective on that. :)

Los Pollos Hermanos

Craving the next chocolate hit...
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard about some of those sort of "lifestyles" in passing/on TV - people in isolated cults or going off the grid to escape the government, etc. It would be much harder to do in the UK because our remote areas aren't really that remote when you think about what the WA-ID-MT area is like.

I passed through Spokane and found it quite unremarkable in a pleasant enough way. Coeur d'Alene was nice. Missoula was like a slightly prettier version of Spokane. Agreed about Glacier NP - absolutely stunning. Colville... out of anywhere I visited in that area, it did have that slight hint of the insular about it. I encountered similar in Ely, NV the year before. The problem is that as soon as I open my mouth it's pretty obvious I'm not local - haha! However, I've stayed in other small towns where everyone I've met has been really friendly and welcoming - Tonopah, NV and Kremmling, CO spring to mind. I wouldn't say Colville was unfriendly, but I felt some people I encounted held a certain degree of suspicion about why I was passing through. Ely was worse though! That moment when I was paying for some stuff in the supermarket, replied to the cashier and the whole place fell silent and just STARED at me. I went back to my hotel and didn't leave its confines until the next morning.

I hope you find someone who can answer your proper question. There's plenty of good people on here who know lots of random stuff about lots of random stuff.

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well. I randomly stumbled across woodland caribou today and they may be the answer to my problem, though I'd have to shift things further NE than Colville.

I had no idea there was and were caribou in the contiguous U.S., though. Fascinating.