PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

CheddarBug
11-06-2015, 07:59 PM
I know agents are busy so thank you for taking the time to consider my post. As I wrap up a novel I have a few questions regarding the query.

How do you prefer publishing credits to be listed? Right now I simply list the publishers that have bought my stories, but would it be more appropriate to list the story titles and publishing dates as well?

Do you care that one of my previous publishers is considering a series of novelettes by me?

Though the story is based on real events with a slight touch of fiction (and written as fiction) does it matter if I include this fact in the query?

If all my published stories are in one genre (say romance) and my newest piece is a completely different genre (like fantasy) do you still want to know my publishing history?

And lastly, if the story is strong, good, and captivating will it matter at all if it doesn't follow the usual format for a novel? (I'm thinking along the lines of novels like King's Carrie).

Thanks for any answers.

Thedrellum
11-06-2015, 09:56 PM
So, agents might not answer this. Sometimes they come through this subsection, but often as not it's fellow writers who have experience with agents who answer. You are welcome to wait around for the agent possibility, of course.

Or you could head over to Query Letter Hell where you can post your own query (now that you have fifty posts) and read a ton of other queries, those in the process of being revised as well as those that have successfully garnered an agent.

CheddarBug
11-06-2015, 11:24 PM
But I'm not so much as looking for help on writing the query, just on whether or not certain things should be included or perhaps written out a different way.

mayqueen
11-06-2015, 11:40 PM
I know agents are busy so thank you for taking the time to consider my post. As I wrap up a novel I have a few questions regarding the query As Thedrellum said, agents might not stop by here, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people who comment. As Thedrellum also said, QLH is an excellent resource. Check out the stickies there for examples of successful queries and general advice about writing a query.

How do you prefer publishing credits to be listed? Right now I simply list the publishers that have bought my stories, but would it be more appropriate to list the story titles and publishing dates as well? I'd list titles and publishers. Not sure the dates matter.

Do you care that one of my previous publishers is considering a series of novelettes by me? This is something to bring up if you receive an offer.

Though the story is based on real events with a slight touch of fiction (and written as fiction) does it matter if I include this fact in the query? You can mention it in the housekeeping section, but unless it's something like historical fiction I don't think it matters.

If all my published stories are in one genre (say romance) and my newest piece is a completely different genre (like fantasy) do you still want to know my publishing history? Couldn't hurt to still include it, to me. On one hand, it shows you can work with an editor and have sold your writing. On the other, since the genres are so different, you haven't established that you can sell fantasy.

And lastly, if the story is strong, good, and captivating will it matter at all if it doesn't follow the usual format for a novel? (I'm thinking along the lines of novels like King's Carrie). Anything can be published as long as it's well-executed.

Thanks for any answers.

CheddarBug
11-07-2015, 12:53 AM
Thank you, mayqueen, for your answers. :)