can this be a job?

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
In my next novel a group of around 20-something guys work at a firm that requires them to make presentations for clients. Say firm's name is ABC.

The work would be like:

--make power point presentation(ppt) for a school that wants presentation on grammar and so the school would ask ABC to make appropriate ppt for them
--make ppt on importance of higher education for a counselor of a college
--make ppt on dress etiquette and body language for counselor of a firm

Wouldn't the school rather have the professors make the ppt instead of outsourcing the work, since making ppt's isn't that difficult?

Can there be any job like this? As in do research, make ppt's, and sell them...

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I guess if the presentations were pretty advanced. Powerpoint isn't really something I imagine many people need to outsource for. But there are jobs where people are hired to help construct marketing ideas and presentations for folks, maybe something like that?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The work would be like:

--make power point presentation(ppt) for a school that wants presentation on grammar and so the school would ask ABC to make appropriate ppt for them
--make ppt on importance of higher education for a counselor of a college
--make ppt on dress etiquette and body language for counselor of a firm

Wouldn't the school rather have the professors make the ppt instead of outsourcing the work, since making ppt's isn't that difficult?

Can there be any job like this? As in do research, make ppt's, and sell them...
Making powerpoint presentations isn't that difficult if you know how to do it. Doing a good presentation in any medium requires skill beyond just knowing the material. Look at freelance writers - people pay them to write about a set subject, surely any literate adult could do that? Companies hire ad agencies to produce ads for their products, wouldn't the company know it's own product best?

I've sat through a number of lousy presentations, done by people who appear to know what they're talking about, but are unable to articulate it clearly, or, unable to get the best out of the Powerpoint program. If a company that doesn't use Powerpoint regularly wants a professional-looking presentation, it's doubtless worth their while to hire someone to do a really good job on the technical side.
As for
Can there be any job like this? As in do research, make ppt's, and sell them
, that's what ad agencies do, documentary-makers do, and infomercial and public-service announcement people do. You make it sound as though ABC makes up the presentations on their own, then sells them, while I believe it's more of a 'work-for-hire' thing: the client commissions a presentation, ABC makes it and is paid by the client.

Milenio

Registered
Reaction score
I present workshops on soft skills, and one subject is PP and proper presenting techniques. People generally know the basics of PP, but there are little tips and tricks they either don't get taught, or they forget them as soon as they're in a working environment again. Presentation skills are another subject people never get taught (as frimble3 said). In addition to the workshops, I would on occasion design PPs for companies, but that is not my full-time job. I haven't marketed myself as PP designer, so I'm not sure if that would be a viable full-time occupation. Maybe combine it with another branch of the company your characters work for? Such as an HR or training company, maybe?

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
I guess it would be a small company(the company that makes ppts and sells them), will less pay. The qualification for job wouldn't be high. More training would be needed rather than a degree. And the people working would also be like, 'make quick pay for some time, like a summer job, then leave,' not people who want to make a career out of it. or people who have much loyalty or pride towards the company they work.

lacygnette

Sucked in by AW again
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.terrilewis1.com
I once worked at a job cleaning up powerpoints for various conferences. I didn't exactly do the research but I had to know enough to suggest changes to the speaker. It was fun, sorta creative work but long long hours.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, firms that make ppt's for sale tend to do it either as a sideline to another line of business (e.g. specialty consulting or training) that gives them marketable expertise of some sort, or with a focus on value-added media that involves specialized skills/tools your average office staff don't have in-house.

I guess it would be a small company(the company that makes ppts and sells them), will less pay. The qualification for job wouldn't be high. More training would be needed rather than a degree. And the people working would also be like, 'make quick pay for some time, like a summer job, then leave,' not people who want to make a career out of it. or people who have much loyalty or pride towards the company they work.

There are almost certainly bottom-feeding outfits like that in the business, but if ppt is their main focus they won't last long -- commodity ppt by people who don't bring real knowledge or higher-end skills to the game is not a money-maker anymore when any old person in an office can take their pick of a zillion free templates online. The companies that can sell a powerpoint service profitably almost certainly do more complicated things too, and the people they have putting the ppts together are almost certainly capable of doing other things and getting paid for it properly. Or else they hire a freelancer to put in a few hours on a specific project as needed. (I've been known to do that for my former employer when they need a slide deck and I have a little time available.)

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can buy a PowerPoint presentation for under $50 on almost any topic, under $5 for many. This was a viable business in 1989, not so much now. Make it video production or 3D modeling and you're in.

Jeff

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm thanks. I'll make it a side business. Like the mc is hired to make ppt's while his colleagues do other work in the same company.