Predators and birds in coastal New England

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
I've got a scene where a man finds the remains of a dead turkey vulture along a wooded path.
The area is coastal New England, small town.
I'm going with the turkey vulture because I need a large bird that would be found in wooded areas, and whose feathers are rather distinctive. I could go a heron or egret, but I don't know if they're often found away from water (about half a mile inland).

As for predators, I can't imagine a fox is large enough to take on a turkey vulture. Are coyotes or bobcats (wildcats) found often enough in these areas for that to work? (I know they both exist in that region)

The man sees the bird and makes some assumptions about what kind of predator might have gotten the bird. It's okay for it to be unusual. It's okay for it to seem odd. So long as it is believable.

I'm looking for is the opinion of someone who lives/lived there.
What predators could take out a turkey vulture?

Thanks!

ETA:
I just need a predator that could have attacked/killed a turkey vulture. I need that part to be believable. Whether it's a coyote, a wildcat, a fisher, or a family dog doesn't matter.
The reality is, it wasn't actually killed by an animal... that part is an assumption the character makes based on the few signs that he first sees when he finds the dead bird, and his knowledge of what's in the area.

I'm willing to consider a different bird - but it has to be one that does not have many natural predators. It has to be a large bird, and it has to be surprising to find a dead one. It has to be easily, and immediately identifiable based on nothing more than some bones, feathers, and a bit of wing.

Last edited:

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
*waves*

I'm in Boothbay, Maine and we have what are called Fishers that take out just about everything, including turkeys. They're horrible. The foxes in our area will go for the smaller turkeys, too, but it depends on how hungry they are.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Well it's not common to find a dead turkey vulture for several reasons:

1- it's a rather large bird. Unless it's been injured or ill, it's a fight that many predators aren't going to risk. A good slap from the wings of a bird that size will stagger a grown man.

2- turkey vultures have a unique defense system. First they will vomit on you. If this gets in your eyes it will sting as it's full of digestive juices. Second, high rate of infection of any injuries- vultures are not clean animals. Not to mention the bird will scat on you also.

3- Vultures spend most of their time in the air. They are specially equipped for gliding and spend the minimum amount of energy possible. In fact, the birds have black feathers to help catch solar heat and to cool themselves, you don't want to know. Although the birds do land for sleeping and for eating, a smart predator would simply scare away the vultures for an easy meal.

4- Also vultures are large animals who need room to take off and land. If this is a heavily wooded area, they aren't going to risk it. They just aren't equipped for taking off in an enclosed area without difficulty.

Although I don't live in that area, I do know these animals pretty well (farm kid who spent a LOT of time in the woods observing nature and filled her need for knowledge with self study.)

I think a much better bird for you story would be a wild turkey. They are ambushed by foxes, coyotes, dogs and other predators. I don't think you'd be able to tell what got the animal unless there were tracks and in a wooded area with leaves on the ground you probably wouldn't notice signs unless you were very skilled in woodsmanship.

Last edited:

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Well it's not common to find a dead turkey vulture for several reasons:

1- it's a rather large bird. Unless it's been injured or ill, it's a fight that many predators aren't going to risk. A good slap from the wings of a bird that size will stagger a grown man.

2- turkey vultures have a unique defense system. First they will vomit on you. If this gets in your eyes it will sting as it's full of digestive juices. Second, high rate of infection of any injuries- vultures are not clean animals. Not to mention the bird will scat on you also.

3- Vultures spend most of their time in the air. They are specially equipped for gliding and spend the minimum amount of energy possible. In fact, the birds have black feathers to help catch solar heat and to cool themselves, you don't want to know. Although the birds do land for sleeping and for eating, a smart predator would simply scare away the vultures for an easy meal.

4- Also vultures are large animals who need room to take off and land. If this is a heavily wooded area, they aren't going to risk it. They just aren't equipped for taking off in an enclosed area without difficulty.

Although I don't live in that area, I do know these animals pretty well (farm kid who spent a LOT of time in the woods observing nature and filled her need for knowledge with self study.)

I think a much better bird for you story would be a wild turkey. They are ambushed by foxes, coyotes, dogs and other predators. I don't think you'd be able to tell what got the animal unless there were tracks and in a wooded area with leaves on the ground you probably wouldn't notice signs unless you were very skilled in woodsmanship.

Thanks. I'm familiar with turkey vultures - and I need that rarity actually. I need a bird that isn't frequently attacked by predators. A wild turkey just wouldn't work (and I've hunted those birds - they're awful!)
When I first moved to Maryland, we lived in a wooded area, and while the vultures were not in the trees, they were frequently found in clearings, along paths, and roadsides. Anywhere there was likely to be dead things, basically. I had the uh... misfortune to witness a neighbor's dog take on a turkey vulture. It was not pretty. The birds basically spew everything from both ends. Disgusting.
This takes place in a large clearing, along a path - so I'm comfortable with finding a turkey vulture there.
In a grassy clearing, signs of a hunt would be more obvious than in a heavily wooded area. And since my character is skilled in that department, I'm less worried about that part.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
*waves*

I'm in Boothbay, Maine and we have what are called Fishers that take out just about everything, including turkeys. They're horrible. The foxes in our area will go for the smaller turkeys, too, but it depends on how hungry they are.

It's a giant, viscous ferret. I never imagined they'd get big enough to take on a large bird.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Wild predators are generally smart enough not to bother with turkey vultures, or any vultures, but dogs don't have the experience to keep them away from turkey vultures, and a good bite in the right place could end a turkey vulture. Fishers are big enough, but they aren't stupid.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Wild predators are generally smart enough not to bother with turkey vultures, or any vultures, but dogs don't have the experience to keep them away from turkey vultures, and a good bite in the right place could end a turkey vulture. Fishers are big enough, but they aren't stupid.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.
There's a reason some things don't have many natural predators.
Thank you

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it were already sick, injured, or succumbing to old age (yes, sometimes birds die from simply having reached the end of their life-span—it’s pretty much a drop-dead nonevent.), then a raccoon could easily lay waste to a grounded turkey vulture. Raccoons will come out during the day if they’re hungry/thirsty enough. Also, when a raccoon makes an avian kill, the afterward scene-of-the-crime is quite gruesome. You would think a sadistic serial killer was responsible.

SophieB

Novels with a side of science.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sophiebolsen.com
Egrets and green herons will venture upriver a "ways", but blue herons are everywhere- they fish in fresh water and I've seen them a hundred miles inland all over NE.
Fishers are nasty, sly, and mostly nocturnal. We have a plethora of bobcats in Maine and Rhode Island- they're quiet and nocturnal, but if they found a perch, they'd go after whatever was in it.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Turkey vultures are large, but they're scavengers, not carrion-eating eagles. They're not designed for fighting or killing prey, and From what I've read, their beaks and talons are weak. I suspect a reasonably-sized predator that caught one on the ground could make quick work of it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a turkey vulture in New England, it's summer. They're seasonal at best there. The largest cause of turkey vulture deaths is being hit by cars. Since they prey on road kill, they sometimes become it.

But they are easy prey for most of the Lynx/Bobcat family, though activity times can interfere with this happening. Wolves, wild dogs and coyotes can also prey on them, and are more likely to. Bears, rarely, might be able to nab one. Fishers are less likely to prey on a turkey vulture, but certainly capable of it. Even a feral cat might give it a go.

Since you don't need a specific suspect, simply write it as a werewolf attack. :)

Okay, wolf or dog is more believable.

Jeff

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought about using an Osprey? Good-sized coastal bird, and since it's a predator itself, it might make a more interesting "victim" than a turkey vulture.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
If it's a turkey vulture in New England, it's summer. They're seasonal at best there. The largest cause of turkey vulture deaths is being hit by cars. Since they prey on road kill, they sometimes become it.

Jeff

Interesting... in Maryland we get them year 'round. I never realized they were seasonal further north. Hmmm... it is late summer, so it would probably work.

RKarina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rochellekarina.com
Have you thought about using an Osprey? Good-sized coastal bird, and since it's a predator itself, it might make a more interesting "victim" than a turkey vulture.

I avoided the osprey for a few reasons - I've never seen one far enough inland to work with the location. Though I know they can be very large, the osprey I've seen around the Chesapeake Bay area here are noticeably smaller than either a turkey vulture or heron. Could be just my experience - true. And I wanted something with instantly identifiable feathers (without being an avid bird watcher).

All of which led me to the turkey vulture... a very large bird, with distinctive coloration, and few natural predators (as well as a nasty habit of being incredibly disgusting to those few things brave or stupid enough to attempt attacking it).