PDA

View Full Version : Hearing voices

kelliewallace
11-05-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm gathering some notes/ideas for a new wip and I want my mc to hear voices in his head. Haven't decided whether they will be conversational.

From a format point of view, how would I do that? Would the text be in italics or speech? When I've written/read thoughts in novels it's usually pretty standard italics.

Ravioli
11-05-2015, 04:17 PM
I'd personally go for italics if it's not too many lines. Or perhaps name the voices and write them as dialogue? "Kill the cashier," Olaf whispered, "She's judging your choice of condom size."

Jamesaritchie
11-05-2015, 11:51 PM
I read a novel a few months ago where the protagonist heard voices telling him to go here or go there. The voice was always short, and in italics.

That's how I'd do it, too. It made sure the vice in his head was confused with the character's dialogue, or with someone else, speaking.

kelliewallace
11-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys

BarII
11-06-2015, 12:54 AM
If you ever have to distinguish between uncontrolled voices in his head and his own thoughts you may have a problem. You may need narration to explain what's what.

nighttimer
11-06-2015, 06:45 PM
I would say the voices in your mc's head should either speak in italics or a different font.

But not comic sans. Unless they're funny voices... :ROFL:

Zombie Fraggle
11-07-2015, 02:27 AM
I would say the voices in your mc's head should either speak in italics or a different font.

Using a different font might work for a print book. It won't work for an ebook, however, where the user of the device can change the font/fonts in the book to one of their own preference. That's why chapter headings having fancy fonts are inserted into ebooks as JPGs.