• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

So I have this dumb story about a girl who accidentally kills someone with an aquarium [ok for now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
EDIT: I've received enough offers to beta this for now. Thank you so much, to everyone who responded :D

...and I don't really know what to do with it.

Lately I have been thinking the answer is "nothing," because, while I think the concept was good, I'm not sure the execution is good enough to warrant anything else. But I don't know how to judge these things, so...hi...*awkward wave*

Who I'm looking for:
Someone I've seen around the forums, whether or not we've interacted much...:) I mean, if you're here some, or a little, I've probably seen you, you've probably seen me, and that way both of us have some idea what to expect. Nothing personal if you're new, I just prefer a bit of familiarity.

If you read YA that's a bonus but it's not strictly necessary.

What it is and what I'm looking for: One of the reasons I'm confused about it is it's kind of a weird story and a weird arena for me--it's YA and has no speculative elements, which I have never written before and don't foresee writing again, just because I almost never have non-speculative YA story ideas (I mean, never say never, and I've got no opposition to it, but...hasn't happened before or since). Also I haven't read much YA so I don't uh...I dunno. It just came out.

It's about a girl and there are weird barely-plausible things occurring in it. Nothing is magical or science fiction, but it's slightly surreal, I've been told, although I didn't do that on purpose.

I had queried it a little, but only to agents who rep both YA contemporary and adult speculative fiction, and I ran out of those. So now it's sitting on my computer and I have been wondering whether I should a) leave it there and forget about its existence or b) see if it's good enough to self-publish, or at least close enough to good that I feel I can fix it.

So that's why I'm here...

It has had beta readers before (before the querying). I tried to fix what issues were brought up, but don't know if I was successful. Namely, the MC might still be super annoying. Or there might be entirely different issues that weren't brought up. Who knows :D

It's 63,000 words. I think. Somewhere around there. I don't think it needs sentence-level editing, though you are welcome to do it if you want to. I am mainly looking for big-picture reactions--if the story is stupid, unbelievable in a bad way (if that makes any sense), or boring; if the MC puts you off, and so on.

Reciprocating: I will do it if you want. And I will try with whatever, though I'm not sure I'm very useful in some categories and genres. I mostly like books that might be called "quirky" although I don't like the word itself. :p Mostly low fantasy and soft SF and occasionally mystery thrillery sort of "general literature" by the bookstore's designation. Other genres are sort of hit or miss; there's so much variation from book to book it's hard to generalize. I will say there's a lot of stuff I don't read of my own volition (romance, erotica, Christian, children's, high fantasy, women's fiction, literary fiction, things with vampires) but I will also say I have been surprised sometimes when I venture out of my comfort zone, so. I do think a good story can be anywhere. I just won't be familiar with genre convention thingydings and may be out of my depth some places more than others. :) (And it's worth mentioning I'm an areligious aromantic asexual so that may affect, uh, my reading of romance or sex or religious works. Lol.)

If you want to do a swap, but you're unsure whether I'm a moron or not (and no offense taken if you do end up coming to that conclusion), we can swap a first chapter and feel each other out before committing. If you like. :)

Also about committing:
If you start reading and then decide you hate it or don't feel you can critique it or Life Happens and you don't have time, just let me know; it's not a big deal to me at all and I won't take it personally. :)

I also don't have a time frame I need it done by, since it's just sitting there being useless at present.

And um...I think that's it? Is this post long enough :p bleh.

Anywayyy um. Yuppers. *burbles back to the swampdesert and hides*

Last edited:

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
As someone who beta'ed this -- it's really good. REALLY GOOD. Like, YOU WILL BE ENTERTAINED.

I mean, there are dead squirrels in it. Who doesn't like dead squirrels! And taxidermy. And drug-dealing grandmas.

Omg and the MURDER TOAST I laughed for like a full minute at that in fact I'm whiting it out for anybody who does read it because SPOILERS.

I was ecstatic when buz said she was posting this for beta again because I don't want her to trunk it because it is just WAY TOO GOOD to trunk.

:Thumbs:

Lately I have been thinking the answer is "nothing," because, while I think the concept was good, I'm not sure the execution is good enough to warrant anything else. But I don't know how to judge these things, so...hi...*awkward wave*

Who I'm looking for:
Someone I've seen around the forums, whether or not we've interacted much...:) I mean, if you're here some, or a little, I've probably seen you, you've probably seen me, and that way both of us have some idea what to expect. Nothing personal if you're new, I just prefer a bit of familiarity.

If you read YA that's a bonus but it's not strictly necessary.

What it is and what I'm looking for: One of the reasons I'm confused about it is it's kind of a weird story and a weird arena for me--it's YA and has no speculative elements, which I have never written before and don't foresee writing again, just because I almost never have non-speculative YA story ideas (I mean, never say never, and I've got no opposition to it, but...hasn't happened before or since). Also I haven't read much YA so I don't uh...I dunno. It just came out.

It's about a girl and there are weird barely-plausible things occurring in it. Nothing is magical or science fiction, but it's slightly surreal, I've been told, although I didn't do that on purpose.

I had queried it a little, but only to agents who rep both YA contemporary and adult speculative fiction, and I ran out of those. So now it's sitting on my computer and I have been wondering whether I should a) leave it there and forget about its existence or b) see if it's good enough to self-publish, or at least close enough to good that I feel I can fix it.

So that's why I'm here...

It has had beta readers before (before the querying). I tried to fix what issues were brought up, but don't know if I was successful. Namely, the MC might still be super annoying. Or there might be entirely different issues that weren't brought up. Who knows :D

It's 63,000 words. I think. Somewhere around there. I don't think it needs sentence-level editing, though you are welcome to do it if you want to. I am mainly looking for big-picture reactions--if the story is stupid, unbelievable in a bad way (if that makes any sense), or boring; if the MC puts you off, and so on.

Reciprocating: I will do it if you want. And I will try with whatever, though I'm not sure I'm very useful in some categories and genres. I mostly like books that might be called "quirky" although I don't like the word itself. :p Mostly low fantasy and soft SF and occasionally mystery thrillery sort of "general literature" by the bookstore's designation. Other genres are sort of hit or miss; there's so much variation from book to book it's hard to generalize. I will say there's a lot of stuff I don't read of my own volition (romance, erotica, Christian, children's, high fantasy, women's fiction, literary fiction, things with vampires) but I will also say I have been surprised sometimes when I venture out of my comfort zone, so. I do think a good story can be anywhere. I just won't be familiar with genre convention thingydings and may be out of my depth some places more than others. :) (And it's worth mentioning I'm an areligious aromantic asexual so that may affect, uh, my reading of romance or sex or religious works. Lol.)

If you want to do a swap, but you're unsure whether I'm a moron or not (and no offense taken if you do end up coming to that conclusion), we can swap a first chapter and feel each other out before committing. If you like. :)

Also about committing:
If you start reading and then decide you hate it or don't feel you can critique it or Life Happens and you don't have time, just let me know; it's not a big deal to me at all and I won't take it personally. :)

I also don't have a time frame I need it done by, since it's just sitting there being useless at present.

And um...I think that's it? Is this post long enough :p bleh.

Anywayyy um. Yuppers. *burbles back to the swampdesert and hides*

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
shut up lisa you're embarrassing me JEEZ

(I love you)

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll read it if you want. I enjoy funny quirky and it's not a long story so yeah, I'd do it. I don't know about swapping, because atm, I'm working on my high fantasy and don't think it's on your list. But I do have some quirky short stories I've been meaning to finish for a year now and haven't because beginnings are way more fun than endings, so I might ask for help on that in future.

Plus you seem kind of interesting and fun, so why not. Send me the first three chapters and we'll see how it goes.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

THESE ARE ALL LIES. THE BOOK IS THE BEST THING EVER SINCE PENIS CHANDELIERS.

Uh. I mean, I'm just seconding slhuang.

*lowers self back into the bog*

*is silently watching*

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I can read it if you want. I was reserving space for someone who doesn't need it now, so I've got room for beta read. Besides, I feel like I really missed out on the whole were-mammoth thing. I don't have anything to trade now, though.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, me! Pick me!

I need something productive to do while my own bizarre, unreadable prose sits and ferments or festers or whatever it is manuscripts do when they're left to their own devises for too long.

I'm afraid I'm not very fast... I prefer to read through start to finish then go back and make notes (unless I see something totally egregious, in which case I'd let you know immediately!)

Not ready for swapping just yet, but it's never a bad thing to know that somebody owes you! :evil

If I can be of help, let me know!

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll read it if you want. I enjoy funny quirky and it's not a long story so yeah, I'd do it. I don't know about swapping, because atm, I'm working on my high fantasy and don't think it's on your list. But I do have some quirky short stories I've been meaning to finish for a year now and haven't because beginnings are way more fun than endings, so I might ask for help on that in future.

Plus you seem kind of interesting and fun, so why not. Send me the first three chapters and we'll see how it goes.

Thanks so much, phantasy :) I'll shoot you a PM in a moment... :D

THESE ARE ALL LIES. THE BOOK IS THE BEST THING EVER SINCE PENIS CHANDELIERS.

YOU SHUT YOUR LYING LIEMOUTH YOU LIESMUDGE

You guys seriously this book is nowhere near as good as penis chandeliers. Don't get your hopes up. :)

I can read it if you want. I was reserving space for someone who doesn't need it now, so I've got room for beta read. Besides, I feel like I really missed out on the whole were-mammoth thing. I don't have anything to trade now, though.

Ooo, okay, yaaayyy :D You can always call in a favor later if you need one. PM coming momentarily. :)

The weremammoth thing is also sitting around uselessly but I figure I should tackle one useless thing at a time... :p

Oooh, me! Pick me!

I need something productive to do while my own bizarre, unreadable prose sits and ferments or festers or whatever it is manuscripts do when they're left to their own devises for too long.

I'm afraid I'm not very fast... I prefer to read through start to finish then go back and make notes (unless I see something totally egregious, in which case I'd let you know immediately!)

Not ready for swapping just yet, but it's never a bad thing to know that somebody owes you! :evil

If I can be of help, let me know!

Hahahaha <3 Sure thing. PMs for everyone :D

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was all excited ballz about this ...

We can swap ... and feel each other out before committing. If you like. :)

Yes I like. Who doesn't like to feel up whatevers?

But then you said this ...

I'm an areligious aromantic asexual ...

Oh you cruel tease. Why do you slap my tender heart around as if it wouldn't bleed?

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh you cruel tease. Why do you slap my tender heart around as if it wouldn't bleed?

Oh. I left out that I'm also a heartless assforest.

:evil

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
*sticks up tentacles Hermione-style* Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

*immobilizes other potential betas with gin-breath and elbows them aside during stampede to PM you* *eviscerates cows and leaves them strewn about as warning to other potential betas to shove off* *glares at other potential betas with steely alien glare*

*glares*

*still glaring*

:aliensmile:

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sticks up tentacles Hermione-style* Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

*immobilizes other potential betas with gin-breath and elbows them aside during stampede to PM you* *eviscerates cows and leaves them strewn about as warning to other potential betas to shove off* *glares at other potential betas with steely alien glare*

*glares*

*still glaring*

:aliensmile:

*shivers in pleasure *

How can I resist an overture like that...?

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Pasty, I am impervious to gin-breath. And I like beef.

Anyway, I don't offer to beta much because I always worry about the time commitment. So as long as that's not like some super pressing thing because I cannot promise I can do a beta in any way quickly.

But I know I'll be entertained by this one, even before the various, uh, endorsements so I'm definitely interested. When I've done this before I tend to be thorough, to the point of like structural banging around, holistic rumination, you know, the usual. So if that's what you're looking for. My crits in SYW are available for testing purposes. I usually read somewhere in the borderlands between YA and adult, usually fantasy but I've betaed pure YA and contemporary non-fantasy before, though I prefer when my contemporary stuff is a bit weird so that's good.

Anyway, I'm still blithering like I was yesterday except I don't have a fever to blame it on today. PM me if you're still looking for people.

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pasty, I am impervious to gin-breath. And I like beef.

Dear god...he's immortal...

Anyway, I don't offer to beta much because I always worry about the time commitment. So as long as that's not like some super pressing thing because I cannot promise I can do a beta in any way quickly.

Nope. It's been sitting there being ignored for a long time now; I'm happy to go on ignoring it for a while. :)

But I know I'll be entertained by this one, even before the various, uh, endorsements so I'm definitely interested.

Well, er, don't get your hopes too high, lol... *worries about disappointing all the people*

When I've done this before I tend to be thorough, to the point of like structural banging around, holistic rumination, you know, the usual. So if that's what you're looking for. My crits in SYW are available for testing purposes. I usually read somewhere in the borderlands between YA and adult, usually fantasy but I've betaed pure YA and contemporary non-fantasy before, though I prefer when my contemporary stuff is a bit weird so that's good.

Anyway, I'm still blithering like I was yesterday except I don't have a fever to blame it on today. PM me if you're still looking for people.

Yes, I've seen your crits, thorough indeed. I will PM you momentarily...thank you so much for the offer, Beardface :D You're too kind.

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
Well, if I'm allowed to be somewhat nocommital about it .... I usually enjoy reading your stuff, and from the sounds of it, I might well enjoy this. Kinda busy right now, so I might not get round to it in a while, but if you still feel you could use some opinions at that point... Won't have anyting to exchange in the forseeable future, but should the moment ever come, you'd definitely be someone whose opinion I'd value.

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if I'm allowed to be somewhat nocommital about it .... I usually enjoy reading your stuff, and from the sounds of it, I might well enjoy this. Kinda busy right now, so I might not get round to it in a while, but if you still feel you could use some opinions at that point... Won't have anyting to exchange in the forseeable future, but should the moment ever come, you'd definitely be someone whose opinion I'd value.

Hi sohalt! I'm very flattered :D I've got enough for this go-round on this thing, but there may be other go-rounds, and I can definitely come crawling back then; I would love your opinion ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.