PDA

View Full Version : Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' is being turned into a TV series

MikaelS
11-04-2015, 07:38 AM
http://mashable.com/2015/11/03/his-dark-materials-bbc-adaptation/?utm_cid=a-vt-rr#I5J5OfjdsOqG

I didn't dislike The Golden Compass movie (though I was much younger when I watched it), but it failed critically and commercially. Do you think a TV series could do better?

Wanderluster
11-04-2015, 10:23 AM
I loved the movie adaptation. I have no idea why it did so badly - other than Christians boycotting it. The writing, casting, special effects, and production quality were all excellent.

But that doesn't make me any less excited for a BBC TV series based on the books! Not sure if they'll be able to match the production value of the movie, but they'll have more room to explore Pullman's rich world. And BBC adaptations of British literature are usually excellent! (Although I see now that BBC isn't producing it, just airing it. Ah well, I'm still going to hope for the best.) Thanks for the heads up!

Bolero
11-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Just rewatched the movie and really enjoyed it. Shame there was no sequel. Hope the series does well and covers the full story.

Filigree
11-04-2015, 05:25 PM
I hope the series does well and doesn't pull any punches.

Helix
11-04-2015, 05:35 PM
The people behind Bad Wolf (the production company for the series) are BBC execs, so they should know what they're doing. Mind you, the adaptations of some of Pullman's other works (Ruby in the Smoke, and Shadow in the North) were fun, but not brilliant.

Teinz
11-04-2015, 06:38 PM
I really loved the books and I sure hope the writers and producers don't fuck up.

Amadan
11-04-2015, 06:44 PM
I liked the movie, and I am still skeptical that the Catholic League boycott really did much. I think it suffered from marketing, having an unknown girl and a fading Nicole Kidman in a movie being billed as "The next Harry Potter." It also was not self-contained - too much story was left up in the air, obviously to be resolved in the sequels that never came.

Hopefully the TV series will be done well.

Introversion
11-04-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm in the minority here, I guess, in thinking the movie was mediocre and disappointing. I remember thinking it lacked much spark, and left me not caring when they never made another.

Quite liked the books, though, and would like to see them done well as a miniseries. (I'm presuming the use of "series" in the article really means, "the books, done as television" and not some open-ended production that the word "series" means on this side of the pond?)

mirandashell
11-04-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm hoping that they do a much more layered job than the film. And that they leave the religion in as the story doesn't make much sense without it.

Over here, we say 'series' instead of 'season'.

Introversion
11-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Over here, we say 'series' instead of 'season'.

Does it mean, "Will be exactly N episodes and no more?" ("Mini-series", on this side I guess.)

Just trying to figure out whether the "Dark Materials series" will be putting the books to screen, or if it's "the Dark Materials universe, open-ended, for as many episodes as we can sell"?

NMEvans
11-05-2015, 02:14 AM
I am so excited about this!! Hoping they air it in the US!

mirandashell
11-05-2015, 02:24 AM
Does it mean, "Will be exactly N episodes and no more?"

This, usually. And then if it's popular, they make some more. As a pure guess, they will do the first book and see how it goes.

laazy
11-05-2015, 04:35 AM
The movie was ok but didn't live up to the potential of the books. Felt a bit rushed. Love the idea of a tv series though. :)

Bolero
11-05-2015, 03:59 PM
I'd agree with that a lot that was in the book didn't make it into the movie - but that is the nature of movies on the whole. Look forward to the series. I thought some of the actors in particular fitted their roles very well and would like to see them back - in particular the head of the gypsies (forgot his name played by the actor who plays Mr Carson in Downton) and Lee Scorsby - those roles would be good to see them back in them.

VeryBigBeard
11-05-2015, 11:12 PM
I liked the movie. I'm in an odd spot in my family in that my brother won't see it--he cherishes the books and doesn't want to ruin his image of them with the movie. Fair enough, I'm the same way with Hitchhiker's.

I'm not a big Reddit person, but I came across this breakdown of the movie's flaws one day (https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueFilm/comments/1hke06/an_odd_one_for_you_the_golden_compass_looking/), I think possibly linked from TV Tropes or something. I have no idea how accurate it is, but it would tend to back up Amadan's notion that it had less to do with the religious stuff and much more to do with story structure and a horrendous international rights deal.

I'm glad they're remaking it. I read the books after seeing the movie and liked the latter two more. The first one gets all the attention but the characterization really pays off in the later books and Pullman starts putting some more mind-bending stuff in. So here's hoping the series makes it that far.

jwdoom
11-10-2015, 08:13 PM
My first thought was "Dangerous, that movie was cast perfectly." I thought Dakota Blue Richards was marvelous as Lyra (that scowl OMG!) and Kidman was great as well.