PDA

View Full Version : Need help categorizing my book

jmichaelfavreau
11-04-2015, 04:47 AM
So I've been absent from these forums for a while...because I'll been slapping my fingers into my keyboard writing my next novel. So now, that I'm most-of-the-way there, I've started thinking about my sales pitch. I thought initially YA or possibly NA, but my book could very easily be just regular adult SF as well. Here are the main points:
-18 y/o main character who's recruited to a space policing agency (think Guardians of the Galaxy/Harry Potter for book one) after reining death and destruction on humanity
-Opening scene of the book is a very violent, very graphic school shooting
-Multiple scenes throughout book that are violent and gory (yet also light-hearted somehow!)
-Sex scene involving main character

My comfort zone is adult SF as my first two books were this, but I want to diversify. Because of the MC's age, I thought NA but I think it could go just normal science fiction. I'd like to appeal to the YA/NA crowd, but I think my content might take me out of this range. Any thoughts or direction would be helpful, I'm wandering in the dark here.

TRezvani
12-08-2015, 01:41 AM
I would call it New Adult Sci-Fi.

Latina Bunny
12-08-2015, 06:34 AM
Er....sounds like typical adult scifi to me, lol. :P

Um, I heard, at least, in the past, that NA tends to be heavily focused on sex and/or romance. I usually hear NA in terms of contemporary or contemporary romances.

NA seems to also be focus on college-age characters who are going the transition stages to becoming adults...or something like that?

I rarely heard about NA SF/F stuff. I mean... What's the diff between that, and adult SF/F?

BTW, have you read any NA SF/F stuff?

zmunkz
12-09-2015, 12:15 AM
I would call it adult sci-fi, and let the agent or whoever decide if they want to re-categorize once it is accepted. Or are you self publishing?