Not open for further replies.

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Your user control panel should have a section marked "Latest Reputation Received." That will show you points received and a bit of info about them.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If you look at your User CP, for each rep point/comment you recieve, in the first column, select the blank "image" by dragging your mouse around it. You would see a "box" selected. Now show properties and you would see that the file is either reputation_pos.gif or reputation_neg.gif.

We used to have what we called "blobs" which is a gif file of either a green or red square. We took away the actually image, but we still kept the file names. That's one way of telling if the comment is a positive or negative rep point. I don't know any other way, so if someone has an idea, let me know.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
smilehooray.gif
thanks!!

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
Great! Now that I finally understand exactly what Rep points are - what do I do with them? Do I cash them in like Pogo chips or swap them for something, maybe even hoard them until I have enough to afford a virtual ranch or virtual house? I have almost forty of these "widgets" and already I find myself checking in to see whether I have collected more. Somehow this bothers me because I write from the heart and not to garner points. I gather the Reps are a means of somehow "building up a collection of trust" - but why?

If I inadvertently get "minus points" then I am obviously offending too many in the forums - and this also bothers me a little. When I stumbled into Absolute Write I was surprised to find so many helpful people gathered here, but no one can be respected all the time regardless of how hard they try - it just isn't natural.

I am a hard man, this I state willingly - I grew up in a hard environment where and when a life didn't count for much against that of another. A time and place where you were either known as someone to leave alone or you were considered bait for another. Your word had to be good enough to stake your life upon and a handshake was all it took to buy thousands of dollars of merchandise, cattle, whatever - but when the delivery arrived the money had to be handed across immediately - or else. A time when people fought each other with fists or knives, and did so one-on-one - one walked away and one remained to be carried away - those were the only rules. Times have changed now - a person's word means nothing to most and a handshake is only a touching of soft hands. "Reputations" have totally new meanings in today's society, but is it a lasting thing. I have learned that a lifetime of building a "good reputation" can be destroyed by a single wrong or mistake and have observed it happen over and over.

Over the years, in various levels of law enforcement, as a bail bondsman, and in my private life, my "reputation" has been enough to cause those I had to go after reason not to give me any problems when I apprehended them. My reputation in my private life is as a man who adores his spouse and family above all else - and my wife also holds the same reputation as a businesswoman and mother. I realize I may come across as a complete idiot here with the way I am phrasing this, but I am puzzled by the Rep point thing. I am aware from reading the threads what the concept is, but not the far reaching goal. In the short time I have been allowed to participate in AW I have noticed ruffled feelings being taken to extremes because of a possible misunderstanding in meaning or context - and someone always suffers.

I admire the rule of "Respect other writers" as first and foremost, but I have noticed it can be used to restrict the exchange of free ideas/thoughts even though the individual posting may not have meant it as a personal disrespect.

I'll stop at this point and await enlightment. Thanks

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is all very subjective and I'm sure rep points mean more to some than others. Personally I love getting them if it means that someone particularly liked the post to which it was attached. So, I peek at them all the time. It's also a great reality check for when I've pissed directly into the wind.

As far as negative reps go, it is my understanding that they are used very sparingly by most of our members.

They don't have any cash value and, unlike potpourri, they don't give off a pleasant odor when compiled in the CP dish. It's just for you to know who you've reached and in what capacity. I urge AWers to be free with them. If someone made you laugh - rep 'em. If they made you think - rep 'em and look up more of their posts. If they made you angry - call your mommy first, eat an immoderate portion of your favorite dessert, sleep on it and if you're still irked - neg rep them.

Annabella

writer again
Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
I urge AWers to be free with them. If someone made you laugh - rep 'em. If they made you think - rep 'em and look up more of their posts. If they made you angry - call your mommy first, eat an immoderate portion of your favorite dessert, sleep on it and if you're still irked - neg rep them.

I agree! Although, I tend to be a little random in my giving. Sometimes a post will remind me of something and I rep for a subject that is rather far removed from the original. Sorry 'bout that :tongue . What can I say-my mind works in very mysterious ways ;)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Annabella said:
I agree! Although, I tend to be a little random in my giving. Sometimes a post will remind me of something and I rep for a subject that is rather far removed from the original. Sorry 'bout that :tongue . What can I say-my mind works in very mysterious ways ;)

No, I think that's valid. If someone sent you off on an interesting tanget that's a fun thing to know.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Ohh! dlcharles grew up in Dodge city in the 1860's! Cool!

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
MacAllister said:
Ohh! dlcharles grew up in Dodge city in the 1860's! Cool!
That is funny - I laughed out loud - truly. I'm old, true, but not quite THAT old. Actually, I grew up in Laredo, Texas and my grandfather and father started the first commercial dairy there back in the days of Pancho Villa. Family history has it that grandfather ran Villa off for trying to smuggle cattle from the ranch.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
That's very cool. I grew up in NE Montana, and in many ways it was like growing up a hundred years ago.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
dlcharles said:
That is funny - I laughed out loud - truly. I'm old, true, but not quite THAT old. Actually, I grew up in Laredo, Texas and my grandfather and father started the first commercial dairy there back in the days of Pancho Villa. Family history has it that grandfather ran Villa off for trying to smuggle cattle from the ranch.

I was born in Laredo. Just had to say that. I hardly ever hear of the place. It makes me want to give a rep point!;)

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
Perks said:
....Personally I love getting them if it means that someone particularly liked the post to which it was attached. So, I peek at them all the time. It's also a great reality check for when I've pissed directly into the wind....
As far as negative reps go, it is my understanding that they are used very sparingly by most of our members.....

Thanks for the response - it is appreciated. I am a slow learner at times, admittedly, - it took me four times of going snipe hunting before I learned the truth about reaching into that sack - I was determined there had to be more than plain old s*** in there. I have never actually urinated directly into the wind, but I have operated a manure spreader in such a manner. That lesson I learned quickly.

And to MadderBlue: I also was born on the 11th day (different month). You've traveled extensively to go from the bottom of the United States to Japan - and to become a DJ even (yes, I looked at your profile) - multi-lingual? I remember when the bridge across the Rio Grande was only a series of pontoons, not the concrete structure it is today.

Annabella: "Tend to be random" - I'll give you a rep point just for responding - thanks.

Last edited:

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
dlcharles said:
And to MadderBlue: I also was born on the 11th day (different month). You've traveled extensively to go from the bottom of the United States to Japan - and to become a DJ even (yes, I looked at your profile) - multi-lingual? I remember when the bridge across the Rio Grande was only a series of pontoons, not the concrete structure it is today.

Annabella: "Tend to be random" - I'll give you a rep point just for responding - thanks.

Hey there, well, thank you! I just had a wonderful time browsing your website. I see you live in Arkansas. I need to get a map. I have a lot of relatives in Rogers, AK. Beautiful country out there. Beautiful! I also wanted to say that I found "The Real Story About the Bail Bond Business" fascinating! I have a good friend in Georgia and she married a man who spends a lot of time in and out of jail/courts. That whole world has always fascinated me. It was an eye opener to see some of it from the inside. If you ever write more on it, let me know. It really is very interesting to me. Well, you have a great day and I'll see you around here. :)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Hey!! You're both hijacking MY thread!!!

You know what I'm going to do about it??? I'm gonna give you a rep point each :D

Now that you know how to diferentiate between a good and a bad one, you will be reassured it was a good one ;)

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
DamaNegra said:
Hey!! You're both hijacking MY thread!!!

You know what I'm going to do about it??? I'm gonna give you a rep point each :D

Now that you know how to diferentiate between a good and a bad one, you will be reassured it was a good one ;)

Shhh! In today's social upheavals I wouldn't say that "tall lifting device procedure" - THEY might be watching! I'm sorry for the temporary diverse path you feel was taken from your thread - and willingly hand it back to you with utmost care and devotion. Pssst, I'm going to figure out a way to give several rep points in apology (as if anyone could be worthy enough to sneak a thread away from DamaNegra).

Last edited:

dlcharles

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dlcharles.com
madderblue said:
Hey there, well, thank you! I just had a wonderful time browsing your website. I see you live in Arkansas. I need to get a map. I have a lot of relatives in Rogers, AK. Beautiful country out there. Beautiful! I also wanted to say that I found "The Real Story About the Bail Bond Business" fascinating! I have a good friend in Georgia and she married a man who spends a lot of time in and out of jail/courts. That whole world has always fascinated me. It was an eye opener to see some of it from the inside. If you ever write more on it, let me know. It really is very interesting to me. Well, you have a great day and I'll see you around here. :)

I thank you for taking the time to visit my site. I will continue the expose' of the bail industry as rapidly as possible. Curiosity arises regarding your friend's husband, but I refrain with admirable strength. Being old and semi-retired we methodically searched for an area where we could still have a semblance of decent living for future income - and Arkansas fit the requirements.

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
You know, after an exceptionally crappy 48 hours, I was looking for something to cheer me up. I so never expected it to be THIS particular discussion.

You guys are great, thanks to all of you for bringing a smile to my face :)

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
DamaNegra, sorry about that. Actually, your question was a great one! I'm suprised it wasn't asked earlier. I must go though and follow Maestrowork's intsructions... just to be sure. :D !

I'm very tempted to talk about my friend's hubby as well. One of my obsessions is people and the choices they make...and eventually where that leads them. Also, about how people invariably find something or someone to blame for the less than auspicious swings of "fate". Oh, I'm sure I'm no different. But I hope to learn a little from observing. ;)

And magklmoon, it made me smile knowing that you smiled!:)

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
madderblue said:
I'm very tempted to talk about my friend's hubby as well. !:)

Is that the one who's been on and off jail??

Ok, I'll let you hijack my thread for that :) I'm also curious about people's choices and where those choices lead them. A rep point if you tell me more :D

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Okay, no names. Totally hypothetical...but say some guy has his buddies over to drink, gets wildly drunk, then offers to take those buddies to a gas station so they can by some smokes (not realizing the gas station he has parked at is closed). After a short wait his buddies come running out fast and are yelling something to the effect of 'drive! drive!' Oh my gosh they have just robbed the place! Starting the car, just about to drive away, aforementioned guy looks at the cartons of cigs and comments, 'What? No menthol?' and he personally goes BACK IN to remedy the situation.

Perks! Hey...do they have rooms for that here?? :D

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Actually, the weather is finally (after two week of straight rain) springy here where I am; that and I got an acceptance yesterday!...might explain my mood. Tip toe, through the tulips...:Sun:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
madderblue said:
Okay, no names. Totally hypothetical...but say some guy has his buddies over to drink, gets wildly drunk, then offers to take those buddies to a gas station so they can by some smokes (not realizing the gas station he has parked at is closed). After a short wait his buddies come running out fast and are yelling something to the effect of 'drive! drive!' Oh my gosh they have just robbed the place! Starting the car, just about to drive away, aforementioned guy looks at the cartons of cigs and comments, 'What? No menthol?' and he personally goes BACK IN to remedy the situation.

Perks! Hey...do they have rooms for that here?? :D

Ok so that is really weird. But of course, being drunk...

Status
Not open for further replies.