I still consider myself new...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basenjichaos

Registered
Reaction score
I've been lurking at absolutewrite for about 6 months, and still consider myself a newbie. I hope I'm posting this in the correct area.

I love the "story research" forum on here and use it regularly, but I am very hesitant to approach someone in real life and ask them questions. I write because I enjoy it, and not because I ever intend to seek publication. Right now, I have a specific question regarding Texas parole violators. I know several PO's personally that I could ask, but I am hesitant to do it for various reasons. Most people don't know I write, and I really am just getting back into it after many years of silence.

I am wondering if this is a common reticence, and if so, how have y'all overcome it?

*I am compelled to point out that I know parole/probation officers because I used to do counseling with juvenile delinquents and their families, and not because I have a particularly interesting personal history. I gave up that job as a lost cause several years ago and now spend my free time trying to talk people OUT of majoring in social work! (just kidding. sort of.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porting to Roundtable

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Here's the thing, if you admit to people you are a writer? You have to write. So telling people can be a way of creating some "positive pressure" toward your writing goals.

Plus, there are some subjects that, if they don't know you are a writer? It leaves them open to coming up with a wide variety of more "complicated" reasons you are asking these questions.

"Excuse me, just how much these chemicals do I need to dissolve a body? Oh, and how often does the night watchman come around?"

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
If you know these people, do you have email addresses for them? You might be able to ask questions that way. You could always say, "I'm kicking around this idea for a novel, but I was wondering about this or that and thought you might know." I can't tell from your post if you are more nervous to talk to these people in general or tell them you're writing. If these are people you still see and talk to them casually, I imagine you could just bring up the issues you're having without mentioning you're writing. A lot of people love to talk about their jobs, even if they don't like their jobs. It sounds like you have access to people with the info you need. Now, you just have to take the next step and get it. Good luck.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I was never a fan of public speaking, but I found myself in the position of having to make a presentation to the presidents board of my community college. I was on the Student Government and was trying to get professional wrestling into the college as a fund raiser. I had to do it so I did. It was kind of difficult, but I did my homework and was able to answer all the questions the board had and was able to assuage any fears of liability. After it was over it wasn't that bad. As time went on speaking publicly got easier. I went back to community college at 37 as a high school dropout so none of this was easy for me. I think you might find it a bit uncomfortable to do what we used to call an informational interview, but the more you do these types of things they get easier. Just make a list of all your questions. Contact the person you want to talk to and ask them for 20 minutes of their time. Send the questions beforehand if you think it might be easier for them. If they ask why, tell them the truth, that you are doing research for a writing project you have in mind. Most people will give you 20 minutes to talk about themselves. If not, thank them for their time and move to the next person. It may seem daunting, but taking it one step at a time and planning out your moves helps to ease that. At least for me. I know speaking publicly and what youre asking are not the same thing, but the solution applies just as well for either. Good luck.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of good advice here, feel free to take it to heart. If nothing else, remember that most folks are more than willing to help if you approach them properly.

Case in point: It's almost magic if your opening comment is something to the effect . . . "You see, I'm a writer and I have this story idea. Can I ask what you think about it? Your guidance/advice could really help me out."

It not only serves as a subtle yet flattering appeal to someone's ego, but it triggers an innate willingness to be of assistance (consistent with the positive reinforcement regimen we all experience within the normal human socialization process); to be of help is deemed to be personally rewarding.

If you can break the ice with a similar approach, your interviewee will most likely respond favorably (and in deference to your innate shyness, they'll then do most of the talking). Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.