PDA

View Full Version : How do you show thought?

Puddle Jumper
04-17-2006, 03:15 AM
Should I use single quotations marks, double, italisize it, nothing, or what? IE...

'I can't use it,' she thought.
"I can't use it," she thought.
I can't use it, she thought.

Sage
04-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Italics, no tag.

Puddle Jumper
04-17-2006, 03:24 AM
Italics, no tag.
Will an agent have no problem recognizing that when reading through?

maestrowork
04-17-2006, 03:30 AM
You underline instead of using italics in your ms. (considering you follow standard ms. formatting):

rich
04-17-2006, 03:31 AM
If we wouldn't, he/she wouldn't either.

I've also used quotations, but usually preceding or proceeding it with, -I thought-.

Both past muster and were not edited out when published.

veinglory
04-17-2006, 03:32 AM
I can't use it.

or

And everyone pretty much knows thought without the tag from italics and content.

Haggis
04-17-2006, 03:41 AM
Is this one of those things that differs, based upon which side of the pond you live?

veinglory
04-17-2006, 03:45 AM
I don't think so. or at least I've written it this way for UK and US markets and had no trouble.

Jamesaritchie
04-17-2006, 04:26 AM
I can't use it.

or

And everyone pretty much knows thought without the tag from italics and content.
There's nothing wrong with using italics AND the tag. There are many reason italics are used. Thoughts are only one such use. It's generally clearer to use both, particularly the first time.

But I would never, ever write -- I can't use it, she thought--to indicate thought of the same nature as italicized thought.

Either thought is imnportant enough to stand out from narrative, or it isn't. If it is, there should be italics. If it isn't, the thought shouldn't be there at all.

Cat Scratch
04-18-2006, 01:33 AM
It depends on what type of narrative you're using, or how closely you're in that character's head. If you're using an omnicient narrator, a thought tag may be necessary or else the leap into the character's head is jarring. But if you're using a more intimate third-person narrative where you're already viewing the world from this characters POV it isn't necessary because essentially everything we're witnessing is her thought.