PDA

View Full Version : Quick Semi-Panicked Question

lianna williamson
10-30-2015, 05:04 PM
I just got my first partial request, and they want a one-page synopsis pasted into the same document as the pages. The one-page synopsis I have is single-spaced. Do I double space it (which will make it closer to two pages), keep it single spaced, or (gulp) write an even shorter synopsis that will fit on one page double-spaced??

Filigree
10-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Ask them before you tie yourself into knots.

Aggy B.
10-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Synopses are generally single spaced. You should be fine pasting it in like that.

Jennifer_Laughran
10-30-2015, 07:30 PM
single spaced is fine. Relax!

lianna williamson
10-30-2015, 08:03 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'd kind of given up on getting a request and my brain just froze.

heza
10-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Thanks, everyone! I'd kind of given up on getting a request and my brain just froze.

Congratulations, then!

Claudia Traveller
10-30-2015, 08:48 PM

And who could blame you? Congratulations on the synopsis request... and good luck!

Dennis E. Taylor
10-30-2015, 10:04 PM
I sometimes wonder if the whole obsession with getting the format "just right" isn't kind of a "lucky socks" thing. Last time you didn't double-space and didn't get requests, so this time you'll double-space and things will go better. While my experience in this area is extremely limited, it seems to me that as long as you aren't doing something really egregious (like comic sans in purple on a yellow background), the agent is more interested in the content. Especially with email, he/she will have adjusted the windows font if there's a vision issue involved, and I doubt anyone's going to reject something because it's ten words too many.

I know, I know, I've seen the threads where people talk about the size of the slush pile and agents using shortcuts to trim the pile. But rationally, if you're using a shortcut that doesn't speak to the quality of the content in some way, you might as well just grab half the pile at random every day and drop it in the garbage can.

Sage
10-30-2015, 10:25 PM
This question is a lot more than "lucky socks." If the agent says "1-page synopsis" and means double-spaced, that's half the amount of words than the single-spaced one the OP already has. That's not about "this didn't work, so I'll try this instead." It's about a) giving the agent the type of synopsis they want, and b) whether the OP should put in the extra work to cut the synopsis in half

(but I don't think 1 page, double-spaced is ever going to happen)

Dennis E. Taylor
10-31-2015, 12:17 AM
This question is a lot more than "lucky socks." If the agent says "1-page synopsis" and means double-spaced, that's half the amount of words than the single-spaced one the OP already has. That's not about "this didn't work, so I'll try this instead." It's about a) giving the agent the type of synopsis they want, and b) whether the OP should put in the extra work to cut the synopsis in half

Granted, and agents will specify things that they're particular about. Which can probably be quite arbitrary in some cases. But if an agent doesn't specify, then isn't it reasonable to think that it's just not a hot-button issue for them? Instead of thinking of it as a hidden test?

Sage
10-31-2015, 12:23 AM
But if an agent does specify that they want the submission double-spaced, and they say to paste the synopsis into the same document, it's easy to see why someone might question whether the whole document is meant to be double-spaced. It can seem like the agent might have specified...or might have not, thus the question.

cate townsend
10-31-2015, 02:02 AM
Good luck, Lianna!