Obscure and quirky professions

inthewritemind

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the official name of the profession is, but I've heard of something called a "face feeler". The job is basically to feel faces in order to determine the effectiveness of things like lotions and creams on the skin.

That job always seemed very odd to me...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read of many over the years.

There's a guy whose job at the factory where they manufacture bathroom scales is to weigh himself on every scale that comes off the line, making sure the weight on the scale matches that on an accurate doctor-type scale.

There are drivers who work "honey trucks" which empty tanks of bathrooms not connected to sewage systems. (I worked in a place with such a bathroom. No, it did not smell.) The two honey truck drivers I knew both had suffered injuries leaving them entirely unable to smell anything, which seemed like a prerequisite for the job.

Assembly lines often have people whose tasks are so limited they literally tighten the same two bolts or paint the eyes on identical plastic dolls all day every day. Luckily, manufacturers long ago saw the wisdom in such employees swapping jobs often.

Have you checked out Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs" on youtube or elsewhere? His were all yucky, and some of them seemed pretty strange as well.

Maryn, who knew a girl whose father was a chicken sexer--and made a lot of money at it

Lalaloopsy

Registered
Reaction score
I can't remember which celebrity it was, but I once read a gossip story that some famous singer(?) hired somebody to wipe her dog's butt after he poops.

redfalcon

Registered
Reaction score
We have a guy in town who hand paints company logos on trucks and signs. I guess it's only weird in the age of vinyl wraps for trucks.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
I was a chicken catcher for a whole day once. When it comes time for the chickens to go to the slaughterhouse you don't just heard them onto a truck. Instead you hire a bunch of losers to grab them and stuff them into incredibly small crates stacked by the hundreds on a truck which takes them to their final destination. It pays pretty good if you have seniority.

I also spent a summer putting up and taking down for sale signs. Most real estate agents are too busy to do it themselves so they hire some losers to do it for them. Pays okay and is miles better than catching chickens.