PDA

View Full Version : Behold This Stunning Edition Of Ursula K. Le Guin's A Wizard Of Earthsea

MikaelS
10-25-2015, 06:01 AM
http://io9.com/behold-this-stunning-edition-of-ursula-k-le-guins-a-wi-1738380436

This looks stunning.

jjdebenedictis
10-25-2015, 06:17 AM
Eh, I actually commented on the io9 site to say I didn't much like this art. The line drawings are awesome, but the painting just strikes me as muddy.

And that's too bad, because Ged deserves to be represented correctly, after all these years of being white-washed. Love them books. :heart:

tianaluthien
10-26-2015, 02:52 AM
because Ged deserves to be represented correctly, after all these years of being white-washed. Love them books. :heart:

^THIS^

I was so furious when they made that tv series I didn't even bother watching.

Those books are nothing short of genius. *hugs Earthsea books*

MikaelS
10-26-2015, 05:40 AM
Hayao Miyazaki's son made a movie loosely based on the series called Tales From Earthsea. It was critically panned, but I liked it quite a bit. Worth checking out if you like anime.

tianaluthien
10-26-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm a fan of Miyazaki. I'll check it out.

Shadow_Ferret
10-28-2015, 07:37 PM
I've never read her books and that art certainly won't make me rush to the bookstore.

EMaree
10-28-2015, 07:59 PM
Hrrrmmm. I was so sure I'd like the art, because my art tastes are fairly wide-ranging, but... nah, I'm not a fan.

It's frustrating because the lines are *lovely*, that dragon is gorgeous, but the colour choices really aren't working for me. I wouldn't mind the kind of sketchy colouring style (it reminds me of marker pens going dry) if the colour choices were more vibrant.

The dragon piece would have looked amazing with a bit more red/blue contrast between dragon and sky, and the starry night piece seems like a missed opportunity for more vibrant brown skin or boat coloring to contrast the blue. The muted colours really aren't working for me.

jjdebenedictis
10-28-2015, 11:32 PM
Hrrrmmm. I was so sure I'd like the art, because my art tastes are fairly wide-ranging, but... nah, I'm not a fan.

It's frustrating because the lines are *lovely*, that dragon is gorgeous, but the colour choices really aren't working for me. I wouldn't mind the kind of sketchy colouring style (it reminds me of marker pens going dry) if the colour choices were more vibrant.

The dragon piece would have looked amazing with a bit more red/blue contrast between dragon and sky, and the starry night piece seems like a missed opportunity for more vibrant brown skin or boat coloring to contrast the blue. The muted colours really aren't working for me.The sky in that one image is great--but then Ged, Lookfar (his boat), and the sea just kind of disappear against it. I, too, would like these a lot if the colours were different.

fergrex
10-29-2015, 12:39 AM
The colors remind me of kapa/tapa cloth.

eirewriter
11-01-2015, 10:24 PM
reminds me that I have signed, first-editions of this trilogy in my parents attic. Hardback.

Just did a quick google there - omg, they're worth a fortune! Hopefully they didn't let the damp get to them like they did with my LOTR original calendars!

Abderian
11-02-2015, 03:52 AM
I love the artwork, but then I have little to no artistic sense, ha! I didn't know the history behind le Guin's frustration with white-washing. Sad but not surprising, though you would think someone as successful as her would have more of a say over the covers for her own books. That's one advantage self-publishers have these days.

blacbird
11-04-2015, 03:29 AM
I've never read her books and that art certainly won't make me rush to the bookstore.

You shouldn't let that art prevent you from reading LeGuin. She has simply been one of the finest writers of SF and Fantasy of the last half-century.

caw

Shadow_Ferret
11-04-2015, 05:03 AM
You shouldn't let that art prevent you from reading LeGuin. She has simply been one of the finest writers of SF and Fantasy of the last half-century.

cawOh, no no. I meant I wouldn't be rushing to the bookstore for this particular book.

Eventually, I'll get around to reading her. As soon as I find some used copies of her early paperbacks.

Cobalt Jade
11-26-2015, 08:43 AM
This is the first cover I remember. (http://scv.bu.edu/~aarondf/earthsea/images/esea-pe-woe.jpg) It's still evocative, even though there was no titanic dragon eating an island city in the first book (or any other Earthsea book for that matter.)

Roxxsmom
11-26-2015, 09:16 AM
This is the first cover I remember. (http://scv.bu.edu/~aarondf/earthsea/images/esea-pe-woe.jpg) It's still evocative, even though there was no titanic dragon eating an island city in the first book (or any other Earthsea book for that matter.)

Think that was supposed to be Yevaud, who was occupying the ruins of a city. But yeah, the perspective is all wrong.