Killing Baby Hitler

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you could go back in time and comment....
The internet has done strange things to legacy media organisations, with each day delivering some novel contortion designed to capture the ever-wandering eyes of those once known as readers.Enter the New York Times Magazine, who on Friday, sent the phrase "baby Hitler" trending across social media sites.
It posed the ultimate ethical conundrum: would you go back in time and kill baby Hitler?

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/nyt-mag...aby-hitler-20151023-gkhggy.html#ixzz3pRDtyqt3

(The comments are pretty good :) )

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I actually read something on Twitter about that which struck me as very clever. A person noted that the death of Hitler's brother from measles had a profound effect on the boy. Adolf went from being a seemingly happy and normal child to being quite taciturn and hard to manage. So maybe instead of going back in time to kill Hilter, you should inoculate his brother against measles.

Pain often comes from pain; maybe it would help. But then again, there's something to be said for the argument that the anti-semitism was already there, and if Hitler hadn't led the movement, someone else would have.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I actually read something on Twitter about that which struck me as very clever. A person noted that the death of Hitler's brother from measles had a profound effect on the boy. Adolf went from being a seemingly happy and normal child to being quite taciturn and hard to manage. So maybe instead of going back in time to kill Hilter, you should inoculate his brother against measles.

Pain often comes from pain; maybe it would help. But then again, there's something to be said for the argument that the anti-semitism was already there, and if Hitler hadn't led the movement, someone else would have.

Were there any eyewitness testimonies written after the first World War to prove that local communities then, were basically anti-semetic?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Were there any eyewitness testimonies written after the first World War to prove that local communities then, were basically anti-semetic?

You can't be serious. Have you read any European history at all?

Anti Semitism in Europe goes back to at least the Crusade of 1096, when thousands of Jews were killed by Christians.

Some things to research:

Hugh of Lincoln
Martin Luther and "Of Jews and Their Lies"—seized upon later by Germans as a reason to murder Jews and burn synagogues.
Expulsion of the Jews (typically on pain of death, but their property was seized first): England in 1290, I think, France in 1306, 1492's Alhambra Decree in Spin
Pogrom

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By local do you mean German? Or do you just mean "localised communities"? Because the anti-semitism thing was pretty wide-spread. I know the Venetian ghetto (which I think was the first use of the word ghetto - Medi?) - dates from the early 1500s: and it was put in place because of pre-existing attitudes to Jews.

Anti-semitism goes back a long, long way.

ETA: Venice ghetto Extraordinary place to visit if you get the chance.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In any case, this is just an Office Party thread. :Sun:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
This has been a legitimate moral/philosophical question for quite some time. I don't get the snark.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
This has been a legitimate moral/philosophical question for quite some time. I don't get the snark.

Legitimate moral/philosophical questions typically don't get posted in Office Party. Snark gets posted in Office Party. If you have a problem with a post, hit the report post button. A moderator with be sure to handle it. If you don't trust the forum moderator (and in this particular case, I wouldn't if I were you), PM MacAllister.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
By local do you mean German? Or do you just mean "localised communities"? Because the anti-semitism thing was pretty wide-spread. I know the Venetian ghetto (which I think was the first use of the word ghetto - Medi?) - dates from the early 1500s: and it was put in place because of pre-existing attitudes to Jews.

Anti-semitism goes back a long, long way.

ETA: Venice ghetto Extraordinary place to visit if you get the chance.

I misunderstood because I was unsure of the statement made by jj.
I thought she did not say, Yes, anti-semetism did play a part in Germany because the community was already like that. So, yes, if it wasn't Hitler, it was going to be someone else soon after.

I read her statement as, maybe it happened that way or maybe it didn't.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com

You know, there is a song that comes to mind . . .

Et si j'étais né en '17 à Leidenstadt
Sur les ruines d'un champ de bataille
Aurais-je été meilleur ou pire que ces gens
Si j'avais été allemand ?

Bercé d'humiliation, de haine et d'ignorance
Nourri de rêves de revanche
Aurais-je été de ces improbables consciences
Larmes au milieu d'un torrent

[[If I'd been born in '17 in Leidenstadt (fictional German city),
On top of ruins, in a battlefield
Would I have behaved better or worse than those people
If I'd been German?

Born into humiliation, hatred and ignorance
Fed on dreams of revenge
Would I have been one of those unlikely beings with a conscience
Like some teardrops in the midst of a flood?]]

Good ol' Jean-Jacques. Spent his life writing for Celine while nobody listened to his stuff.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just liked the comments in the newspaper story.

ETA: That was why I posted in Office Party.

Last edited:

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Legitimate moral/philosophical questions typically don't get posted in Office Party. Snark gets posted in Office Party. If you have a problem with a post, hit the report post button. A moderator with be sure to handle it. If you don't trust the forum moderator (and in this particular case, I wouldn't if I were you), PM MacAllister.

I was referring to the responses on Twitter, not on here. LOL :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I just liked the comments in the newspaper story.

ETA: That was why I posted in Office Party.

There is not a problem with you posting this in Office Party. As I already explained to you via rep message.

Please carry on.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There is something else I would like to mention.
I feel like I can never accurately know or understand the mindset of a German family. Because I've asked an visitor from Germany that was an acquaintance of a friend of mine what Germans today think of Hitler's offenses.

I asked because I wanted firsthand information.

She was very offended. And I was mortified for having transgressed something that I could not perceive.
And the few Jewish people I know I have never been able to ask anything about being Jewish or how they perceive racism. Because they have become suddenly on guard and the air quickly became uncomfortable.

I have never since my last experience asked a Jewish person about being Jewish. And I don't have a problem with their religion or race. I just want to know what is in the world around me. I choose to never ask any questions but wait until they choose to broach the subject. If they ever do so.

So, I don't know accurately the Jewish experience because I don't have the firsthand information.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was referring to the responses on Twitter, not on here. LOL :)
I suppose the snark is just because it's a question that assumes some kind of pre-ordination of events. Was the Holocaust really the fault of Baby-Anyone? That kind of thing. But I did like the comments - esp the one about Baby Stalin feeling worried.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
This pretty much covers all the issues: Wikihistory.
I wanted to post this! How dare you post one of my favorite shorts before I do! Grrr!

And theories like this have come up constantly. This is just the new iteration of it.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There is something else I would like to mention.
I feel like I can never accurately know or understand the mindset of a German family. Because I've asked an visitor from Germany that was an acquaintance of a friend of mine what Germans today think of Hitler's offenses.

I asked because I wanted firsthand information.

She was very offended. And I was mortified for having transgressed something that I could not perceive.
And the few Jewish people I know I have never been able to ask anything about being Jewish or how they perceive racism. Because they have become suddenly on guard and the air quickly became uncomfortable.

I have never since my last experience asked a Jewish person about being Jewish. And I don't have a problem with their religion or race. I just want to know what is in the world around me. I choose to never ask any questions but wait until they choose to broach the subject. If they ever do so.

So, I don't know accurately the Jewish experience because I don't have the firsthand information.

What answers were you hoping to get? That Adolf, a bit of a bastard, but he sure had a sense of rhythm.

All those mothers in the Fatherland,
I said 'Achtung, baby, I got me a plan'
They said, 'Whatcha got, Adolf? Whatcha gonna do?'
I said, 'How about this one? World War Two.'

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I kind of like time travel stories where someone goes back to kill a baddie, only to have to keep killing baddies because the timeline keeps dumping unintended consequences on them, only to become the baddie themselves because they're a serial killer now.

Time travel offers some great metaphor opportunities. Pity it can be notoriously confusing for the audience.

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What answers were you hoping to get? That Adolf, a bit of a bastard, but he sure had a sense of rhythm.

All those mothers in the Fatherland,
I said 'Achtung, baby, I got me a plan'
They said, 'Whatcha got, Adolf? Whatcha gonna do?'
I said, 'How about this one? World War Two.'

I guess what I was asking was, how did the average German feel about taking the property, dignity and lives of their close neighbors.
And is there some of that still?

Errant Lobe

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
And I have read that many Germans didn't manifest their hatred for their hardworking Jewish neighbors until they saw that the atmosphere included no reprisals for their actions.

So, here we have cordial neighbors being nice to you even visiting on occasion and then borrowing a cup of sugar.
And then, the persecution starts and you suddenly learn that all this time the neighbor resented your success.

Questions like these I wish to learn more about. I still have a stubborn need to know, why?

Last edited: