PDA

View Full Version : What is your Technorati rank?

razibahmed
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Dear all,
I guess many of you have registered your blog in http://technorati.com/.

Technorati Rank: 58,097- is the rank of my blog http://www.southasiabiz.com/. Have you checked your blog's rank? I guess this rank is done on the basis how many blogs link your blog.

Dawno
04-16-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm at 52,927. 134 links from 44 sites. I need to get busy! ;)

JulieB
04-16-2006, 10:07 PM
My rank really fell after I changed the URL. Most people have changed their links, but Technorati hasn't picked up on it. In fact, it took a couple of weeks to get them to pick up on the fact that I'd changed my URL.

Yep, I did all the necessary things. I have a friend in the same boat. Her blog shows that it hasn't been updated for over 100 days, yet she blogs daily.

I do know that some people who are also on Technorati link to me and they don't show up in my stats. I don't know what to make of that. I just don't obsess over it.

razibahmed
04-16-2006, 10:08 PM
My blog is just 26 days old now and I think I am doing fine. 41 sites link my blog.

Sury
04-17-2006, 08:13 AM
I am sorry for being dense. I only signed up to Technorati today. How does one check blog rankings there? I explored, but couldn't figure out.

Thanks for any help :).

Sury

DamaNegra
04-17-2006, 08:50 AM
I'd try singing but it gave me the same fillout screen over and over again, each time saying my username had already been taken. When I tried to log in, I couldn't. I checked my mail to see if they had sent something but no. Weird.

sthrnwriter
04-17-2006, 10:04 AM
My ranks are 289,594 for Southern Expressions and 139,635 for Ghost Stories. I guess I'm way behind.

Sury - When you log in at Technorati, at the top of the page it says account, favorites, etc. You click on blogs and it shows a list of your blogs that you have claimed. Underneath the name of your blog is the rank.

razibahmed
04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I am sorry for being dense. I only signed up to Technorati today. How does one check blog rankings there? I explored, but couldn't figure out.

Thanks for any help :).

Sury
It will take another 2-3 weeks before you can see your rank. The rank depends on how many websites have linked your blog.

ATP
04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to what the return on investment is with Technorati?

As I understand, the vast majority of people blog as a past time thing eg. online diary. So, what is the return/payoff for what amounts to a highly sophisticated unpaid activity?

ATP

jenngreenleaf
04-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Can someone enlighten me as to what the return on investment is with Technorati?

As I understand, the vast majority of people blog as a past time thing eg. online diary. So, what is the return/payoff for what amounts to a highly sophisticated unpaid activity?

ATPSome people use them as a portfolio or as a spring board for a business . . . that's why I want my numbers to be higher. Mine is sort of a temporary domain -- a test to see if it will take off and be worth the investment.

scarlet
04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey, just goes to show how valuable a forum like this can be. I hadn't heard of this site. I'm going to pop over now and find out what it's all about.

Thanks again for the 'heads up' Razi

JulieB
04-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Some people use them as a portfolio or as a spring board for a business . . . that's why I want my numbers to be higher. Mine is sort of a temporary domain -- a test to see if it will take off and be worth the investment.

I hope to get some work out of my journal as well, but I don't think a high Technorati rank is going to help me get any freelance assignments. I suppoe it could, but I'm not counting on it.

I use Technorati to see what other people are blogging about, and what others who blog in the same topics I do are saying.

In the meantime, I wonder if it's possible to game a blog rank like people game Google search ranks. If so, that could render Technorati's ranking system virtually useless. I've seen one or two splogs (spam blogs) show up, but surprisingly, there have been few. I wonder if the time it takes to register and claim a blog along with the time it takes Technorati to finally start listing it is a hurdle to spammers.

Dawno
04-17-2006, 06:48 PM

ATP

I believe it would depend on the purpose for your blog. With one of the top 100 blogs there is a lot of traffic thus ad revenue may be much higher as well as visibility - and if that's what you're after then you've got your ROI - but Technorati only helps show your visibility. If you blog a lot and use some of the tools you might increase your traffic significantly.

It doesn't take much time to sign up to Technorati and there are a number of features that provide some efficiencies - the favorites and the watchlist are what I use most. Favorites for my 'on blog' notification of who has updated recently and watchlist to see who's linking to my blog. We use the tags here to "index" certain topics - like the AW Monday Meme. If you wanted to see all the past Monday Meme's that folk here (who remembered to use the tag) have done you could just check the Technorati Tags page and see them.

For me it's just fun. And who knows, we're still in the infancy of the blogosphere - being an early adopter could have benefits we can't guess at yet.

razibahmed
04-17-2006, 09:08 PM

ATP

This shows this that technorati is not for you. By the way, blogging is not unpaid anymore and many newspapers and fortune 500 companies are seriously contemplating and even hiring people to blog for them and in the next 5 years much online advertisement spendings will go towards blogs. I invite you to visit my blog (http://www.southasiabiz.com/) about South Asian Business. I am sure that you will find here nothing like online diary but serious journalism.

Technorati ranking can help a lot. If your blog is among the top 100 then you can be sure of getting a good income from ad revenues.

jenngreenleaf
04-18-2006, 01:12 AM
I thought of the conversation in this thread when I read this article:

http://smallbusiness.aol.com/grow/marketing/article?id=20060414132809990001

ATP
04-18-2006, 05:37 AM
This shows this that technorati is not for you. By the way, blogging is not unpaid anymore and many newspapers and fortune 500 companies are seriously contemplating and even hiring people to blog for them and in the next 5 years much online advertisement spendings will go towards blogs. I invite you to visit my blog (http://www.southasiabiz.com/) about South Asian Business. I am sure that you will find here nothing like online diary but serious journalism.

Technorati ranking can help a lot. If your blog is among the top 100 then you can be sure of getting a good income from ad revenues.

I do not wish to "burst your balloon" or "rain on your parade" as many Americans say, but I wish to provide a few thoughts about this.

Audience.
Presently, my audience is chiefly editors, the vast majority of whom are already stretched for time. It is very difficult to get an editor to examine one's website, let alone one's blog. In such cases, the choice is "6 of one, and half a dozen of the other".And most will not voluntarily go to the internet to examine a site/s when they are already inundated/overloaded with e-mail on a daily basis.

If I wished to broaden my audience to other potential, paying customers, the same time constraint issue that affects editors also applies.

Growth.
As I understand it, there are now millions of blogs already around.And the number is expected to grow. How is one expected to get through all the 'clutter' to get oneself read and heard? And, not all of these will be able to 'monetize'.

But, as Dawno says, being an early adopter might enable one to 'ride the wave', wherever it goes.

Burn-out.
Already from some of the very few that I have read, from those who've been doing it for quite sometime, there is the noted problem of burn-out. As with the problem of journalists on a daily newspaper.

Value.
From a journalism point of view, blogs have shown themselves to be good alternative voices, and which have proved an effective means of persuasion, and investigation in some cases.

But, extrapolating from the article provided in J. Hollowell's link, if blogs are taken up in the ways indicated, then they no longer become alternative voices. Like the wholesale change from the original internet to its present form, these voices will become (if not already) corporate voices, and just another tool of their PR and/or Marketing departments. Thus, the original meaning will be lost, and become 'corporatised'. And, corporations are doing so as a means to counter the multiplier effect - the rapid murmur and gossip blogs provide.In such cases, I can see that blogs' effectiveness is in being able to receive quick response.And the necessity to respond quickly in return.

And where is an already overworked small business owner going to find the time to attend to such on a daily basis? Will it be given over to someone like the secretary or some such? If the owner is attentive, he/she could order that a rapid response be frequently made via the company website,yes?

ATP

Dawno
04-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Excellent points and so well presented, ATP!

I also forsee that when the blogosphere becomes corporatized (and no longer cool to the upcoming generations) there will be a migration to something else (just don't know what yet) because I believe many people are addicted to the kind of social networking that occurs in blogging.

I also believe there will be the ability to share freely in multiple mediums provided by services like Live Journal, Blogger, etc., (video and voice are just awaiting more people with more bandwidth) - the Apple already has an excellent quality built in videocam and we know that all those MMORPG folk are on headsets talking to each other thru their 'clan' servers...

And the next wave could be something we can't even imagine - unless we're up to date on our Science Fiction reading (something I'm behind on these days).

This is a wonderful conversation - I hope others will weigh in!

mdin
04-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I just signed up with my myspace blog, and my rank is in the gajillions. No links in, so nobody here should feel bad about their blog being poorly ranked. It's not physically possible for it to be lower than mine.

jenngreenleaf
04-18-2006, 06:04 PM
This is a wonderful conversation - I hope others will weigh in!I agree -- and I hope so, too.

I think I'm looking at mine in a different way. I don't expect people to read my daily because, the way mine is set up, it's meant to look back on and find subjects of interest. Reading it daily would prove boring for those who aren't interested in all art mediums. The links on the side are eventually going to be linked to the blog entry pertaining to that subject. That way, it's a reference. I don't want it to be a "this is what I did today . . . blah, blah, blah" blog or an opinion about this, that or the other thing blog because then it won't be the tool I'm visioning.

I thought a lot of people used blogs in this way. I know I didn't come up with this use on my own . . . I read somewhere that there's no original idea out there, so where are the rest of the people trying to use their blogs as a vehicle to achieve goals or to work toward something better?

Gozzy
04-18-2006, 06:38 PM
I agree, this is a great thread.

I just started a blog. I have no intention of trying to make money out of it (I hope I can do that with my other writing) and I don't want to end up doing the "this is what I did today" thing. I started my blog for one very simple reason - to write without the constraints that inevitably come with professional writing.

The idea of being able to write about anything and not give a toss about the audience, editors, acceptance or money (and still put it out there for people to see) is very liberating. Of course, it is likely that not many people will ever read my blog, but so be it. Hopefully, my writing will improve by allowing myself the freedom to use different voices as I blog. So far (and it's only been two weeks since I began blogging) I have been much more productive in both my money making writing and with generating ideas.

Happy blogging,

Rob

Richard White
04-26-2006, 08:10 AM
I'm not doing so well Technorati wise (only one outside link to my web site, but that's probably because most of the people linked to it are also livejournal users.

But, I'm certainly glad for what I have.

Dawno
04-26-2006, 08:25 AM
What *is* with their snobbiness about LJ? And I can't get site meter to work on LJ either.

Insomnicole
04-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Heh, I'm at 125,848. 26 links from 22 sites.

I have a weight loss blog; while I'm not looking to earn ad revenue from the thing (which is just as well considering my Technorati rank!), I love having a place to note all my various trials, tribulations, and triumphs. The blog has really helped me when I hit rough patches; I can look back over my old entries to see how I dealt with problems in the past. And I love the support from commenters. I'd say I'm definitely in it for the sense of community.

razibahmed
05-07-2006, 03:50 PM
My rank in Technoratiy is now 25,734 (161 links from 79 sites).

Dawno
05-07-2006, 05:16 PM
That's good for a relative newcomer, razibahmed. You're in the "Magic Middle" I hear from a friend of mine that's up on these kind of things.

I wish I could get her to join here - she could definitely add to the conversation here - she's got many a contact from the movers and shakers of online journalism and social networking.

bsolah
05-08-2006, 11:03 AM

ATP

The 'return on investment' is that it's enjoyable. I don't do things to get a payoff or return.

I might be alone when I say I don't like the focus a lot of blogging discussions. Big blogging articles and blogs focus on how much money you can make out of it. I never saw that as the point of blogging and I never will. I like the fact that I have somewhere to write daily and some people read it.

bsolah
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Also, my technorati rank is 40,735 - 93 links to 55 sites

scarlet
05-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I might be alone when I say I don't like the focus a lot of blogging discussions. Big blogging articles and blogs focus on how much money you can make out of it. I never saw that as the point of blogging and I never will. I like the fact that I have somewhere to write daily and some people read it.

Hi Benjamin,

You're not alone! I see my blog as a way of practicing and refining my writing at the same time trying to make it interesting for those who might stop by and read. I like to use humour even if it's only me laughing. Considering the number of posts I've attracted it probably is!

Having said all that I view the rest of my website a bit differently. Here I hope to promote my e-books when I get them written and other affiliates etc. A girl's gotta eat:D

September skies
05-21-2006, 03:19 AM
:( I'm so dense when it comes to all this. I can not find the place to find the ranking -- but then again, I am the same person who can't even turn on my own television set, my daughters have to do it - too complicated for me. It takes three remotes and I always click the wrong buttons.

Richard White
05-21-2006, 04:29 AM
Technorati Rank: 733,956 (4 links from 3 sites)

Wow! I'm really moving up there. <g>

Trouble is, most of the links to my site are from livejournal, so they don't count toward a Technorati total.

September skies
05-21-2006, 08:40 PM
OK, someone on here had pity on me and was kind enough to check my rank and rep the info to me.

Your blog rank is 171,897 (21 links from 17 sites)

Thank you so much! :) Of course, I have no idea what it really means - but that's ok. LOL
Oh...I'm also very proud of myself, I figured out how to add links to my blog - so now I can add the ones I visit all the time and others from here.

DTKelly
05-21-2006, 10:01 PM
405,941 (14 links from 7 sites)

ChaosTitan
05-21-2006, 10:36 PM
:e2cry:

:e2smack:

So...anyone wanna trade links?

KellyC
05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
ha! 1,201,479 (0 links from 0 sites)

That's just fantastic. But here's my question. It also says "one site links to..." and I know of another site that made reference to my blog. So why does it say 0? I don't get it. Does someone have to do something special when they link to your site? More than just post your url?

KellyC
07-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Times are ch-ch-ch-changin' since the last backup! Check out my update:

Technorati Rank: 17,811 (157 links from 120 sites)

http://technorati.com/search/http://kellycurtis.blogspot.com

bsolah
07-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Wow Kelly. You're just ahead of me: Rank: 17,982 (166 links from 119 sites)

KellyC
07-05-2006, 01:57 AM
You're definitely moving up the technorati ladder too!

bsolah
07-05-2006, 03:16 AM
I better be ;) I've been blogging for 2 years as of the 4th of July.

Thomma Lyn
07-05-2006, 03:36 AM
ha! 1,201,479 (0 links from 0 sites)

That's just fantastic. But here's my question. It also says "one site links to..." and I know of another site that made reference to my blog. So why does it say 0? I don't get it. Does someone have to do something special when they link to your site? More than just post your url?

Similar problem here, Kelly. My ranking is way low - "1,388,899 (0 links from 0 sites)." But I know of two people who have blogrolled me. Clearly that isn't being reflected in my Technorati stats. No clue why not.

Hee, might get my ranking up to at least 1,299,999 if it were reflected, huh? (LOL!)

I'm pretty new to blogging - been at it just shy of a month - and I "know" very few other bloggers as of yet. Yeah, I know - patience, patience. :)

KellyC
07-05-2006, 03:56 AM
I encourage you to check out TeddyG's posts in the Cobwebs of the Mind blogroll thread and diligently read all the related articles on his blog (http://teddygross.blogspot.com/). Very good info thre on how to improve your rankings, etc.

Thomma Lyn
07-05-2006, 05:24 AM
I encourage you to check out TeddyG's posts in the Cobwebs of the Mind blogroll thread and diligently read all the related articles on his blog (http://teddygross.blogspot.com/). Very good info thre on how to improve your rankings, etc.

I've read 'em - they're excellent. Guess I just need to keep at it and be patient. :)

KellyC
07-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Technorati Rank: 12,223 (213 links from 164 sites)

:D

bsolah
07-06-2006, 04:12 AM
:Hail:

Wow, you're moving up real quick. I'm at Rank: 17,481 (166 links from 122 sites) (http://www.technorati.com/search/www.benjaminsolah.com/blog) for my blog, Benjamin Solah: Writer and Revolutionary (http://benjaminsolah.com/blog), but my new horror blog carnival, Tastes of the Darkness (http://tastesofthedarkness.wordpress.com) is at Rank: 166,778 (73 links from 20 sites) (http://www.technorati.com/search/tastesofthedarkness.wordpress.com) and it's only been up about six weeks!

Thomma Lyn
07-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Oops, stupid post alert. Forgot about the lost weeks of posts!

Anyway, I'd be happy to exchange links, if any of y'all are interested. :)

KellyC
07-06-2006, 05:45 AM
I wrote a post in the AW chain thread to suggest creating an AW blogroll. I was referring just to the AW Chain participants, but maybe we should just include all the AW bloggers that want to be on the blogroll. I know that there are people that have a lot of the html already written for a list like this, so that's why I posted the question, thinking part of the work would already be done.

bsolah
07-06-2006, 06:19 AM
I really like the idea of a blogroll full of writer-bloggers, but my sidebar is really full. If there was a more condensed way of displaying the list (drop down menu, expandable list etc) then I'd be up for it, for sure!

KellyC
07-06-2006, 06:22 AM
I have the same problem. What I had suggested in the other thread is to use a small graphic that points to a post within your blog. The post would introduce your readers to the blogroll and the entire list. That way, it's included on your blog, your readers can access it, and everyone gets the benefit of your link, but it doesn't clutter your front page.

Goto my blog and you'll see what I mean.

bsolah
07-06-2006, 06:30 AM
I like that idea a lot, actually. I'm a member of 'Blogs against Torture, but haven't put their 'roll on my blog yet. I should do it, and I'll do it that way.

Plus, wordpress has the convenience of pages :D

As an aside, you should blog about me. I'm 20, which is youth, maybe :D :D

KellyC
07-06-2006, 06:35 AM
Give me an empowered youth -worthy anecdote and I will! It has to be an example of how you're helping make the world a better place, youth leadership, community service, major volunteering etc.

But if your 9, then I write about the fact you talked your dad into selling his tent.

If you're 7, I take a picture of you jumping in the lake.

bsolah
07-06-2006, 06:42 AM
I guess it depends on your definition. I'm a political activist, and my group is centered around student activism.

KellyC
07-06-2006, 06:49 AM
hmmmm. I visited your revolutionary blog and it looks really great. My readers are parents and educators, though, so your activism might be too far out for them. (The vampire site wouldn't fly either;))

If you could write a post that describes what you're doing, I might be able to link to it. It has to be pretty tame for my market though - no violence, just empowered youth leaders. I didn't see profanity on your site, either, which is a must for me.

I'd love it if this could work. PM me with your idea so that I can give you the head's up on if it's a direction I could send my readers.

Thanks for considering this.

L M Ashton
07-06-2006, 07:01 AM
I'm also going to suggest we put all this in a separate thread so it's searchable and other people who aren't interested in technorati rankings will get involved.

Dawno, is it possible to split this off or something?

L M Ashton
07-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Kelly, the list you want is here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32816). It hasn't been updated recently, but it's a really good start.

KellyC
07-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Holy list, batman! That is a great list --- thanks for finding it.

Only thing is, usually with blogrolls, you have to put the roll on your site before you'll get added to the list. That way you know everyone is actually linking. We'll have to do some thinking on this. anyone every managed a blogroll?

I agree it should be a different thread.

spacejock2
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Technorati Rank 186,869 (43 links from 18 sites)

I'm working on it :-/

FatTire
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
I only have 1 link. But I'm new to this. Give me time. I really love this blogging stuff.

I'm actually going to have my 5th graders keep a blog this school year, instead of a journal. I mean they can keep a journal, but I want them to blog.

KellyC
07-13-2006, 01:12 AM
FatTire - keep me posted on your blogging project. You sound like the kind of teacher who empowers his/her students and if you'll blog in that way, I'd love to link to you.

Best wishes!

KellyC
07-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Technorati Rank: 8,070 (321 links from 240 sites)

bsolah
07-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Wow, Kelly you're really moving up quickly.

KellyC
07-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Up and then down again - it seems to change every day and I don't really understand the rhyme or reason.

bsolah
07-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Well, it looks like I moved up a couple of thousand places too: 15,383 (188 links from 144 sites)

KellyC
07-15-2006, 04:35 PM
awesome!

nancy02664
07-21-2006, 12:49 AM
Technorati Rank: 211,289 (90 links from 16 sites)

Not great, but I'm working on it... :)

badducky
07-26-2006, 02:12 AM

Only 2 sites link to my blog. One of them is in this message board.

Well, it's nice to put a numerical value on how much I suck...

Bayou Bill
08-04-2006, 05:53 AM

Only 2 sites link to my blog. One of them is in this message board.

Well, it's nice to put a numerical value on how much I suck... It's not that bad, ducky (sorry). Best I recall, my original Tech ranking was in the four million range. That was with no links or sites. Now I've zoomed up (or down as the case may be) to eight links, eight sites and a score in the 400,000 range.

Since I just use my blog to have a "presence" on the 'net and post some of my writing, that figure is okay by me.

Bayou Bill :cool:

MoneyMakinMama
08-04-2006, 07:55 AM
:(

*sigh*

KellyC
08-04-2006, 07:36 PM
PASS THE TORCH

Still climbing!

bsolah
08-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Wow, Kelly, that's amazing. I haven't budged lately at all.

asorum
08-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Rank: 929,716 (4 links from 3 blogs) Guess I better get to work.

Bayou Bill
08-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Rank: 929,716 (4 links from 3 blogs) Guess I better get to work.Relax. Maybe next week. It's almost the weekend. :e2drunk:

BrianK
08-05-2006, 02:44 AM
40,968 (105 links from 68 blogs)

Kelly C, you gotta tell us your secret!;)

KellyC
08-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Blogrolls, baby. Blogrolls.

Wanna join this one? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36536

(Also, commenting like a wild fool, joining carnivals, replying to comments you get, Thursday Thirteen madness.... The list goes on...)

Simran
08-09-2006, 07:21 PM

nancy02664
08-11-2006, 03:05 AM
So my rank has gone up -- from 211,289 to 194,159 -- but I still have 90 links from 16 sites, just like before. Why the increase?

(I'm not complaining or anything. :) Just curious about what other factors are used in determining rank.)

asorum
08-11-2006, 03:29 AM
Rank: 929,716 (4 links from 3 blogs) Guess I better get to work. It has improved a little: Rank: 706,772 (5 links from 4 blogs)

Bayou Bill
08-11-2006, 03:43 AM
So my rank has gone up -- from 211,289 to 194,159 -- but I still have 90 links from 16 sites, just like before. Why the increase?

(I'm not complaining or anything. :) Just curious about what other factors are used in determining rank.) I'm hanging there with you, Nancy. In fact, we're closer than I'd think possible.

I was in the 400,000 range a week ago. I just checked and the figures now read: Rank: 194,159 (18 links from 16 blogs).

Hmm, seems like 194,159 is a very popular rank..

JulieB
08-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Today I'm at 118, 238. That's quite a surprise.

nancy02664
08-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Hmm, seems like 194,159 is a very popular rank..
Ha! I guess so. :) We should start a club open only to people with blogs (simultaneously!) ranked #194,159 at Technorati.

Bayou Bill
08-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Ha! I guess so. :) We should start a club open only to people with blogs (simultaneously!) ranked #194,159 at Technorati.Sounds good. I hereby elect you El Presidenta Numero Uno Supremo of, The 194,159 Society. Congratulations.

Serenity
08-11-2006, 06:18 AM
I don't even want to know... 'cause I'd bet good money that my blog is dead last of whatever is out there. :tongue

ChaosTitan
08-11-2006, 07:14 AM
You need to expose yourself, Serenity!

Um, you know what I mean....

Technorati tracks how many times you are linked to from other blogs. It's another way to judge your traffic, and it's something you sign up for and add to your blog template. It's pretty easy.

Also, post several times a week, add a link to your sig line so we know where to find you, join the next round of the blog chain (plug! plug!). :tongue

Alan Yee
08-11-2006, 07:49 AM
I haven't posted on my blog for a while. I am however, working on a long kick-a$$ blog about PublishAmerica, filled with rants and links and everything. It will definitely be worth the wait.

I haven't registered with Technorati yet, though. I don't post often enough for it to be of any use.

KellyC
08-11-2006, 07:36 PM
I just broke under 4,000 (The AW Blogroll and AW Blog chain pushed the last few spots)

Rank: 3,923 (738 links from 463 blogs) (http://www.technorati.com/search/kellycurtis.blogspot.com)

L M Ashton
08-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I am however, working on a long kick-a$$ blog about PublishAmerica, filled with rants and links and everything. More shorter posts is generally better than fewer longer posts. It might also be part of the reason you're procrastinating. :) Think about the sections that would be in the post and consider posting them by the section instead, then provide links from one post to the next.

Or not. It's really up to you. It's just a suggestion. :)

Kelly, congrats!

Alan Yee
08-12-2006, 03:56 AM
More shorter posts is generally better than fewer longer posts. It might also be part of the reason you're procrastinating. :) Think about the sections that would be in the post and consider posting them by the section instead, then provide links from one post to the next.

Or not. It's really up to you. It's just a suggestion. :)

I think I'll post by sections. More manageable, and I'll be less likely to procastinate if I know I only have to post one section at a time, instead of this one frickin' huge post.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Simran
08-12-2006, 09:35 PM

bsolah
08-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Thanks to that ProBlogger assignment, my blog moved up over 1,000 places:

Bayou Bill
08-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Those blogrolls work like yeast on the rankings. .

8/1 -- over 400,000 (8 links from 8 blogs)
8/10 - 194,159 (18 links from 16 blogs).
8/19 - 164,236 (19 links from 17 blogs)

In the immortal words of the '60's rock group, Paul Revere and the Raiders, "Kicks just keep gettin' harder to find."

KellyC
08-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Congrats to bsolah - well done! Yes, I need to join in on more of the Problogger assignments.

And way to go Bayou Bill! Pretty cool, huh? Scroll back in this thread a ways and you'll see when I started at ground zero as well.

Bayou Bill
08-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Congrats to bsolah - well done! Yes, I need to join in on more of the Problogger assignments.

And way to go Bayou Bill! Pretty cool, huh? Scroll back in this thread a ways and you'll see when I started at ground zero as well.
There is a difference. Of course things will slow down a bit now, and that's okay with me. My blog is primarily there so I'll have a "presnence" on the 'net where I can post short stories and chapters. All I have on my web site is name, rank, and serial number type info, along with a link to my blog.

nancy02664
08-20-2006, 01:58 AM
Mine's up as well -- to 175,135 from 194,159. (Guess there's no more #194,159 Club, Bill. :))

I think it's partly due to the ProBlogger activity and partly due to my actually adding a proper blogroll. (I'd had other links up there for a while, but few of them were links to blogs.)

Slightly OT, but: Has anyone else had a problem with Technorati not being up-to-date? I've been pinging the crap out of them, but the site still claims I haven't updated my blog in over a month....

L M Ashton
08-20-2006, 03:47 AM
Technorati rank is really funny in some ways. Like it says my rank is 65,140 (109 links from 40 blogs), but then will show 120 links to my blog, including 6 (at least) new links from new to me sites since the last time it showed 40 blogs.

In other words, I don't think it knows how to count.

And another thing to consider - it doesn't count all links. It only counts links it recognizes. Even if it says it links from 40 blogs, you might actually have inbound links from 85.

And nancy, yes, it rarely, if ever, shows my blog up to date

DTKelly
08-20-2006, 04:55 AM
Talk about tech being funny.

Quid, I have the same rank as you (65,140) from only 79 links from 40 blogs.

Bayou Bill
08-20-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm going to throw a big challenge before this assemble mulititude. Would someone try to smarten me up about why there are usually more links than blogs?

Bayou "brickhead" Bill :cool:

bsolah
08-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Slightly OT, but: Has anyone else had a problem with Technorati not being up-to-date? I've been pinging the crap out of them, but the site still claims I haven't updated my blog in over a month....

Yeah, I've been having this problem for a while. I even sent them a support ticket asking what the problem was - no reply.

Would someone try to smarten me up about why there are usually more links than blogs?

Because maybe a blogger linked to you in a post, as well as on the blogroll.

L M Ashton
08-20-2006, 06:45 AM
Yup.

Like with the AW chain - I suggest to all participants that we post the complete chain at the beginning - which links to the main blog page - and then link again at the end with permalinks. If everyone does that, then right there, that's two links from the same blog. If you participate in 4 of the same chains I participate in, you might get a total of 8 links from me because of the chain. :)

Towerkel - the ranking, I believe, is based on number of blogs that link to you. The total number of links, I believe, is irrelevant.

spacejock2
08-20-2006, 06:47 AM

Mine's gone up 100,000 places since I last reported here, but then I've been blogging more often. And the Support Crew thing did wonders, as did the AW blog chain, although they were all links from posts rather than sidebars so I'd expect it to plummet in a few months time.

L M Ashton
08-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Hey, Simon, I finished the book and even gave it back to Fahim. :) It was a fun read. Thanks!

Bayou Bill
08-20-2006, 07:12 AM
Because maybe a blogger linked to you in a post, as well as on the blogroll.
Many thanks to you and quidscribis. I feel a bit less behind the curve now.

L M Ashton
08-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Technorati just caught up a bit. I'm now at #50,587 (128 links from 50 blogs).

Simran
08-22-2006, 06:03 AM
Mine went up too - Rank: 75,322 (71 links from 35 blogs)

L M Ashton
08-22-2006, 06:05 AM
And now... 49,661 (136 links from 51 blogs)

mdin
08-22-2006, 07:25 AM
Technorati is always a bit pissy and unreliable. It seems to update numbers when it feels like. Once it refused to update any of my posts for two weeks straight, and then *poof* they were there. I think the key is patience and not relying on it.

My current ranking: 18,849 (306 links from 125 blogs)

Chris Carlisle
08-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Technorati rankings can be deceiving. You can game your ranking by trading links, joining blogrings or blogger alliances, and participating in open trackback posts, but a well linked blog doesn't necessarily mean it is well read. My blog is currently ranked somewhere in the 37k range, but I still get a moderate amount of traffic/readers each day.

L M Ashton
08-24-2006, 04:46 AM
Welcome, Chris! :)

Yep, you're entirely right. Technorati doesn't include every link to your blog - it only includes sites that have already been recognized by Technorati. It's quite limited in that respect.

dreamflow
08-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Here's mine:
Rank: 4,448 (673 links from 439 blogs) (http://technorati.com/search/basangpanaginip.blogspot.com)

:)

I am also at the top 10 of Technorati’s Philippine Top 100 Blogs and top 10 Pinoy Top Blogs.

Pinoy Top Blogs ranks Philippine's blog unique hits traffic, and doesn't allow cheating.

Simran
08-28-2006, 08:12 AM

L M Ashton
08-28-2006, 08:30 AM
Technorati has some wonky stuff going on at the moment. The first four blogs it listed as linking to mine don't, in fact, link to mine, nor are they the type/content that actually likely ever would link to mine. And yes, I checked. No links to my site.

Oh well.

Bayou Bill
08-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Not unlike "The Little Engine That Could" my little blog keeps chugging up that six-figure mountain.

8/28 - 135,635 (23 links from 21 blogs)

8/19 - 164,236 (19 links from 17 blogs)

8/10 - 194,159 (18 links from 16 blogs).

8/01 - over 400,000 (8 links from 8 blogs)

Bayou "toot-toot" Bill :cool:

asorum
08-28-2006, 09:07 AM
My blog is doing much better. Rank: 181,513 (22 links from 16 sites).

Simran
08-30-2006, 04:58 PM

L M Ashton
08-30-2006, 05:05 PM

Still not as impressive as some, but getting better. :)

L M Ashton
08-30-2006, 05:20 PM
42,438 (299 links from 61 blogs) Updated 3 hours ago.

How many minutes later? *Shakes head* I wonder about them, sometimes. Amazing how I gain 130 links that quickly. Seriously. gotta make ya wonder.

nancy02664
08-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Mine is slowly sinking. It's a little depressing, but oh well: my traffic is on the up, so that makes me happy.

I know I could get a higher rank if I jumped on the blogroll bandwagon, but I don't know -- the whole idea of blogrolling seems a little disingenuous to me...

Marilyn Braun
08-30-2006, 10:49 PM
Geez, I'm not even remotely close to anyone else! My rank is 292,019 (15 links from 10 blogs). Oh well!

KellyC
09-01-2006, 04:01 AM
* URL: http://kellycurtis.blogspot.com
* Updated: 3 hours ago

Cool. Now in two hours it will go over 3,000 again. Seems I'm in a holding pattern.

But I'm switching to Wordpress soon, and then I get to start all over

Simran
09-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Everything Indian

robeiae
09-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Geez, I'm not even remotely close to anyone else! My rank is 292,019 (15 links from 10 blogs). Oh well!You're remotely close to me: 270,543 (34 from 11).:)

Simran
09-07-2006, 06:16 AM

asorum
09-08-2006, 06:42 PM

Marilyn Braun
09-08-2006, 10:39 PM
You're remotely close to me: 270,543 (34 from 11).:)

Marilyn watches the tumbleweed roll by

Ahhh...now I don't feel so alone :)

L M Ashton
09-10-2006, 03:55 PM

asorum
09-12-2006, 03:07 AM
I have seen some more improvement in the rating: Rank: 138,460 (29 links from 21 blogs) Quid's doing pretty good! It dropped some more in just a couple days - Rank: 119,752 (34 links from 24 blogs)

badducky
09-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Wow, still no links to my site at all.

That's okay. Tripod tells me I get a fair amount of pageviews for my triviality.

Simran
09-15-2006, 09:17 PM

L M Ashton
09-16-2006, 04:23 AM

asorum
09-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Slacker! More chocolate...

L M Ashton
09-16-2006, 06:58 AM
More chocolate? But you haven't sent me any... ;)

asorum
09-16-2006, 07:43 AM
More chocolate? But you haven't sent me any... ;)
I'm sure I did, must be the heat...

Bayou Bill
09-16-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm sure I did, must be the heat...I'll be glad to volunteer the C-ration, Hershey's Tropical Chocolate bars (aka John Wayne bars) I recently dredged up from the bottom of the duffel bag that came back from Vietnam with me. That was in 1969, so the always rock hard "treat" should now be impervious to any heat short of that produced by a laser beam or a thermonuclear device.

note: Just so I won't be accused of straying off topic:

Rank: 126,410 (26 links from 23 blogs) My blog seems to have found its place in the great scheme of things.

MacAllister
09-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Stones In the Field (http://macallisterstone.blogspot.com/)

I always forget to look at Technorati. Mostly I just go peek at who links to me--I've found some of the coolest blogs, that way.

Medievalist
09-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Digital Medievalist: Sc&#233;la (http://www.digitalmedievalist.com/news/)

IT: Instructional Technology (http://www.digitalmedievalist.com/it/)

Somebody should stop wasting time writing, and post more . . .

WriterUnboxed
09-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Writer Unboxed (http://www.technorati.com/search/writerunboxed.blogspot.com)

Rank 29,230 (214 links from 90 blogs)

BUT we just moved our site to WordPress last week (new link (http://writerunboxed.com)) and people haven't updated yet. So according to the new stats, we're much lower with only 8 links from 6 blogs.

I wish Technorati would find a way to carry links over, but they do have a pretty cool profile feature (http://www.technorati.com/profile/WriterUnboxed1).

jdkiggins
09-18-2006, 05:40 AM
WriteAfterDark (http://writeafterdarkblogs.blogspot.com/)

Rank: 176,302 (32 links from 17 blogs) Not very good from what I can see. ;)

I really need to get to work. Haven't posted since August.

subigo
09-18-2006, 08:05 AM
hmm let's see... I haven't checked it out in over a year.

http://technorati.com/search/www.subnixus.com

I used to be in the top 500 and then killed the site. Just started it back up a few days ago.

Simran
09-20-2006, 09:21 AM

Rank: 62,517 (100 links from 44 blogs) (http://www.technorati.com/search/everythingindian.blogspot.com)

Does this make any sense? The links go down, the blogs stay the same and the ranking goes up. :crazy:

Marilyn Braun
09-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I've gone DOWN! 11 links from 8 blogs! And the number is probably less than that because there are duplicate links as well, it counts the links from my other blog. :cry:

robeiae
09-20-2006, 08:39 PM
I've gone DOWN! 11 links from 8 blogs! And the number is probably less than that because there are duplicate links as well, it counts the links from my other blog. :cry:How bout a swap Marilyn? I'll link you right now and move you up a notch, okay? :)

herdon
09-20-2006, 08:52 PM
My Just Ask Dan blog is barely over a month old and I rank in the millions! I think it should be largest number is best personally ;)

If anyone wants to swap links, I have a link submission form you can get to at:

http://www.justaskdan.net/SubmitLink.php

Filling out the form won't put the link immediately on my list because I have to verify it first. I've gotten a couple of people that want to put links to "get rid of your cellulite" sites and stuff that I wouldn't give the thumbs up to. I just ask that you please return the favor. 8)

asorum
09-25-2006, 04:17 AM
Improvement. Rank: 119,752 (34 links from 24 blogs) to 116,306 (42 links from 25 blogs).
[It's at Rank: 107,400 (45 links from 27 blogs) as of 1 October]

Simran
09-26-2006, 07:11 PM
this is better : Rank: 62,879 (105 link from 44 blog) partially due to my friend Navin Kundra adding me to his new music site - http://blog.myspace.com/navinkundra :snoopy:

Thomma Lyn
09-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Doing much better these days, thank you. :)

Tennessee Text Wrestling

Talia
09-27-2006, 07:30 AM
Not very good...

Something for me to work on...

Simran
10-02-2006, 08:03 AM

asorum
10-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Kind of stuck, went from 107,000 to 108,000 and that's it.

Talia
10-08-2006, 06:15 AM
how does technorati compare with The Truth Laid Bear? Do you need to register at both?

rank 130,000...

Thomma Lyn
10-08-2006, 08:04 AM
how does technorati compare with The Truth Laid Bear? Do you need to register at both?

I registered at The Truth Laid Bear and added my blog, but I've never been able to claim it, so I'm unable to use TTLB in any meaningful way. When I search for my blog, it returns either "invalid search term" or no result at all, but when I try to add my blog it says (correctly) that I've already added it. Ai yi yi.

I don't know if it's some kind of bug on TTLB's end or if it's operator error; at any rate, I hope others have better luck with TTLB than I've had. :)

Edited to add: here's a nifty link that compares Technorati to TTLB (http://adamsweb.us/blog/index.php/a/2005/11/29/technorati_v_the_truth_laid_bear_ecosyst).

Talia
10-08-2006, 01:18 PM
Wonderful thanks for the link. Now that I've read it TTLB doesn't seem to be a significant player or especially relevant but I'll have a go at claiming my blog anyway :D

Thomma Lyn
10-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Wonderful thanks for the link. Now that I've read it TTLB doesn't seem to be a significant player or especially relevant but I'll have a go at claiming my blog anyway :D

You're welcome, and good luck with TTLB! I like the cute ecosystem names, LOL. :)

Talia
10-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Thanks!

I managed to claim my blogs by copying and pasting the exact names. I didn't see my animal name though - I'll have to check that out ;)

asorum
10-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Is anyone having trouble signing on to Technorati?

Talia
10-09-2006, 09:47 AM
no problems getting in
but it is hopelessly out of date. i checked FAQ and it is a known fault. on the front page it says 23 blogs link to mine but when you go into the detail, i have 86 blogs linking to mine. ah well!!!

asorum
10-10-2006, 04:16 AM
The process to be listed with The Truth Laid Bear isn't too clear. I added the counter, script for The Truth Laid Bear on my page, and added the site to their database. I still can't claim it, it doesn't show up in the search. Any hints out there?

Thomma Lyn
10-10-2006, 04:48 AM
The process to be listed with The Truth Laid Bear isn't too clear. I added the counter, script for The Truth Laid Bear on my page, and added the site to their database. I still can't claim it, it doesn't show up in the search. Any hints out there?

No hints, but plenty of commiseration. That's exactly where I am with TTLB: I added the script to my blog, added my blog to their database, but I can't claim my blog because it won't show up in the search. ACK! :Hammer:

Talia
10-10-2006, 05:55 AM
i had no trouble claiming mine but i haven't put the script on my page

however the bad news is that i claimed them a couple of days ago, it said ok but they are not appearing in "my blogs" section. i'll give it a couple more days and see if they appear

my "hint" such as it is is to copy and paste the exact name of your blog from the title within the blogging software. you have to have both the full name of the blog and the url exactly right. kind of annoying. also it doesn't ask you for your blogger password so in reality anyone could claim it with those details.

maybe it is the blogging software. i use blogger - what do you use asorum/pellegrina?

Thomma Lyn
10-10-2006, 06:28 AM
my "hint" such as it is is to copy and paste the exact name of your blog from the title within the blogging software. you have to have both the full name of the blog and the url exactly right. kind of annoying. also it doesn't ask you for your blogger password so in reality anyone could claim it with those details.

maybe it is the blogging software. i use blogger - what do you use asorum/pellegrina?

I use Blogger. Interesting about the copy/paste from within the title in the software -- when I attempted to search, I just typed in the name of my blog. And here's what's probably a stupid question: when you do the search, what the heck do you type into the search box? The blog name, the URL, or both of them somehow?

Thanks a bunch for the help! :)

Talia
10-10-2006, 06:33 AM
you're welcome

it doesn't work from the search box - at least not consistently. the search box seems to be for topics or keywords/tags. i did find one box where i put in the url and it came up and told me who had linked to it but i never found that box again. honestly that site looks really pretty but is not especially user friendly

You have to join up first. Did you do that?

and then they send you a confirmation email which you click. Once you have that sign in and then go to add blogs and you have to fill in 2 separate boxes with the url and the full title. that was tricky for me as mine is hyphenated 'Resources for Emotional Well-Being'. I copied the full title from the blogger dashboard and finally it worked. not sure about case sensitivity but it was a royal pain in the neck. also, as i said it told me my 2 blogs were added but 2 days later they don't seem to be there. grumble grumble

Thomma Lyn
10-10-2006, 07:05 AM
You have to join up first. Did you do that?

Sure did.

and then they send you a confirmation email which you click. Once you have that sign in and then go to add blogs and you have to fill in 2 separate boxes with the url and the full title. that was tricky for me as mine is hyphenated 'Resources for Emotional Well-Being'. I copied the full title from the blogger dashboard and finally it worked. not sure about case sensitivity but it was a royal pain in the neck. also, as i said it told me my 2 blogs were added but 2 days later they don't seem to be there. grumble grumble

TTLB is fussy, isn't it? I saved that confirmation email, so I'll bring it up and see what I can do. The case sensitivity is a funny thing: I noticed that with the userid when I first signed up. My original username had mixed case, but TTLB converted it all to lower case, then I couldn't sign in again until I figured out what it had done. Arrrgh!

Good luck finding out where TTLB put your blogs, and I'll see what I can do about claiming mine. Definitely what you said: TTLB is pretty, but I wouldn't call it particularly user-friendly.

Thanks again! :)

Talia
10-10-2006, 07:16 AM
always welcome. i figured you did join first but it always pays to check lol

we can compare notes and see if we can solve it, if not we might start a separate thread on TTLB.

Thomma Lyn
10-10-2006, 07:37 AM
always welcome. i figured you did join first but it always pays to check lol

You bet! :) As funky as TTLB seems to be, it would be easy to do things in the wrong order.

we can compare notes and see if we can solve it, if not we might start a separate thread on TTLB.

That's a good idea! I'm game.

Talia
10-11-2006, 03:37 AM
latest update...

UGH! - I went to "my blogs" and there is still nothing listed, despite claiming the blogs 3 days ago. So I tried to claim them again and got told Error: Weblog URL is a duplicate of an existing weblog. I guess it's still processing??? Who knows. I've decded to stop wasting time on it. VERY frustrated

Thomma Lyn
10-11-2006, 03:57 AM
UGH! - I went to "my blogs" and there is still nothing listed, despite claiming the blogs 3 days ago. So I tried to claim them again and got told Error: Weblog URL is a duplicate of an existing weblog. I guess it's still processing??? Who knows. I've decded to stop wasting time on it. VERY frustrated

I don't blame you -- I got aggravated with it, too. Since I couldn't claim my blog, I thought, okay -- maybe there was a glitch when I added it, so I tried to add it again. When I did, I got the same error you cited: "Error: Weblog URL is a duplicate of an existing weblog."

Then I thought, okay -- let's go through the ecosystem categories and see if my blog is in one of them. Nope. Nada.

Then I had the bright idea to search for blogs with "Tennessee" in the name and see if mine popped up. It didn't. So one would think it isn't in the TTLB database, right? Except according to the error message when I try to re-add, it's supposedly "already there." It just can't be found.

Arrrrrrgh!

Simran
10-12-2006, 05:33 AM

asorum
10-12-2006, 05:53 AM
I don't blame you -- I got aggravated with it, too. Since I couldn't claim my blog, I thought, okay -- maybe there was a glitch when I added it, so I tried to add it again. When I did, I got the same error you cited: "Error: Weblog URL is a duplicate of an existing weblog."

Then I thought, okay -- let's go through the ecosystem categories and see if my blog is in one of them. Nope. Nada.

Then I had the bright idea to search for blogs with "Tennessee" in the name and see if mine popped up. It didn't. So one would think it isn't in the TTLB database, right? Except according to the error message when I try to re-add, it's supposedly "already there." It just can't be found.

Arrrrrrgh!

Ditto. I gave up and took their script off my blog.
--
Just checked my Technorai Rank: 94,903 (64 links from 31 blogs) Better!

mdin
10-12-2006, 06:54 AM
My rank is evil Rank: 8,529 (666 links from 283 blogs). (http://www.technorati.com/search/shiveredsky.blogspot.com)

[/URL][URL="http://technorati.com/weblog/2006/10/127.html"] (http://technorati.com/weblog/2006/10/127.html)

Talia
10-12-2006, 07:06 AM
evil???

my rank is 18,286 :)

Thomma Lyn
10-12-2006, 07:59 AM
My rank is evil Rank: 8,529 (666 links from 283 blogs). (http://www.technorati.com/search/shiveredsky.blogspot.com)

666 -- the Ranking of the Blog Beast! ;)

Mine:

Tennessee Text Wrestling

Talia
10-12-2006, 11:13 AM
too slow today rofl!!! thanks pellegrina

funny story. i worked for a telecoms co that was in a building on 666 of the street no. and we used to get demented people writing to us telling us it was proof that we were the devil :D can you believe the nutters out there? that was the first i knew 666 was the sign of the devil. unlucky in chinese numerology too i think?

bsolah
10-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Ok, I haven't been on in a little bit and haven't posted for just over two weeks. Work's sucking my soul and my technorati rank's gone down about 2,000 places.

Talia
10-23-2006, 02:49 PM
tried TTLB again. My blog still isn't appearing on my list. i am officially abandoning it. grrrr

Thomma Lyn
10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
tried TTLB again. My blog still isn't appearing on my list. i am officially abandoning it. grrrr

Bleh, I don't blame you. I've given up on it, too.

asorum
10-23-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm now at Rank: 84,834 (74 links from 32 blogs)

DTKelly
10-23-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm still sitting at 51,942 (130 links from 51 sites).

Simran
10-27-2006, 02:12 AM

Talia
10-27-2006, 02:41 AM
a little over 8,000 :)

DTNg
10-27-2006, 04:17 AM

Simran
10-29-2006, 08:05 AM

spacejock2
10-30-2006, 07:30 PM

My blog is still moving slowly upwards. The higher you get the slower it moves, though.

http://www.technorati.com/blogs/http://halspacejock.blogspot.com

Rashenbo
10-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Heheh, you guys have some great ranks! :) Mine is at a powerful rank of 858,703

It's not a month old yet though so maybe in a couple of months it'll move up the ranks. But I'm not quite as concerned about it. I just like to blog!

Talia
10-31-2006, 01:58 PM
I have quite a high ranking but I'm not convinced it's important ;)

Suzanne Stroh
11-05-2006, 07:48 AM
Hello all, interesting convo thanks v much. Some in-depth analysis and tips for bloggers appears in Ellen Ratner's new book "Ready, Set, Talk!" It''s a down to earth, how-to guide written by a White House correspondent for the Talk Radio News (radio) network. The blog and podcast chapters are there to support people whose ultimate aims are to get their non-fiction message out on talk radio, but it's worth picking up.

The big numbers I'm hearing lately from Internet analysts are these. Only six percent of people who go online read blogs. Yet that traffic controls nearly ALL advertising dollars spent on the Internet. When you rearead those two sentences and think about it, it's just mindbending.

Having said that, Jen Hollowell's comments about harried editors ring so true, so sadly true to life as I see it.

So do the other comments about freshness of content.

No answers, only good conversation! Thanks again.

bsolah
11-05-2006, 08:01 AM
My rank has dropped, though it seems I've gained more links from more places since I last checked. It might be the fact that I've barely blogged lately and people are gaining links too, just more than me.

Rank: 18,311 (272 links from 161 blogs) (http://technorati.com/search/www.benjaminsolah.com%2Fblog)

Rashenbo
11-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Well, The nablo has been good for me. I'm up to 214,487..... heheheh

WestofMars
11-11-2006, 01:45 AM
I'm having a problem in that I KNOW there are more blogs linking to me, but Technorati's not picking them up. Anyone know anything about this?

(btw, I'm still in six-figure rankings, too, but am still ahead of my bud Rashembo. Whew.)

Rashenbo
11-11-2006, 02:36 AM
HEHEHE :) I don't think you are on my link list... I'm gonna add ya Sue and check technorati... see how long it takes to show you listed on my site.

Fantasy9
11-11-2006, 04:58 AM
Technorati DOES update its blog-link stats every now and then, but from what I've seen, this can take up to 2 weeks.

Talia
11-11-2006, 07:52 AM
if you read the FAQ on technorati you will see there are often delays. it can take sevral weeks for all the links to update

WestofMars
11-11-2006, 07:57 AM
I did read the FAQ -- because I wound up having to send them a whatchamacallit to get them to ping me! But it's still more like months, rather than weeks, for the others.

Rash, I'm seeing you on my end. You're on my link list now, too. What took us so long????

karenmary
11-11-2006, 08:21 AM
I created my writer's blog with iWeb and can't seem to get Technorati and it to work together. That's a story for another day. Anyone using iWeb and Technorati together, PM me, would ya?

Meanwhile, the new blog I started, my totally meaningful, information for breast cancer survivors blog? Ranked 1,379,593. You guys going to tell me it'll get better or am I doomed, doomed, doomed to a horrible rating?

KML

askeladd
11-11-2006, 08:26 AM
My stats:

Whether that's good, bad, or indifferent, I have no idea. My blog's almost a couple of years old, but hitherto I haven't devoted the time to it as I originally had envisioned.

Rashenbo
11-11-2006, 09:03 AM
I did read the FAQ -- because I wound up having to send them a whatchamacallit to get them to ping me! But it's still more like months, rather than weeks, for the others.

Rash, I'm seeing you on my end. You're on my link list now, too. What took us so long????

Well... you see... I'm lazy. :)

And I just have you in my favorites and not actually in a link list anywhere... or I'd be really lazy and just open up one of the comments I know you commented on... and click your profile name :D

WestofMars
11-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Well... you see... I'm lazy. :)

And I just have you in my favorites and not actually in a link list anywhere... or I'd be really lazy and just open up one of the comments I know you commented on... and click your profile name :D

Well, let's fix that (or did you?)!

Technorati WAS seeing you two days ago and it upped my rank to 109,---. Today, it's not seeing you and a bunch of others and has dumped my rank to 122,---

Karen, it DOES get better. Just keep plugging.

Talia
12-06-2006, 05:24 AM
I've nearly broken through to the top 5,000!!!

Centre for Emotional Well-Being (http://taliamana.blogspot.com/)Rank: 5,064 (758 links from 484 blogs)

JulieB
12-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Just wanted to report that Technorati has indentified a bug that was causing it to not index some blogs. My own blog was hit by the bug and dropped nearly a million places in the last month. Today I noticed it was back up to about where it had been.

I don't live and die by Technorati rank, but it was frustrating because it wasn't picking up some of my blog updates, but it was picking up updates to blogs that link to me. Yeesh.

Anyway, if you've noticed funny stuff going on, chances are it'll be fixed shortly.

WestofMars
12-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks, Julie. I take rankings with a grain of salt these days.

bsolah
12-09-2006, 03:23 AM
Thanks for the info Julie. I rarely get hits from technorati nowadays because it doesn't seem to register my ping right away, and then when it does, I'm on the second page of results.

Talia
12-09-2006, 03:57 AM
thanks julie. i wondered what was happening. i noticed that they were no incoming links even though i knew several people had linked to me.

asorum
12-09-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm at Rank: 79,199 (96 links from 42 blogs) now.

HapiSofi
12-10-2006, 06:29 AM
It would embarrass me to cite my Technorati rating. It would also be a dumb thing for me to do, because I post here pseudonymously.

Technorati is not reliable. Neither is BlogPulse (http://www.blogpulse.com) or IceRocket (http://blogs.icerocket.com). Same goes for Trackbacks. If you've got a stat counter that keeps track of referrer sites, looking at it to see whether you're suddenly getting a lot of hits from one URL can sometimes be your best way to find out who's recently written about you.

I seriously doubt that Technorati and other popularity-rating sites are good for your soul. For several years now, I've been giving them up for Lent.

Medievalist
12-10-2006, 06:43 AM
I seriously doubt that Technorati and other popularity-rating sites are good for your soul. For several years now, I've been giving them up for Lent.

Given your sig, shoudn't that be "giving them up for lint"?

And yeah, pretty much everything but raw logs is a bogus or potentially bogus indicator.

Talia
12-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Given your sig, shoudn't that be "giving them up for lint"?

hehehe that is sooooo funny

thanks for your advice sofi and lisa. now that i've read your comments i think i'll stop worrying about technorati ranking. especially as you can "cheat" with blogrolls which aren't indicative of real readership...

for a while there i was getting obsessed with rising in the rankings thinking it would lead to higher search engine rankings ie traffic.

HapiSofi
12-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Technorati and its ilk are useful for seeing what kind of reactions your weblog is getting, but fretting about your rank is a waste of your attention span. If you want to have a popular and successful weblog, pay attention to your writing and your readers. Be interesting, amusing, useful, frequent, and above all responsive. One day you'll look up and find your reader stats are five miles past anything you'd imagined possible. And when that happens...? You smile, say "Gosh!", and go back to paying attention to your writing and your readers.

Medievalist
12-10-2006, 07:45 AM
The key to success in blogging is having content, that is, having something to say that readers will find worth their time to read.

That's the secret. It leads to high search rankings, repeat readers, and, with an astute blogger and comments, a community of readers.

Talia
12-10-2006, 08:04 AM
thanks again

i'm definitely getting better at this whole blogging thing. i'm blogging more regularly, linking to other blogs and reading the feeds from problogger to pick up tips. i've been working on getting my keywords in the titles and the first few lines to help SEO and i've even had one of my entries picked up by reuters, which was exciting!

i have a small number of readers who get daily email feeds, not sure about other readers. is there a way to tell how many people are getting feeds direct to their reader?

my next project is to get my forum active but right now i'm enjoying blogging. when i first started i was only interested in using it to establish a library of articles but now i'm enjoying finding news to comment on and visiting all the other great blogs

HapiSofi
12-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Reading other people's weblogs and websites is a great way to get them to read yours.

Talia
12-11-2006, 02:17 AM
i think that only works if you are reading small blogs. i can't imagine a blogger with a lot of readers (e.g. miss snark) would head on over to my blog, although some of her other readers may follow the links from my comments to my blog.

promoting forums is a whole other kettle of fish. people seem reluctant to start new threads

bsolah
12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
promoting forums is a whole other kettle of fish. people seem reluctant to start new threads

Agreed. I've had a forum for a while, and it's dead. Sometimes I'll get a member that comes along replies to all the threads (that I had to start) and after a little bit of debate, moves on a never comes back.

Talia
12-11-2006, 02:33 PM
bsolah - are you interested in doing reciprocal forum comments? If we feel comfortable with each others topics we could reply to some of the existing threads and add a couple of others just to get things moving. Sort of like the blog comment chain. Maybe agree to reply to 8 posts and start 2 more, or something like that. Get a bit of activity going and a fresh voice?

Forums need discussion and new content - darn hard!!!

bsolah
12-11-2006, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I'd be glad to do that. If we can exchange links via PM or email*, I can pop over and do some posting tonight. For me, it'd be cool if you had a go at my flash fiction challenge where I've posted some prompts.

###

Also, I've come up with another cool idea. Got a popular blog, but your forum's dead?

How about starting a topic for discussion on your blog, closing the comments and leave a link to a new topic on your forum. If it's interesting enough, and you have a decent readership, people will be glad to head over - and they might stay and make themselves at home. Just a thought. I might try it myself in conjunction with my 'Ask an author' (http://www.benjaminsolah.com/blog/?cat=39) feature.

* I say this because I think there's a rule against plugging forums on the Water Cooler.

Talia
12-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I hadn't thought about closing comments on my blog - interesting idea. I have sometimes posted something at the end of my blog entry: discuss this at xxx. no takers so far lol

ok will email/pm you

JulieB
12-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Robert Scoble has an interesting article on driving traffic to your blog:

http://scobleizer.com/2006/12/07/help-a-san-jose-mercury-news-columnist-blog/

Talia
12-12-2006, 12:57 AM
That was a great article - thanks! I enjoyed it, he made his points in a humorous way
"Get Shelley Powers to link to you. She has more traffic than a dog has fleas. "

I'll be adding Scoble to my newsreader

Talia
12-12-2006, 01:38 AM
Also, I've come up with another cool idea. Got a popular blog, but your forum's dead?

How about starting a topic for discussion on your blog, closing the comments and leave a link to a new topic on your forum. If it's interesting enough, and you have a decent readership, people will be glad to head over - and they might stay and make themselves at home. Just a thought.

* I say this because I think there's a rule against plugging forums on the Water Cooler.

I think that's only competing forums - which may apply to you as your forum relates to writing, but mine is on emotional well-being. The only possible area of overlap is the section on writing anxiety. Other than that it is a totally different subject

I decided to take your advice on mentioning the forum. I used to do that automatically at the bottom of all my posts but now my blog has navig buttons at the top so people can click to the forum if interested so I stopped doing it. However I have amended my post on male depression to provide a link to the depression part of my forum.

This morning I added a post on eating and provided a link to the emotional eating part of my forum

However, I haven't closed comments. We'll see if it works!

bsolah
12-12-2006, 03:19 AM
Well, I posted, closed comments and diverted the impending conversation to a new forum topic I created.

But I've had no comments whatsoever. Perhaps, it's the fact that my traffic has been severely down lately because I've been working and cannot comment on other blogs, surf traffic exchanges etc.

Also, it may not work because I think blogs and forums are different - and so are their users. Bloggers are able to show and help out other bloggers, because it doesn't take long to read a post a comment. However, forum posting, and being part of a forum community is a lot harder because the user would find it difficult to share their time between a number of forums, certainly more so than with blogs. Of course, I'm a member of maybe 6 forums that I visit regularly. It's like you said, we're competing.

Talia
12-12-2006, 05:06 AM
I agree there can be different audiences. Also some people get blog feeds on readers and don't actually visit the blog.

However I am getting a lot of people visiting my blogs who are not regular blog readers so the forums may be more familiar for them

I'll visit your forum again tonight bsolah!

p.s. I posted some more discussion threads and polls on my website - appreciate it if you can pop in and visit again and complete the new polls

bsolah
12-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Yeah, I have your forum bookmarked, so I'll see if I can pop in regularly.

Talia
12-12-2006, 07:21 AM
Cool!

elizajane202
12-13-2006, 03:30 PM
56,128 (143 links from 59 blogs)<-- This is what I got for www.homemom3.blogspot.com (http://www.homemom3.blogspot.com)

<LI class=cosmos>Rank: 263,348 (20 links from 14 blogs) (http://technorati.com/search/holidaymom.blogspot.com) <LI class=cosmos>http://holidaymom.blogspot.com (http://holidaymom.blogspot.com) (this is a new blog about things to do during the holidays)
www.entertainusnews.blogspot.com (http://www.entertainusnews.blogspot.com) (celeb gossip site)
rank: 411,488 (21 links from 9 blogs) (http://technorati.com/search/entertainusnews.blogspot.com) (http://technorati.com/weblog/2006/10/127.html)

Keep in mind this can also mean more google hits, which bring in money. The more popular your blog the easier it is to get clicks.

bsolah
03-14-2007, 03:33 PM
I rarely get hits from technorati nowadays because it doesn't seem to register my ping right away, and then when it does, I'm on the second page of results.

Well, it seems I've fixed that. I think it may have had something to do with my clock being wrong on wordpress....my fault after all.

:flag:

Georganna Hancock
03-15-2007, 02:53 AM

Now what?

Talia
03-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, it seems I've fixed that. I think it may have had something to do with my clock being wrong on wordpress....my fault after all.

:flag:

I don't think it is your fault. Technorati links were shockingly slow for ages. Now they seem to come up almost immediately.

LindaHewitt
10-07-2007, 07:24 PM
What do I need to do to find out what the Technorati ranking is for various websites?

Thanks,

Linda

Leva
10-08-2007, 12:00 AM
i think that only works if you are reading small blogs. i can't imagine a blogger with a lot of readers (e.g. miss snark) would head on over to my blog, although some of her other readers may follow the links from my comments to my blog.

You know, don't assume that the "big name sites" won't pay attention to you. If you're a good writer, you may well be surprised at the attention you get.

On my site, Melissa Wilson's article about fandom charity was linked to by Whedonesque today. She also got linked to by Kevin Smith last month. And Dan got Farked yesterday. (Hi, Dan!) And I've been linked to by Cnet.

If you can write well, it does not take long for the "big name" sites in your area of interest to find you. Being funny and snarky does help, though.

For the record, Firefox News's Technorati rank is around 7600 -- we were in the six digits several months ago.

-- Leva

Edit to add -- and the site survived being Farked. Happy happy joy joy.

valeenc
10-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Erm, for those of us who are not savvy, what is this Farked? Does it hurt much? *blink*

bsolah
10-08-2007, 03:35 AM
On a seamingly unrelated note, my rank is currently at 63,488, which I think is a significant drop from the last time I checked.

Leva
10-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Erm, for those of us who are not savvy, what is this Farked? Does it hurt much? *blink*

Fark.com, sorry. It's a humor site that mocks the news. It's been around forever.

I'm guesstimating it sent around 2,000 hits, which is actually low for Fark. Google Analytics (and Adsense, and everything else Google-related) is having issues this week, though, so it's hard to tell for sure yet.

asorum
10-09-2007, 01:57 AM
A View From the Waterfront
http://www.harboradvice.com/blogger.html
Authority: 21

MitchJ
10-09-2007, 05:39 AM
I just added mine. I'm ranked 2,580,321. Holy crap! :eek:

Tales from the Cellar

http://talesfromthecellar.silentgraywolf.com/

veinglory
10-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Where do you find the rank? I look and just see authority.

bsolah
10-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Click on your blog title and it will take you to your blogs technorati profile page in which there's the rank.

Bayou Bill
10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Where do you find the rank? I look and just see authority.
What, bsolah said.

My rank: 876,360 (which for me, ain't bad)

valeenc
10-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Yesterday it was 189K+. I'm movin' on up!

:banana:

DraperJC
10-13-2007, 07:35 PM
Authority 69 (down from a high of 84)

Rank 104,933

rejectME
10-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I just joined yesterday and my authority is 19 with a rank of 437,000, neither of which are probably very good, but better than my non-existent Alexa rating or my non-existent Google page rank. The latter may change when and if Google ever does an update. But then again, all this stuff confuses me so...

DraperJC
10-14-2007, 06:26 PM
It is pretty neat when you finally come up on the first page of a Google search. I'm like number 4 or 5 when you Google my name, Jeff Draper.