The Beauty of a Pen Name

Book Chic

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings fellow writers!

This is just a tip that I recently began to follow when submitting journalism pieces. I find that when I submit with a pen name, it hits further home that I am not being "rejected." My writing is just not right for that particular magazine. I know this sounds simplistic and elementary to some. But as an author who was rejected many times before my first book was published, it's easy to start taking things personal.

However, when I submit to magazines under a pen name, I'm able to remove myself from the process for a bit. Sometimes you need that mental trick to help you to get going and get published!

Random thought, but hey, it might work for someone! :)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Pseudonyms are for pieces you sell. You should always have your real name everywhere except on the byline of the manuscript. Agents and editors need to know who they're dealing with, It's a very bad idea to submit under a pseudonym, and then, if a piece is accepted, say, "My real name is. . ."

oceansoul

Registered
Reaction score
Since my first manuscript got accepted, I've been including that I write as Julia Ember in the paragraph about other publications, but I always sign the document with my real name. You'll have to divulge it anyway in order to get paid / sign a legally binding contract.

I don't think it would affect me different psycologically either way. I know the writing was done by me, no matter what name I choose to publish it under. Luckily, I'm pretty tough about rejections and don't take it all too personally anyway.