Took a big girl step and now holding my breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenndoss

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my MG novel and have submitted it to quite a few agents. My heart pounds each time I check and recheck that I have the correct agent's name on my query, have followed the submission guidelines to a T, and then, as I push the send button I can hardly breathe. Through the process of writing and beginning submissions, I have discovered that I want to be a published author more than anything else I have ever dreamed of (other than being a wife and mother).
I am excited and hopeful and nervous and sick to my stomach when I start thinking about it. What if it's not good enough? What if they never even read it because my query letter isn't intriguing enough? What if they do love it? So far, I have gotten back a bunch of rejection emails. Then I rewrote my query letter and now have one request for a full. That means I am on the right track, I hope. She described my character as incredibly engaging and authentic. I pray that the rest of my book continues to live up to that high praise. I know that a request for a full means little, but it is a step. I am holding my breath and trying to be patient as I await her final decision on the full MS.
But this is a big step for me, I am proud of the fact that I finished my book. I edited the heck out of it. I sent it out to betas to get critiqued. And now I have sent it to agents. No matter what, I am so proud of myself and am trying to not get discouraged with this part of the process. Thanks for all the help here, on the three lines thread, the first 200 words thread and the plethora of information posted on here to help get me to this point.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am proud of you, too. That's a lot of milestones passed already and now and agent's requested a full. Woo hoo! :partyguy:

That definitely calls for a celebration. Sending good thoughts your way. :)

Yesplease

Registered
Reaction score
So exciting! I'm currently revising a MG and hoping to query by the end of the year. Would you share more about what your book is about?

Best of luck to you!

Yesplease

Registered
Reaction score
Also, how did you find your beta readers?

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's so exciting!! I'm curious to hear more details about the book and the steps you took getting to this point. It's a huge accomplishment! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jelly. ;) Best of luck on the full read!!

Writers Choice

Registered
Reaction score
Jenndoss -

That is fantastic!! You have accomplished something that way too many people think about doing yet never had the nerve or the will power to do. I really hope you are not the statistic but the exception and get a contract!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I self pubbed my first set of short stories last week and had zero - I repeat, zero buyers. I put it on free promotional and 32 people downloaded it. Neither Amazon nor I have made any money off of it. I admit, I am quite depressed that not even the KU readers were interested in downloading; but it was a great learning experience. I spent a great deal of money in editing/proofing but at least kdp hasn't charge me anything.

I share your frustration. I have several other novels/novellas/short stories/etc. that I'm having second thought about publishing. You give everything you have, keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Fantastic news!!! It takes a lot to press send, as its takes a HUGE leap to finish a novel. Some of the smallest steps take the biggest breaths from you! But it's worth it. Good luck!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.