Quick Spanish Translation: Verdadero

LauraJay

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious how to put together two words in Spanish. Using google translation for the word "real" used as an adjective, I'm getting "[noun] de verdad" for some nouns and "[noun] verdadero" for others. The word I want modified is "apu," a kind of deity or spirit in Incan culture. If it makes a difference, this is not part of a larger sentence. The Spanish part of the dialogue is only "apu verdadero," to indicate the speaker believes that a place has an actual protective spirit, and not something made up for tourists.

This is the only full sentence he speaks in Spanish, if there's anything glaringly wrong with it. I have a pretty limited understanding of the language. "Usted necesita un cuy negro." (Cuy here meaning a guinea pig. He's supposed to be saying "You need a black guinea pig," to another character.)

Thanks in advance if anyone can confirm/correct these snippets!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
"verdadero" literally would mean something like "truth-wielder" or "truth-holder" or "truth-sayer", methinks. But there could be a colloquial connotation involved.

caw

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Both "verdadero" and "de verdad" can be used for "True (noun)". "Verdadero" is more formal while "de verdad" is more casual.

SamanthaLau

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lausamantha.wordpress.com
Well, as a Spanish speaker I would normally say "Apu existe" (literally: Apu exists) if I'm trying to say a person, deity, or otherwise incorporeal being or thing is real. Or just go with "Apu es real" (apu is real).
Verdadero just means truth/true, as in "true or false" (not the only usage, but I would not normally use it in a sentence saying something is verdadero).

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I've seen it used in the context of "genuine" in the early music my group sings. "A true friend" = "verdadero amigo." Usages change over the centuries, though.