Acorn TV (Brit shows for US & Canada)

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I heard about Acorn TV. Wow - I may never leave my house, heck, my sofa again!

https://signup.acorn.tv

For $5 a month I could get access to a large group of British TV shows, many of which I've never heard of but look good. I could watch on my iPad, or if I get Apple TV, on the TV set.

Who needs to go work? TV all day!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can also buy episodes of certain shows from Acorn on YouTube.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Doc Martin - I totally lurved it! :)

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Helix said:
There's some good Australian stuff among those too.
Is one of them "A Place Called Home"

After 20 years in Europe, nurse Sarah Adams is returning to Australia to see her grieving mother. When her hopes for reconciliation go awry, Sarah contacts George Bligh, whose mother she had nursed on the transoceanic trip, for employment. His mother, however, has other ideas.

Check out Doc Martin - I totally lurved it! :)

Oh me too! And it hasn't come back to my PBS channel here. Not sure if it's going to. I think I got up through season ... 6. I think I saw the last one of that, but it aired quite a while ago, and it doesn't seem as if there are any more soon.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Is one of them "A Place Called Home"

After 20 years in Europe, nurse Sarah Adams is returning to Australia to see her grieving mother. When her hopes for reconciliation go awry, Sarah contacts George Bligh, whose mother she had nursed on the transoceanic trip, for employment. His mother, however, has other ideas.

I haven't seen that one, but it got fairly good reviews.

Just went through the list and the ones I could spot are:

Jack Irish (adapted from the Peter Temple novels, good cast, including Guy Pearce and Aaron Pedersen)
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (Kerry Greenwood novels)
The Slap (original version)
Serangoon Road (haven't seen it, but it's got Don Hany in it.)
Mr and Mrs Murder (Shaun Micallef)
The Code
Cloudstreet
Kath & Kim (might not translate well)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
We had Kath & Kim here for a series a few years back. And I liked it but ... no, it didn't translate too well.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Detectorists is another one that might not translate. It's one of those that when you know about it, you love it. It's pretty popular with those who regularly watch BBC 4. But the humour is very English.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RE: Doc Martin - I think I got up through season ... 6. I think I saw the last one of that, but it aired quite a while ago, and it doesn't seem as if there are any more soon.
I didn't want it to ever end, and I recently learned that it hasn't (at least not yet) - I've already pre-ordered the Season 7 DVD :hooray:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's very funny and has two great actors in the lead roles - Mackenzie Crook and Toby Jones

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, they have Cloudstreet.

Doc Martin is on Netflix or Hulu too.

I just started watching tubi tv, which is a free streaming thing (it has some commercial breaks, like Hulu -- fewer than in regular tv and with fewer ads in each break, like two ads and like three breaks a show I think) you can access on a computer, device, tv if it's smart or hooked up to a console or thing... it's not got a ton of stuff, and a lot is older, but it's got a bunch of British and Aussie documentaries and reality programming, including (I'm so excited) -- Edwardian Farm and Pioneer Quest, british reality deals in which people were sent to live for months on very faithful recreations of historical settings.

I've wanted to see those for ages; they're like the PBS House series (Frontier House, Manor House, etc.) but BBC. Tubi doesn't ask for a cc or anything.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Just browsing their list of programmes - the Agatha Christie adaptations are all very good, as is Rebus. Black Books and Father Ted are required viewing.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I just started watching tubi tv, which is a free streaming thing (it has some commercial breaks, like Hulu -- fewer than in regular tv and with fewer ads in each break, like two ads and like three breaks a show I think) you can access on a computer, device, tv if it's smart or hooked up to a console or thing... it's not got a ton of stuff, and a lot is older, but it's got a bunch of British and Aussie documentaries and reality programming, including (I'm so excited) -- Edwardian Farm and Pioneer Quest, british reality deals in which people were sent to live for months on very faithful recreations of historical settings.

I've wanted to see those for ages; they're like the PBS House series (Frontier House, Manor House, etc.) but BBC. Tubi doesn't ask for a cc or anything.

Looks interesting - thanks for the link!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Add Grantchester and Prime Suspect:Tennison to your BBC/PBS "must-see" list. :Thumbs:

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
When I happened to tune in to "Doc Martin" for the first time, he was busy verbally abusing a young girl. I flicked off the telly and have never watched that show again.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just watched the Grantchester finale - It was lovely...

I was quite surprised at the Vicar's final decision. :Thumbs:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I gave my wife a sub for Christmas last year, she LOVES it. We're considering BritBox as well, there looks to be surprisingly little overlap... and BB has *all* the classic Doctor Who, 1-7!

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was quite surprised at the Vicar's final decision. :Thumbs:

I think he was too!

New on Acorn this summer: Hamish Macbeth. One of my all-time favorite shows -- beautiful highlands scenery, adorable young Robert Carlyle, a big cast of (mostly) lovable eccentrics, and cute little dogs. :snoopy: