American Horror Story: Hotel

Vertle

Registered
Reaction score
One of my absolute favourite TV series, seen all four of the previous seasons and enjoyed the dark themes and characters. After having viewed the first episode of the fifth season, have to admit that it hasn't pulled me in as much as usual. The hotel is as creepy and disgusting as expected only I've found that there's not really a strong story yet and none of the characters have really established their personalities. Admittedly, this is the first episode and few first episodes have the strength to get you invested into the entire series but all of the other first episodes of AHS were fascinating, at least establishing one or two characters that I already began to care about. What does anyone else feel about this series so far?

P.S. And you can definitely tell that Ryan Murphy has a type! THREE of the male characters are practically identical. All dark haired, dark eyed, square jawed white men with the same haircut. He could have easily had made the series more diverse, if not the characters looking at least a little bit different.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I'm kind of hoping the fact Wes, Cheyenne and Matt (they're my dear friends, of course!) are almost identical has some relevance to plot. What I liked best about the premiere was the (not subtle, cos Murphy don't play that!) homage to the Hunger.

Vertle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of hoping the fact Wes, Cheyenne and Matt (they're my dear friends, of course!) are almost identical has some relevance to plot. What I liked best about the premiere was the (not subtle, cos Murphy don't play that!) homage to the Hunger.

Oh that would be good. I would forgive the similarity if it was because of that. I think that Lady Gaga's character will be my favourite of this series. Discovering her backstory is probably what has got me the most interested.