How would YOU entertain two 1-year-olds and two 5-month-olds for 8 hours each day?

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
I'm stumped.

There's a lot I want to do--different sensory/fine motor art projects (sponge painting, paint with a rolling marble in a shoe box, cork painting, homemade "moon sand," shaving cream, etc.), nature walks (collect leaves, pretty rocks, blades of grass), GOING OUTSIDE (which the kids currently NEVER do, and it is honestly driving me insane because I love the outdoors, and sitting in a curtained room with kids for hours on end is actually my nightmare), but I'm also scared because I'm uncertain about the resources available and also what to do with the teeny babies while the 1yos are engaging in more active activities. I either need to hold the babies or stick them in a stroller and hope I time everything well enough so that they don't need a changing, feeding, or cry while I'm busier with the older kids. There is USUALLY one other teacher, but not always.

Their toys suck.

What can I do with limited resources (I do have paper, paint, crayons, and basics, mostly) and that might allow me to also keep an eye on the very little ones? I'd like something simple, like put beans inside of two glued-at-the-edges paper plates so the kids can shake it. But I need about 100 of those ideas because I have 8 hours to fill and that will only keep them occupied for 5 minutes. Help. Anything that was a giant hit with any toddler you know?

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
I think you can take them outside if the two little ones can stay in the stroller, perhaps with toys, while you look after the toddlers. Is there a time of day the babies are most placid? I'd try it then. And yeah, the babies might cry and you'll have to abort the whole thing, but you can at least try. And if you're looking after 4 little ones, they need to wait their turns. That means one or more will sometimes cry while you finish attending to another one. It won't kill them.

Can you do water play at all? Put a few inches of water in a basin, throw some cups and toys in, and put it in an area where it's not a disaster if the floor gets wet? The toddlers will get wet, but maybe they could wear raincoats? Many toddlers seem to have a long attention span for filling cups with water and pouring it out, perhaps because they are discouraged from doing so in all other areas of life.

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
Right. So far the issue has been that no one can go outside if anyone is sleeping (since I need to keep an eye on the sleeping baby), and there is a lot of not-in-sync napping. The little ones are so little that if they're crying longterm they really do either need to be held or put in their nap pens. Otherwise they will fling themselves out of whatever seat they're in. What kills me is that there is a GIANT, BEAUTIFUL beach and age-appropriate play structure a FIVE MINUTE WALK AWAY. We just need to get out the door . . . It is so frustrating to be inside a windowless room while there's so many fun and beautiful things outside, for me and the kids. You're right, I've worked/played with kids before, and they very much need a water table, play dough time, swings, sensory boxes, etc. etc. etc. Normal worn-out toys in a room don't do much long-term.

I think you can take them outside if the two little ones can stay in the stroller, perhaps with toys, while you look after the toddlers. Is there a time of day the babies are most placid? I'd try it then. And yeah, the babies might cry and you'll have to abort the whole thing, but you can at least try. And if you're looking after 4 little ones, they need to wait their turns. That means one or more will sometimes cry while you finish attending to another one. It won't kill them.

Can you do water play at all? Put a few inches of water in a basin, throw some cups and toys in, and put it in an area where it's not a disaster if the floor gets wet? The toddlers will get wet, but maybe they could wear raincoats? Many toddlers seem to have a long attention span for filling cups with water and pouring it out, perhaps because they are discouraged from doing so in all other areas of life.

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! It's interesting to read through, though there are some VERY SPECIFIC materials. I'll see what I can scrounge up. Also I'm a horrible teacher and person and like when things are fun for ME, and so much of this is slowly rolling a ball. I guess that's what the paycheck is for.

I would add some indoor gross motor activities. Hope you have some swings and bouncy chairs and stuff.

Here's a resource: http://www.earlychildhood.msstate.edu/resources/motoractivities/pdfs/infant-toddler.pdf

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
One year old is still very small...I assume they're on the "closer to two" end of the spectrum if they're both mobile, but they're not likely fully independent walkers yet. In the sense that bumps in the landscape can still catch them up, etc. So I'm with Lianna about looking for a time when the babies are likely to wind up napping. Even if they're not quite in sync, fresh air is the best sleeping potion for babies I ever found. :D Then you can keep a closer eye on the toddlers. They're going to fall--natural part of learning--but you'll want to be able to assist if needed.

I think every toddler I ever knew (and raised) found the all-important "Box" the best toy ever. Maybe put some things in it for the toddlers to take out and put back, but they will find whatever fun they want. Getting in, turning it over, whatever. A cardboard box is best since it's lightweight and the kids can't really hurt themselves or each other while playing with or around it. If you are in a home situation, tupperware (or whatever plastic bowls, containers are available), pie tins and mixing spoons are good (if loud) fun.

I'd be careful with the beans inside of paper plates unless you want to fish them out of nostrils and ear holes. I can almost guarantee one of the toddlers will figure out how to get at them, despite your best efforts.

Caring for 4 kids under 2 sounds utterly exhausting! Good luck to you, Fee Fee. :D

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Benadryl.

Right. So far the issue has been that no one can go outside if anyone is sleeping (since I need to keep an eye on the sleeping baby), and there is a lot of not-in-sync napping. The little ones are so little that if they're crying longterm they really do either need to be held or put in their nap pens. Otherwise they will fling themselves out of whatever seat they're in. What kills me is that there is a GIANT, BEAUTIFUL beach and age-appropriate play structure a FIVE MINUTE WALK AWAY. We just need to get out the door . . . It is so frustrating to be inside a windowless room while there's so many fun and beautiful things outside, for me and the kids. You're right, I've worked/played with kids before, and they very much need a water table, play dough time, swings, sensory boxes, etc. etc. etc. Normal worn-out toys in a room don't do much long-term.

The oldest are only one, right? There's only so much they'll do, or for long, that's organized and structured regardless. I mean if you take a single one-year-old outside to go on a nature walk you're just as likely to be derailed by the kid crying, giving up, trying to eat something weird and melting down, needing to be changed, etc., etc.

I mean you could try keeping them engaged perpetually with 10 minutes of squeezy sensory things, then 10 minutes of X, then Y, then Z, but you'll probably be better off chucking a big box on the floor and reading a magazine until they get irked, then turn on some music, etc.

I don't understand why you can't go out when the babies are sleeping though. That's what strollers are for.

Thank you! It's interesting to read through, though there are some VERY SPECIFIC materials. I'll see what I can scrounge up. Also I'm a horrible teacher and person and like when things are fun for ME, and so much of this is slowly rolling a ball. I guess that's what the paycheck is for.

There's no way all day with that many kids that small is going to be fun for you. They're just tiring and irritating and frustrating. Stuff might be fun for a few, but that's just a dire slog, whether you like kids or not.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Big cardboard box. Trust me, kids love them and if you turn it over and cut a hole in one side it's a house. And a hideyhole. Whatever else it becomes is up to the kids.

Put a sheet over two chairs to make a tent.

And give them some 'alone' time. Don't leave them alone, obviously, but let them play by themselves with something. Don't hover. It's good training for when they're older.

But then, with 4 of them, I expect you are doing the latter! :D

FeeFee

Registered
Reaction score
ElaineA – Unfortunately they’re not closer to 2. The 16mo is a good walker and can either help push the stroller or walk holding hands outside. The 14mo just learned to walk this week (hurray!), but 90% of the time he’s too nervous and can only inch himself along while holding onto something, which means he needs to either be carried or in a stroller.

I’m going to see if I can get my hands on this big box. Yesterday they had a large play tube to crawl through, and the oldest one was terrified of it. Thank you! I shouldn’t take all the credit and clarify that there is another teacher with me for half the time.

Cornflake – I like your teaching style! As silly as it can seem long term for this age group, I am supposed to engage the kids in play and learning, never watch from a distance (aka I always find something to organize or set up instead because I don’t want to sit on the floor for 8 hours with them).

You’re right with the babies. I think the current policy is in place because usually the babies fall asleep, get put in the nap pen, then the older kids are fed, changed, whatever. So it would be a wake-up risk to try to transfer the babies from the pens to the strollers (maybe not? I’m not super adept at strapping everyone in yet).

Mirandashell – I wish I were in a house. This is all in a daycare, and it’s honestly like trying to entertain 4 babies in a small, crappy studio apartment. I’ll see what I can find. They’re supposed to be learning fine motor skills, and I’m supposed to be practicing conscious discipline, but . . . some of the tasks (circle time! Singing time!) are better off replaced with learning play and better toys for them (such as Montessori jobs and dramatic play scarves, boxes, water table, art areas, etc.) rather than random little plastic toys that entertain them for all of one minute.

I’m compulsive about the room staying clean, so, yes, they definitely get independent play time.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm all for engaging and learning, but they're just not equipped to spend eight hours doing it. There are also plenty of non-structured ways, even besides independent play, to do it. Chuck a mess of toys and random crap on the floor, get yourself a chair, and say 'bring me the bag,' 'bring me the blue whatever,' 'put all the toys in the box,' etc. Count the crap out loud, play fetch with them (toss the crap and have them retrieve). Look, colours, shapes, gross motor skills, fine motor skills (picking up), yada yada.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Children of that age don't really need to be taught to play. It comes naturally, doesn't it?