Should I be expecting a response?

J.S.Fairey

Registered
Reaction score
Hello :)

Just a quick question:

I submitted a book to a number of agents a while back. A couple cited a 4 week response time. It's now been 6. I know that's not particularly late yet, but I'm just wondering whether I should be expecting a response at all, or just move on?

The first Agency's submission guidelines state that I should receive:

'A response to let you know whether we are interested in taking things further'.

This makes me think I should be expecting a response, one way or another? And so shouldn't give up until I get one?

The other states:

'We endeavour to reply to all submissions within four weeks, but during seasonal busy periods we may take longer.'

Obviously, this tells me I should hang on longer, since they're barely past that target deadline. But should I be expecting a response? Or would that reply only be to projects they're planning on taking further?

Thanks very much :)

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Was this a query or a manuscript? Either way, you might not get a response, unfortunately. Check QueryTracker for that agent/agency to see when they respond (and if they respond). I wouldn't nudge on a query, but I would nudge on a manuscript at the three to four month mark.

From what you've said about these agencies, I would recommend just waiting. Unless there's something specific like, "If you haven't received a response in four weeks, please resend your query."

noveler7

Registered
Reaction score
I know a lot of agents don't respond if they're not interested, even if they say they try to. A nature of the beast I guess. They only have so much time to deal with so many submissions, and don't get paid unless they sell something. Plus, if you already expect no response, you can't be disappointed :tongue

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but the first response you quoted sounds to me like, "If we are interested in seeing more, we will contact you," which basically means a NRMN (No Response Means No). The other one sounds like they do reply whether they are interested or not, so you'll have to wait on that one, but if you don't hear anything after 3 months, I would say you could probably follow up with a check-in email.

In the meantime, keep querying and GOOD LUCK!

ajbla

Registered
Reaction score
I actually sat down with my submissions to agents record and counted. Thirty-nine agents were contacted, and nineteen never responded. So, you may or may not hear from them again.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to check Querytracker.net

The site will tell you whether you have been passed over, forgotten, still in the queue or that particular agent just does not respond.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Always double stated reported time. Anything can delay an agent for months. Double the time they say they'll report, and then move on. Either way, don't worry about it. If it's good news, you will hear back. If it's bad news, what does it matter? Keep writing and keep submitting. This is what matters.