PDA

View Full Version : Have I Been Spoiled by the DVD/Streaming Era?

NateSean
10-14-2015, 07:06 PM
I missed an episode of Minority Report, so now I'm physically and emotionally incapable of watching the rest of the series until I can watch it in it's entirety. It's fine, because I have no problem waiting until it's out on DVD, or until I can stream the series at my leisure, but certain people in my circle think I'm insane because of this.

Anyone else suffer from this affliction?

Cyia
10-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Wait a week and watch it on Hulu, then you're caught up.

EMaree
10-14-2015, 07:36 PM
Because you won't just skip an episode? Nah, that's not spoiled, that just means you care about the story. I grew up long before streaming but I would only skip around if I didn't care much for a show (or it was airing out of order *shakes fist at every anime broadcaster ever*). If it was a show I was invested in, I'd ask around to find someone who'd video-taped the episode, or watch it in reruns at the weekend, or tape the re-run if it was at stupid o'clock.

Reruns aren't as common these days, but I do occasionally make use of friends with Sky+ (TiVo) to catch up on missed cable shows.

kuwisdelu
10-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Wait a week and watch it on Hulu, then you're caught up.

This.

(or it was airing out of order *shakes fist at every anime broadcaster ever*)

I thought only Haruhi did that.

NateSean
10-15-2015, 12:22 AM
Nah, that's not spoiled, that just means you care about the story.

See, that's exactly what I tell people. It's one thing with shows that have a reset button, like Midsommer Murders, or Father Brown. But I get invested in characters as much as the big flashy special effects and I'm an unabashed story-line whore.

LittlePinto
10-15-2015, 03:17 AM
I'm the same way. If the series depends on continuity and characters then I want to watch the episodes in order so that I can enjoy the unfolding of the story. If the episodes are largely self-contained then I can watch them out of order (to some extent) and be content. I've been this way before streaming.

EMaree
10-15-2015, 01:38 PM
I was watching the latest Agents of SHIELD series last night, and nearly loaded up episode 3 instead of unwatched episode 2. Felt so relieved I didn't -- episode 3 starts with one of those awful 'PREVIOUSLY ON THE LAST EPISODE, HERE'S EVERY SINGLE BIG PLOT TWIST VERY QUICKLY' intros that would have wrecked my enjoyment of ep 2 in all of five seconds.

We're a pretty spoiler-sensitive household, really. My partner doesn't even like watching movie trailers or next episode trailers because they give away too many of the twists and big reveals. He'd have been miserable re-watching a spoiled episode 2, whereas I can get through it because they never spoil the smaller character moments, which I looove. I even like (most) trailers, especially if the movie is months and months away, it gives me something to look forward to -- but I am getting crotchety about modern trailers. They all seem to be moving away from teasers and intrigued and giving away SO MUCH of the story, sometimes I watch a trailer and no longer feel inclined to watch the movie anymore.

These days one of my biggest pleasures is watching a show that was hugely popular and loved at the time, but entirely passed me by. I don't have to worry about spoilers because the show's been out too long for people to still be focused on it, and I can speed through it on Netflix and experience every twist and turn.

mccardey
10-15-2015, 01:56 PM
Television is changing. I know this, because I'm an Old Person - and even so, the only way I want to watch the high level TV stuff I want to watch now is when it's available for binge-watching. Binge-watching is a wonderful thing.

ETA: goes off to binge-watch The Secret State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_State_(miniseries))

NateSean
10-15-2015, 10:17 PM
If the episodes are largely self-contained then I can watch them out of order (to some extent) and be content. I've been this way before streaming.

Same here. I don't know if it was Pirates of Dark Water or Sailor Moon, but I became aware of what TVtropes refers to as Continuity Lockout at a young age, before it was possible to watch entire shows on Youtube.

The funny thing is, I watched Buffy out of sequence a lot of the time because cable wasn't always a constant thing in my life. So when we had it, I would record a bunch of episodes of a show like Buffy or Power Rangers, and that was the only way I watched any show for the longest time. But then I remember when they started releasing shows on DVD, I actually began to lose interest in TV, because I told myself that it would be worth waiting.

eyeblink
10-15-2015, 10:27 PM
Television is changing. I know this, because I'm an Old Person - and even so, the only way I want to watch the high level TV stuff I want to watch now is when it's available for binge-watching. Binge-watching is a wonderful thing.

ETA: goes off to binge-watch The Secret State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_State_(miniseries))

I am also an old person. I was around when colour TV arrived in the UK (1967) but too young to remember it - and besides, most people didn't get colour sets until the 70s. I can still picture my Dad walking up the path holding our first colour TV, in 1973.

Video cassette recorders didn't arrive until the late 70s. Video tape recorders were around in the 60s but were very expensive, so tended to be rich men's toys, and I didn't know anyone who had them, but they have proven a source of programmes which have otherwise been lost from the archives. We got ours in 1984 - my Dad wouldn't have one as no programme was that important, but then Mum started an Open University degree so it was a choice of buying a VCR or being woken up at five in the morning when OU broadcasted. Before then, for everyone I knew, you watched the programme at the time or not at all, unless there was a repeat - and in the 70s repeats tended to be once only within two years, due to the agreements with the actors' union.

I don't have Sky or Netflix, so TV shows that aren't on Freeview channels I tend to rent on DVD or Blu-ray. At the moment I'm nearly halfway through the third series of Underbelly via Amazon Instant Video.

NateSean
10-15-2015, 10:34 PM
I was around when colour TV arrived in the UK (1967) but too young to remember it - .

My grandfather bought the first color set in his neighborhood just so the family could see the Moon landing.