PDA

View Full Version : Going to be a tricky summer in Australia...

mccardey
10-12-2015, 09:53 AM
given that it's only mid-Spring and they're already expecting us to do the funnel-web-spider-milking thing... (http://www.smh.com.au/environment/nsw-reminded-to-help-catch-funnel-web-spiders-to-help-with-antivenom-stocks-20151010-gk5wbj.html)

Helix
10-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Eek! I'm glad we're not expected to do That Sort of Thing up here.

Meanwhile, in Queensland, the cops are trained in snake handling (http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/wynnum/2015/10/12/getting-snakey-alexandra-hills-shopping-centre/).

Wye Pen
10-12-2015, 12:49 PM
given that it's only mid-Spring and they're already expecting us to do the funnel-web-spider-milking thing... (http://www.smh.com.au/environment/nsw-reminded-to-help-catch-funnel-web-spiders-to-help-with-antivenom-stocks-20151010-gk5wbj.html)

Thanks for linking me to the spider close up photos just waht i needed today.

And since when you milk a male???

Wye Pen
10-12-2015, 12:56 PM

Meanwhile, in Queensland, the cops are trained in snake handling (http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/wynnum/2015/10/12/getting-snakey-alexandra-hills-shopping-centre/).

Thats a copper website in yeour reference Helix ;)

And look at all those photos of people going on and on

Whats the neighborhood watch about. Is it some thhig like 'stand yer ground' in America?

Helix
10-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Thats a copper website in yeour reference Helix ;)

And look at all those photos of people going on and on

Whats the neighborhood watch about. Is it some thhig like 'stand yer ground' in America?

It's quite benign. Just people watching out for and reporting local crime. No weapons and/or vigilantes involved, thank goodness!

mccardey
10-12-2015, 01:25 PM

And since when you milk a male???

Sorry - I thought it was pretty clear that the link would take you to funnel-webs. (Not to real funnel-webs - just to pictures.)

ETA: The males are milked for venom....

mirandashell
10-12-2015, 08:25 PM

What else would you expect from a link about funnel-web spiders?

regdog
10-12-2015, 09:29 PM
You can't pay me enough to click those links.

heza
10-12-2015, 11:40 PM
The video made the catching process look much simpler than I imagine I would make it look.

I wonder what they do with those 300 spiders after milking them....

mccardey
10-13-2015, 12:49 AM
I wonder what they do with those 300 spiders after milking them.... I believe they send them off to a farm to live with all the other funnel-webs - either that, or out to the country to lurk under toilet seats. :evil (That used to be quite a Thing, out in the country. Nothing like a walk in the dark to an outdoor loo, with a torch to check for funnel-webs. Ah, memories...)

Wye Pen
10-13-2015, 03:52 PM
What else would you expect from a link about funnel-web spiders?

tiny little little wee spidies :)

Wye Pen
10-13-2015, 03:59 PM

You may be wrong Queensland alert over giant funnel-web sightings
(http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-alert-over-giant-funnel-web-sightings/story-e6freoof-1225794850537)
(old news but )

Wye Pen
10-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Sorry - I thought it was pretty clear that the link would take you to funnel-webs. (Not to real funnel-webs - just to pictures.)

ETA: The males are milked for venom....

Whether you live in the mountains like mccardey or at the beaches like me you really ought to prepare yourselves for these….looky looky mccardey ;) Other dangerous Australian creatures (http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/other-dangerous-australian-creatures-20120927-26n8d.html)

Wye Pen
10-13-2015, 04:10 PM
It's quite benign. Just people watching out for and reporting local crime. No weapons and/or vigilantes involved, thank goodness!

But bycommon (English) law you are allowed to make a citizen arrest. And it'd be much more successful those arrests if you Queenslanders and more generally the whole island continent of Down Under adopt American way in respect to the Second Amendment (if the USC).

It is so cool the right to keep and bear arms!

Helix
10-13-2015, 04:18 PM
You may be wrong Queensland alert over giant funnel-web sightings
(http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-alert-over-giant-funnel-web-sightings/story-e6freoof-1225794850537)
(old news but )

Brisbane is a long, long way south of me. I don't recall any records of hexathelids where I am, but there are theraphosids. I'd much rather take my chances with the latter.

- - - Updated - - -

But bycommon (English) law you are allowed to make a citizen arrest. And it'd be much more successful those arrests if you Queenslanders and more generally the whole island continent of Down Under adopt American way in respect to the Second Amendment (if the USC).

It is so cool the right to keep and bear arms!

Now you're trolling.

jjdebenedictis
10-14-2015, 12:49 AM

It is so cool the right to keep and bear arms!Australia sharply curtailed gun ownership after suffering the largest mass shooting in the world (still hasn't been topped).

So it's not like you're opening their eyes to something they've never tried before. They tried it and didn't like it.

Wye Pen
10-15-2015, 02:06 PM
Australia sharply curtailed gun ownership after suffering the largest mass shooting in the world (still hasn't been topped).

So it's not like you're opening their eyes to something they've never tried before. They tried it and didn't like it.

Surely, that was not the reason for enacting this ignorant gun bill. No, You've been misinformed, jjdebenedictis. It was never about people or what they like or dislike.
You can not (must not) impose sever punishment on and take away the basic human rights of the whole confederation of 20 something million people because a lone psychopath went on a shooting spree.

Agree?

mccardey
10-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Surely, that was not the reason for enacting this ignorant gun bill. No, You've been misinformed, jjdebenedictis. It was never about people or what they like or dislike.
You can not (must not) impose sever punishment on and take away the basic human rights of the whole confederation of 20 something million people because a lone psychopath went on a shooting spree.

Agree?

I don't get your point. What severe punishment? What ignorant gun bill? What basic human rights?

I begin to think you're not Australian, Jywile. Ammirite?

Wye Pen
10-15-2015, 02:25 PM
I am an English gentleman. But I plan to move to Australia soon.

Captcha
10-15-2015, 02:59 PM
I am an English gentleman. But I plan to move to Australia soon.

So when you wrote about living "at the beaches like me" you meant the British beaches?

Helix
10-15-2015, 04:31 PM
So when you wrote about living "at the beaches like me" you meant the British beaches?

And the English right to own a gun?

I mean, outside Midsomer Norton.

poetinahat
10-15-2015, 04:41 PM
Soooo, how 'bout those Wallabies

Helix
10-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Soooo, how 'bout those Wallabies

:Trophy::Trophy:

I might be smileying too soon.

poetinahat
10-15-2015, 05:30 PM
They're looking very, very good. There is a lot of danger left in the brackets - but not from England...

jjdebenedictis
10-15-2015, 10:25 PM

Agree?Nope. Don't agree.

More children were shot in the USA last year than police officers were. Nobody needs a gun on their nightstand anymore than they need cocaine in their medicine cabinet.

mirandashell
10-15-2015, 11:14 PM
because a lone psychopath went on a shooting spree.

If you're talking about a lone psycopath in Britain, then hell yeah. The tighter the gun laws get the better. If you want a gun, I want to know you have a damn good reason for it. If you have a gun without a licence, you're a crim. And that's the way it should be.

And I'm finding it hard to believe you are serious. Or British. The vast majority of us like our gun laws just the way they are, thank you very much.

Helix
10-16-2015, 01:38 AM
Meanwhile, much closer to home, the toothed water hazard at Port Douglas golf course (http://www.cairnspost.com.au/celebrity-croc-at-port-douglas-golf-course-caught-by-rangers/story-fnnjfpar-1227569472966) has been removed.

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 02:11 AM
I'm reading Les Murray on the train, as we pass over the Harbour Bridge. The Opera House jags the skyline: teeth of an infinite Croc, up at last from dreaming, as golfers up the Coast rattle bony clubs.

Helix
10-16-2015, 02:20 AM
I'm reading Les Murray on the train, as we pass over the Harbour Bridge. The Opera House shells look like they could be the teeth of a Croczilla, up at last from dreaming.

This needs to be a novel.

mirandashell
10-16-2015, 02:21 AM
They said that croc is going to a zoo.... are they never released into a remote wild area? Or has even Australia run out of remote areas?

Helix
10-16-2015, 02:42 AM
They said that croc is going to a zoo.... are they never released into a remote wild area? Or has even Australia run out of remote areas?

It's easier, safer and cheaper to take them to zoos/croc farms than it is to ferry them off to a remote area, but one of the main issues with relocating large crocs is that they are highly mobile, so might well return to the original spot.

Having said that, I think a croc was once released near non-remoteTownsville and ended up basking on Magnetic Island. (I might have misremembered that, so I'd better check.)

ETA: Here's the story (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/national/death-of-a-croc-in-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time/2008/11/07/1225561135975.html). It was a monumental cock up and rather sad for the croc.

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 02:53 AM
That's dreadful. Poor croc.

Helix
10-16-2015, 03:01 AM
That's dreadful. Poor croc.

Indeed. Everyone was pissed off. Quite a lot of people were on the side of the crocodile; no one was on the side of the government.

Haggis
10-16-2015, 03:08 AM
Mod Note:

So...this is the Office Party, right, Jywle? A place where we party, and engage in all kinds of frivolity, except for politics, religion, and politics. If you feel the need to continue to comment about Australian gun laws, I'd suggest you try your luck in P&CE, a place whose mods must now intensely dislike me for even suggesting it.

shakeysix
10-16-2015, 03:09 AM
Since grade school I have dreamed of visiting Australia. Those spiders have pretty much scotched that dream. --s6

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 03:28 AM
Thanks, Haggis. You'll note that the people who actually live in Australia are giving the gun bait all the attention it deserves. :greenie

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 03:35 AM
Since grade school I have dreamed of visiting Australia. Those spiders have pretty much scotched that dream. --s6
Aw, that'd be like not going to New York City because of rattlesnakes! They're not -quite- everywhere... come on over!

Captcha
10-16-2015, 03:44 AM
I feel like Australian wildlife is just one extreme or the other - either the cutest creatures ever or the most evil and deadly things ever.

Has the continent not heard of moderation?!?

mccardey
10-16-2015, 03:50 AM
First blowfly! It's late, but it's here, beating a tattoo on the window.

Layla Nahar
10-16-2015, 04:03 AM
I CAME HERE FOR THE SPIDERS AND YOU"RE TALKING ABOUT GUN CONTROL??!!!

oh. I missed it when Haggis stepped in. The spider girl is pretty cute.

Haggis
10-16-2015, 04:19 AM
Aw, that'd be like not going to New York City because of rattlesnakes! They're not -quite- everywhere... come on over!
Are you kidding? All y'all have boomerangs there.

I CAME HERE FOR THE SPIDERS AND YOU"RE TALKING ABOUT GUN CONTROL??!!!

oh. I missed it when Haggis stepped in. The spider girl is pretty cute.

Not any more, we're not.

Wye Pen
10-16-2015, 04:25 AM
Mod Note:

So...this is the Office Party, right, Jywle? A place where we party, and engage in all kinds of frivolity, except for politics, religion, and politics. If you feel the need to continue to comment about Australian gun laws, I'd suggest you try your luck in P&CE, a place whose mods must now intensely dislike me for even suggesting it.

Helix started it.

I appreciate your wisdom and sound advice and your being regarded as the senex of these savage lands and this thread posters' pontificating therefore I am more than obliged to abide by your respectable counsel and prosecute it to the fullest.

Edit:

But the last time I lurked there (P &CE) they were talking about Texas dildos. Just saying.

Haggis
10-16-2015, 04:36 AM
Helix started it.

I appreciate your wisdom and sound advice and your being regarded as the senex of these savage lands and this thread posters' pontificating therefore I am more than obliged to abide by your respectable counsel and prosecute it to the fullest.

Edit:

But the last time I lurked there (P &CE) they were talking about Texas dildos. Just saying.

For the record, Texas dildos would be more appropriate for Office Party.

Let's get on with the thread, shall we?

Helix
10-16-2015, 05:02 AM
I feel like Australian wildlife is just one extreme or the other - either the cutest creatures ever or the most evil and deadly things ever.

Some of the wildlife combines the best of both. Y'all know that platypus have poison spurs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom#Spur_and_crural_gland)?

E.F.B.
10-16-2015, 05:04 AM
LOL, that reminds me of the Crocodile Hunter movie from back in 2002. It was sort of a running joke that a character wold say "There's nothing dangerous in Australia!" And then they'd cut directly to Steve Irwin holding up a deadly poison snake or spider or something. *sigh* I still miss that guy.

I've always wanted to go to Australia too, but yeah. Those spiders, man. *shivers*

E.F.B.
10-16-2015, 05:08 AM
Some of the wildlife combines the best of both. Y'all know that platypus have poison spurs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platypus_venom#Spur_and_crural_gland)?*sings* They're semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammals of action... https://youtu.be/ONgjXrOShlc

Sorry. I had to.

Helix
10-16-2015, 05:10 AM
*sings* They're semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammals of action... https://youtu.be/ONgjXrOShlc

Sorry. I had to.

Icing on the cake ---> it's not available for viewing in Australia!

E.F.B.
10-16-2015, 05:12 AM
Well crud. It was the Perry the Platypus theme song from the animated show "Phineas and Ferb". Just silliness is all.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-16-2015, 05:25 AM
Mod Note:

What my partner said, twice over.

Thank you all for your consideration... now, back to your regularly scheduled funnel webs...

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 05:28 AM
LOL, that reminds me of the Crocodile Hunter movie from back in 2002. It was sort of a running joke that a character wold say "There's nothing dangerous in Australia!" And then they'd cut directly to Steve Irwin holding up a deadly poison snake or spider or something. *sigh* I still miss that guy.

I've always wanted to go to Australia too, but yeah. Those spiders, man. *shivers*

"I've got a GUN!"

"Yeah, well I've got a donk."

"Huh... A what?!"

*CRACK*

"Thanks, Donk!"

mccardey
10-16-2015, 05:32 AM
America has bears. BEARS!! I'm just saying...

Albedo
10-16-2015, 05:37 AM
And squirrels! My Canadian cousins thought I was mad when I went nuts over a squirrel sitting on a bin.

mccardey
10-16-2015, 06:05 AM
And squirrels! My Canadian cousins thought I was mad when I went nuts over a squirrel sitting on a bin. Albedo, there's just no WAY squirrels are as scary as bears. Bears EAT people. Squirrels just grab their nuts...

Layla Nahar
10-16-2015, 06:07 AM
American Bears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB3XzIrvFHE

Layla Nahar
10-16-2015, 06:09 AM
(oh black bears don't eat people, mostly. They just want to have a good time. It's the grizzlies that you have to watch out for...) eta(brown bears are pretty scary too)

Albedo
10-16-2015, 06:10 AM
Albedo, there's just no WAY squirrels are as scary as bears. Bears EAT people. Squirrels just grab their nuts...

A single squirrel, sure. I could take on a single squirrel and win. It's when they swarm that they're dangerous.

Helix
10-16-2015, 06:14 AM
Squirrels are badder than you think.

Killer squirrels (http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/killer-squirrel-has-worlds-bushiest-tail)

cooeedownunder
10-16-2015, 06:21 AM
I believe they send them off to a farm to live with all the other funnel-webs - either that, or out to the country to lurk under toilet seats. :evil (That used to be quite a Thing, out in the country. Nothing like a walk in the dark to an outdoor loo, with a torch to check for funnel-webs. Ah, memories...)

My husband has always been a little annoyed that he was named after the old dunny, despite me telling him to - he was named after one of the Apostals. :D

jjdebenedictis
10-16-2015, 06:23 AM
America has bears. BEARS!! I'm just saying...Eh, a bear is just a big floppy sac with some claws. But bird-eating SPIDERS!!?! Now those are scary.

cooeedownunder
10-16-2015, 06:24 AM
America has bears. BEARS!! I'm just saying...

With you on that one ... thank God we only have Humpry B Bear :D

Helix
10-16-2015, 06:24 AM
My husband has always been a little annoyed that he was named after the old dunny, despite me telling him to - he was named after one of the Apostals. :D

Old Long Drop, who was oddly omitted from the Last Supper.

Helix
10-16-2015, 06:26 AM
Eh, a bear is just a big floppy sac with some claws. But bird-eating SPIDERS!!?! Now those are scary.

Snake-eating spiders (http://io9.com/5903588/this-photo-of-a-spider-eating-a-15-foot-long-will-burn-into-your-brain).

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 06:28 AM
Spiders are on our side. We hate flies; they eat flies. It's a pretty good arrangement.

Why no love for spiders? :Shrug:

There should be a Big Spider statue somewhere along the Gold Coast.

mccardey
10-16-2015, 06:31 AM
Spiders are on our side. We hate flies; they eat flies. It's a pretty good arrangement.

Why no love for spiders? :Shrug:

I love spiders. But in fairness, I should point out that Mortein is also on our side...

ETA: I don't use it myself because see first sentence.

jjdebenedictis
10-16-2015, 06:33 AM
Snake-eating spiders (http://io9.com/5903588/this-photo-of-a-spider-eating-a-15-foot-long-will-burn-into-your-brain).a;ljfdsffnvp!!! pprf!!

The Pacific ain't ocean enough to separate me from that.

Helix
10-16-2015, 06:37 AM

Dear heaven, there's a giant funnel web at Jamberoo (http://www.advertiserlaketimes.com.au/story/3359423/spider-is-a-big-hit/).

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 06:45 AM
Been on that!

Albedo
10-16-2015, 06:47 AM
Has anyone read this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0732908884/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1444963322&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=funnelweb&dpPl=1&dpID=41wcxQDnrjL&ref=plSrch)?

It's ... not high literature.

Helix
10-16-2015, 06:50 AM
Been on that!

I salute you!

Helix
10-16-2015, 06:52 AM
Has anyone read this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0732908884/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1444963322&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=funnelweb&dpPl=1&dpID=41wcxQDnrjL&ref=plSrch)?

It's ... not high literature.

No. But I want to now.

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 07:27 AM
I salute you!
You haven't even mentioned the jellyfish yet! Plus a big salute to the Cowboys!

Haggis
10-16-2015, 07:28 AM
You haven't even mentioned the jellyfish yet! Plus a big salute to the Cowboys!

You mean Aussies ride those things?

How do you get the bit in its mouth? How do you even find the mouth?

poetinahat
10-16-2015, 07:41 AM
:roll:

You know, we haven't discussed wolverines yet...

Haggis
10-16-2015, 07:45 AM

You know, we haven't discussed wolverines yet...

Talk to me after Saturday. We may have to have a stare down contest until the last game of the year.

jjdebenedictis
10-16-2015, 08:15 AM
You mean Aussies ride those things?

How do you get the bit in its mouth? How do you even find the mouth?You'd need a really good saddle or the phrase "saddle sore" wouldn't even start to cover the agony you'd be in.

Haggis
10-16-2015, 08:18 AM
You'd need a really good saddle or the phrase "saddle sore" wouldn't even start to cover the agony you'd be in.

Ew.

Silent Rob
10-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Well, they've got poetinahat, haven't they?

Helix
10-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Well, this isn't even close to covering everything (http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/pictures-that-prove-australia-is-the-craziest?bffb#.wmrlGkv6K). Ironically, Steve Irwin is holding an American alligator (#14).

mirandashell
10-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Ok... I got as far as the human leg with the box jellyfish scars and..... that was far enough, thank you!

Albedo
10-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Well, this isn't even close to covering everything (http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/pictures-that-prove-australia-is-the-craziest?bffb#.wmrlGkv6K). Ironically, Steve Irwin is holding an American alligator (#14).
A good list. However, I'd also offer the following crits:

1. Mole crickets are adorable, not an example of nature going horribly wrong,

2. Amoebic meningitis will get you no matter where you live. Brain-eating amoebas are in a water source near you. Whatever you do, don't fill your neti pot (https://www.google.com/search?q=neti+pot&safe=off&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDgQsARqFQoTCMXOyLjzxsgCFSJepgodYToEVw&biw=1366&bih=667) with tap water.

E.F.B.
10-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Ok... I got as far as the human leg with the box jellyfish scars and..... that was far enough, thank you!
Ikr? And you didn't even see the foot with the stone fish sting. Seriously, they put a "graphic" warning on the picture of a plane wing with a little snake blood on it and then show all these poor people with swollen, purple limbs with no graphic warning on them?? Whatever, Buzzfeed.

I may be about to reconsider wanting to go to Australia someday. Sooo... What's New Zealand like? Do they have all this stuff too?

Helix
10-16-2015, 05:27 PM
I may be about to reconsider wanting to go to Australia someday. Sooo... What's New Zealand like? Do they have all this stuff too?

They've got wetas (http://mentalfloss.com/article/64804/10-intense-facts-about-giant-weta) and murderous tree nettles (http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/document/9773/stinging-hairs-of-ongaonga).

Silent Rob
10-16-2015, 05:50 PM
On the plus side, they don't have drop bears!

E.F.B.
10-16-2015, 05:59 PM
I actually don't mind wetas so much. They're interesting and they can't jump, which means they can't jump on me.

Tree nettles don't seem much worse to me than poison ivy. You juse have to jnow what to look for and then avoid it, and I'm not one to go traipsing off-trail in a foreign country anyway.

Besides, New Zealand has Hobbiton. I'd brave just about anything if I could go there. :greenie

jjdebenedictis
10-17-2015, 12:08 AM
Well, this isn't even close to covering everything (http://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/pictures-that-prove-australia-is-the-craziest?bffb#.wmrlGkv6K). Ironically, Steve Irwin is holding an American alligator (#14).But they have flying foxes on there! Flying Foxes are beeeeoooooo-tiful. If you ever get a chance to go in the Bat House of the Singapore Night Zoo, I highly recommend it. (Although you do have to be able to deal with a zillion little grey bats zooming freely around your head. Australia is not the only place with its terrors.)

GailD
10-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Oh, dear God, why did I click on those links?

:scared:

Dr Raven said care should be taken to ensure spiders cannot climb on to beds by making certain bedding does not touch the floor or legs of beds. (Bold, mine.)

:scared::scared::scared:

You Auzzies are just loving this, aren't you?

If I visit Auz, I'm bringing my bed with me...

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh521/GailD2/tokoloshe-proof_zpsgiacj94r.jpg

It doubles as a Tokoloshe deterrent!

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikoloshe)

mccardey
10-19-2015, 10:31 AM
On the upside, we have ants. And ant-eating-echidnas. Echidnas are cool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ac9XE2Koxg)...

Helix
10-19-2015, 11:01 AM
You Auzzies are just loving this, aren't you?

We are! (Well, I am.)

If I visit Auz, I'm bringing my bed with me...

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh521/GailD2/tokoloshe-proof_zpsgiacj94r.jpg

It doubles as a Tokoloshe deterrent! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikoloshe)

And it works too. How many Tokoloshes have you seen sitting on your bed?

Snitchcat
10-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Cool thread.

I'm still considering moving to Australia.

GailD
10-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Helix, Maccardy. Looking at Snitchcat's post, I'd say that your anti-tourism campaign hasn't been entirely successful. :roll:

On the upside, we have ants. And ant-eating-echidnas. Echidnas are cool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ac9XE2Koxg)...

Funny! A little gross, but funny! :ROFL:

And it works too. How many Tokoloshes have you seen sitting on your bed?

Not a lot. :D

jjdebenedictis
10-22-2015, 01:55 AM
It's getting to the point where I'm scared to even google the creatures you're all talking about.

Helix
10-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Just when you thought it was safe to get back in the water (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-30/el-nino-system-lengthen-increase-severity-stinger-season/6899848?section=qld)*...

Beaches across north Queensland will be dragged for irukandji and box jellyfish for the next few months with stinger season officially starting on Sunday.

Marine Stinger Advisory Services's Dr Lisa-Ann Gershwin said researchers were concerned the El Nino weather system would increase the season's length and severity.

*Pro tip: it's never safe to get back in the water

Rufus Coppertop
10-30-2015, 02:58 PM
Since grade school I have dreamed of visiting Australia. Those spiders have pretty much scotched that dream. --s6Come to Melbourne. You'll be fine. When it comes to funnel webs we don't have Atrax robustus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider in Melbourne. We've only got Hadronyche modesta. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadronyche_modesta Now I have to admit, they can come over all jumped-up and huffy but a kitten can deal with them. (Seriously - I've had one bung on some attitude at me and brandish its fangs and a kitten came over, beat the crap out of it and then ate it.)

mccardey
10-30-2015, 03:12 PM
Come to Melbourne. You'll be fine. When it comes to funnel webs we don't have Atrax robustus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider in Melbourne. We've only got Hadronyche modesta. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadronyche_modesta Now I have to admit, they can come over all jumped-up and huffy but a kitten can deal with them. (Seriously - I've had one bung on some attitude at me and brandish its fangs and a kitten came over, beat the crap out of it and then ate it.)

And yet Bryson (http://www.amazon.com/Sunburned-Country-Bill-Bryson/dp/0767903862/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446203382&sr=1-6&keywords=bryson) makes the whole place sound scarey... Irrelevant, but scarey.

Rufus Coppertop
10-30-2015, 03:25 PM
And yet Bryson (http://www.amazon.com/Sunburned-Country-Bill-Bryson/dp/0767903862/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446203382&sr=1-6&keywords=bryson) makes the whole place sound scarey... Irrelevant, but scarey.Even Melbourne?

Helix
10-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Even Melbourne?

Especially Melbourne. Didn't he mention the Harold Holt swimming pool?

Rufus Coppertop
10-30-2015, 03:31 PM
Especially Melbourne. Didn't he mention the Harold Holt swimming pool?

A Harold Holt SWIMMING POOL?:Jaw:

Melbourne deserves a good-taste trophy for that little beauty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt_Memorial_Swimming_Centre

And it's in Glen Iris too. Only about twenty minutes from where I live.

Helix
12-04-2015, 12:03 PM
A lizard on the wall? Sometimes it's a gecko; sometimes it's not (http://www.theguardian.com/world/picture/2015/dec/04/giant-lizard-gives-australian-man-a-fright-then-a-photo-op).

GailD
12-04-2015, 01:26 PM
A lizard on the wall? Sometimes it's a gecko; sometimes it's not (http://www.theguardian.com/world/picture/2015/dec/04/giant-lizard-gives-australian-man-a-fright-then-a-photo-op).

Looking at that, I was about to say, 'Ah, go anna pull the other one.' But that's not photoshopped is it?

:scared:

If you showed that photo to our immigration people, I'm pretty sure they'd give you refugee status. :)

Helix
12-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Shocking pun, Gail!!!!

Psychorase
12-04-2015, 02:30 PM
A Harold Holt SWIMMING POOL?

I, personally, think it's hilarious.

Here in Adelaide, we don't have any of the rest of the country's murderous wildlife. You'll die of boredom, but that's another concern entirely. :D

GailD
12-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Shocking pun, Gail!!!!

It works better with a Kiwi accent.

:greenie:

Dennis E. Taylor
12-04-2015, 08:02 PM

*strikes Australia off bucket-list*

jjdebenedictis
12-04-2015, 10:28 PM
*strikes Australia off bucket-list*Huge lizards I can (mentally) handle. It's the poisonous spiders and snakes and jellyfish that give me pause. NO, PEOPLE, YOU DON'T NEED TO SUGGEST EVEN-WORSE THINGS FOR ME TO FEAR IN AUSTRALIA. YES, I KNOW THEY EXIST. **fingers in ears** **lalalalalala***

Dennis E. Taylor
12-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Huge lizards I can (mentally) handle. It's the poisonous spiders and snakes and jellyfish that give me pause. NO, PEOPLE, YOU DON'T NEED TO SUGGEST EVEN-WORSE THINGS FOR ME TO FEAR IN AUSTRALIA. YES, I KNOW THEY EXIST. **fingers in ears** **lalalalalala***

I have what are called rational phobias. Things that can poison me, eat me, kill me, or cause a limb to fall off-- I'm afraid of them. I also take a conservative approach. If I don't recognize it, I will look it up from a safe distance.

That lizard looks disturbingly like it falls under group 2. Also probably 3.

Helix
01-13-2016, 05:58 AM
Nice story, happy ending for all involved (http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/13/heavily-pregnant-deadly-snake-found-under-fridge-by-australian-woman).

Probably time to invest in screen doors.

mccardey
01-13-2016, 06:14 AM
Nice story, happy ending for all involved (http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/13/heavily-pregnant-deadly-snake-found-under-fridge-by-australian-woman).

*ahem* said the mice.

Helix
01-13-2016, 06:23 AM
*ahem* said the mice.

They were probably sourced from the murine funeral home.

mccardey
01-14-2016, 04:24 AM
Well hell, now I'm sad (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/13/photographer-mother-kangaroo-dying-queensland-australia) :(

Trigger alert for kangaroo-hunters and meat-eaters and Disney-watchers and such.

Brightdreamer
01-14-2016, 04:35 AM
Well hell, now I'm sad (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/13/photographer-mother-kangaroo-dying-queensland-australia) :(

Trigger alert for kangaroo-hunters and meat-eaters and Disney-watchers and such.

Well, if that isn't a Disney movie waiting to happen, I don't know what is. (Unless this is the real ending to the "Six White Boomers" Xmas song...)

Albedo
01-14-2016, 04:45 AM
It is not clear how the mother kangaroo died. She had no visible injuries.

Yeah, that's how it starts. Everyone bawling their eyes out over Marsupial Bambi's untimely orphanhood. When Roo Flu has wiped out 85% of humanity and we're clinging to the rubble of civilisation in the Quarantine Zone, you'll be cursing Patient Zero Skippy's name.

Albedo
01-14-2016, 05:00 AM
(Poor joey. he doesn't understand :(.)

mccardey
01-14-2016, 05:14 AM
Science just totally ruined that moment.
Furthermore, the kangaroo is not, unfortunately, "propp[ing] up her head so she could see her joey before she died". Instead, says Dr Eldridge, "this is a male trying to get a female to stand up so he can mate with her." - See more at: http://australianmuseum.net.au/blogpost/museullaneous/images-of-grieving-kangaroos-misinterpreted#sthash.6srNXWAj.dpuf

Straya, people.

mccardey
01-14-2016, 05:16 AM
Well, if that isn't a Disney movie waiting to happen, I don't know what is. (Unless this is the real ending to the "Six White Boomers" Xmas song...)

Gonna be a whole nother movie, now....

Helix
01-14-2016, 05:59 AM
Male roos are randy bastards. They're worse than cane toads and those bupestrid beetles that try to root stubbies (http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/ignobel-prize-winner-the-beetle-and-the-beer-bottle-a-tragic-love-story/).

Albedo
01-14-2016, 06:38 AM
Male roos are randy bastards. They're worse than cane toads and those bupestrid beetles that try to root stubbies (http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/scicurious-brain/ignobel-prize-winner-the-beetle-and-the-beer-bottle-a-tragic-love-story/).
Ok. I'm never leaving my beer unattended again.

Roxxsmom
01-14-2016, 07:02 AM

Probably time to invest in screen doors.

You know you're a zoology geek when you read an article like this and your first reaction is, "Goddamn it, the word is gravid for egg-laying animals, not pregnant!"

One thing that befuddles me about Australia is not so much the sheer number of really toxic animals you have (I believe close to 70% of Australian snake species are venomous, compared to maybe 10% world wide), but how innocuous so many of them look. No rattles, no facial pits, no fat heads with prominent venom sacs, no "red touch yellow, kill a fellow" ditties, or even spreadable hoods (like many members of the cobra family in Asia). They just look like nice, innocent little colubrid snakes we'd pick up and put back in the yard.

And that fuzzy little funnel web looks a bit like the harmless jumping spiders we see in our houses here in CA.

I guess there's no profit in advertising that you're venomous when almost everyone else is too.

Though a couple of these guys (http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Venomous-Yellow-Bellied-Sea-Snake-Washes-Up-on-Coronado-Beach-365089051.html) have washed up on some southern CA beaches this year, thanks to El Nino. They've been dead or dying, though.

Mind you, if you really only have one or two snakebite deaths a year in Australia, you're not doing badly compared to us (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States#201 0s).

Helix
01-14-2016, 08:44 AM
70% sounds about right. All the elapids are venomous and we have about 100 species of those. One of the colubrids (Boiga irregularis) and all of the homalopsids, which have been split off from Colubridae = venomous. Then there are the 30+ species of sea snakes. But to balance it out, we've got a couple of file snakes, the rest of the colubrids, a baker's dozen of pythons and quite a lot of blind snakes.

ETA: Note that not all of those venomous snakes are regarded as deadly, although it depends on the state of health and allergies of the bitten person. And elapids often give 'dry' warning bites. They are quite stingy with their venom.

Roxxsmom
01-14-2016, 09:24 AM
They are quite stingy with their venom.

We have only one elapid here, the coral snake (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_snake). It's a very shy, retiring creature, and bites are rare (but ironically, if you are bitten, you may have issues, as there is little incentive to make antivenom for them). They're brightly colored, similar in appearance to harmless milk snakes and king snakes, hence the "red touch yellow" ditty we have here.

Most of our venomous snakes are pit vipers (we may also have some rear-fanged colubrids in places like the everglades), which are remarkable animals from an evolutionary perspective. They also tend to leave you alone if you leave them alone. Most snakebite victims here are drunk and male, according to some data (http://www.gorp.com/weekend-guide/travel-ta-snake-bite-faq-sidwcmdev_053475.html). I'm guessing a lot are like this guy (http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/08/25/lake-elsinore-man-may-lose-hand-after-attempting-to-take-selfie-with-rattlesnake/), though climbers and hikers sometimes put a hand or foot on them, and dogs get bitten on the nose or face sometimes. Oh, and here's another guy (http://petapixel.com/2015/07/27/man-bitten-while-taking-selfie-with-rattlesnake-gets-153k-hospital-bill/) who tried to take a selfie with a rattlesnake.

I'm guessing you get idiots in Australia too.

I believe nearly a quarter of rattlesnake bites are "dry." They "want" to save it for their prey, obviously. Most of the people bitten by snakes in the US do okay with treatment.

Sometimes with pit viper bites there's a nasty destruction of flesh that occurs that leads to necrosis, though.

Helix
01-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Ok. I'm never leaving my beer unattended again.

Or your hi-vis gear (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-14/randy-beetles-trying-to-mate-with-high-vis/7088740).

Fleppy85
01-14-2016, 10:09 PM
I have a book called "See Australia and die". I read it after I lived two years in OZ and was amazed how easily you can die in this beautiful country. But then again, you can die anywhere on this planet, why not take the most beautiful spot to do so?

Helix
01-15-2016, 06:15 AM
This is a good way to clean up the bunnies (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/north-shore/giant-goanna-catches-bunny-in-turramurra-mans-backyard/news-story/b544d5e75dda9eb77e7717cac9f93eab).

Although I'd argue with the description 'giant'.

Helix
01-15-2016, 06:25 AM
I have a book called "See Australia and die". I read it after I lived two years in OZ and was amazed how easily you can die in this beautiful country. But then again, you can die anywhere on this planet, why not take the most beautiful spot to do so?

When you look at the numbers*, not a lot of people die from envenomation, bites etc from native fauna, even though there's plenty of bitey, venomous species in places where most people are.

*that I just pulled out of this hat

Fleppy85
01-15-2016, 10:41 PM
When you look at the numbers*, not a lot of people die from envenomation, bites etc from native fauna, even though there's plenty of bitey, venomous species in places where most people are.

*that I just pulled out of this hat

Oh, I never worried about that in these two years. Like I never worried (enough) about sharks to stay out of the water. Like I said I'd rather die in Australia doing something fun than in a traffic accident in Germany.

mirandashell
01-16-2016, 02:20 AM
Have to say though, after reading about the Rattler Selfie, the one thing that Mother Nature always punishes is stupidity. Although the American Health System doesn't do a bad job of that either.....

mccardey
01-16-2016, 02:31 AM
When you look at the numbers*, not a lot of people die from envenomation, bites etc

Even the people who do, mostly only die once. I think I'm right in saying that.

Fleppy - so glad you liked us :)

Helix
01-16-2016, 03:05 AM
Oh, I never worried about that in these two years. Like I never worried (enough) about sharks to stay out of the water. Like I said I'd rather die in Australia doing something fun than in a traffic accident in Germany.

I'm glad that none of that's happened -- shark bites here or RTAs there! (Or the other way around.)

Fleppy85
01-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Even the people who do, mostly only die once. I think I'm right in saying that.

Fleppy - so glad you liked us :)

How could anybody bot like Aussies?

mirandashell
01-19-2016, 12:45 AM
Ohhh I don't know.... Brits can bot pretty well too.

mccardey
01-24-2016, 12:09 PM
Snake Trigger Warning. (Think of this as a PSA (https://www.facebook.com/DIYrainbow/photos/a.296367013826861.1073741829.296346073828955/733085813488310/?type=3&theater))

Helix
02-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Winton: Not just the home of the Waltzing Matilda Centre and the world's largest deckchair

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-10/moth-cloud-covers-winton-streets-in-western-qld/7156004

GailD
02-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Winton: Not just the home of the Waltzing Matilda Centre and the world's largest deckchair

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-10/moth-cloud-covers-winton-streets-in-western-qld/7156004

Wow.

The thing that really gives me the creeps about that ^ is that all those moths were once caterpillars! :scared:

be frank
02-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Whilst truly icky, it's not quite as horrifying as that infestation of tarantulas discovered on a flood plain near(ish) Darwin last year...

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/discovery-25000-diving-tarantulas-northern-territo/2688206/

Helix
02-10-2016, 02:29 PM
Wow.

The thing that really gives me the creeps about that ^ is that all those moths were once caterpillars! :scared:

Given the death rate of caterpillars, imagine how many there must have been!

Whilst truly icky, it's not quite as horrifying as that infestation of tarantulas discovered on a flood plain near(ish) Darwin last year...

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/discovery-25000-diving-tarantulas-northern-territo/2688206/

Oh, what a cutie! There are some more pics here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-21/spider-expert-hails-medicinal-possibilities-from-nt-tarantulas/6560978).

GailD
02-11-2016, 02:58 PM
Given the death rate of caterpillars, imagine how many there must have been!

Oh, what a cutie! There are some more pics here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-21/spider-expert-hails-medicinal-possibilities-from-nt-tarantulas/6560978).

Methinks you are taking a fiendish pleasure in all of this.

Just so you know - I have a large can of hairspray and a Bic. And I'm not afraid to use 'em. :)

:flamethrower

Helix
02-12-2016, 08:14 AM
Methinks you are taking a fiendish pleasure in all of this.

Just so you know - I have a large can of hairspray and a Bic. And I'm not afraid to use 'em. :)

:flamethrower

Gail! I can't believe you'd accuse me of such a thing.

I'm posting this story (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-12/amorous-scorpions-on-march-broome/7162866) merely for...for...er...information. Yes. That's it. It's an area of biodiversity which lets us down when it comes to venom.

GailD
02-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Gail! I can't believe you'd accuse me of such a thing.

I'm posting this story (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-12/amorous-scorpions-on-march-broome/7162866) merely for...for...er...information. Yes. That's it. It's an area of biodiversity which lets us down when it comes to venom.

(The hairspray and the Bic were for the caterpillars, btw, not you.)

And thanks for the wonderful wake-up. That's quite a story to read over my first cup of tea!

A couple of weeks ago I had one of those creatures in my bath tub. It was only a small one (the creature) hardly bigger than a thumbnail but it was on my face cloth - and I didn't have my glasses on. Nearly washed my face with it. Ours seem to have a lot more venom than yours.

Helix
02-12-2016, 01:29 PM
I am beginning to think that bathrooms are the native habitat of scorpions. I was stung by one that was on a towel in a B&B on the Great Ocean Road. The bloody thing stung me on the shoulder. I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

I can confirm what Dr Harvey said in that ABC article: the small and innocuous-looking marbled scorpion has a very painful sting.

jjdebenedictis
02-12-2016, 11:09 PM
The thing that really gives me the creeps about that ^ is that all those moths were once caterpillars! :scared:HEY. HEY. I CAN COMPETE IN THIS PISSING CONTEST FOR ONCE.

Once, in the chilled, tarantula-less paradise of Canada, I went camping with my family. And one of the campsites was literally DRIPPING with caterpillars. They were everywhere--all over the ground and the trees. You couldn't walk without killing them by the hundreds under your feet, and you certainly couldn't take a walk without having three or four fall on your hair or down the neckhole at the back of your shirt.

Needless to say, they were destroying the forest in that area. Also needless to say, we found somewhere else to camp the next night.

Helix
02-13-2016, 06:54 AM
HEY. HEY. I CAN COMPETE IN THIS PISSING CONTEST FOR ONCE.

Once, in the chilled, tarantula-less paradise of Canada, I went camping with my family. And one of the campsites was literally DRIPPING with caterpillars. They were everywhere--all over the ground and the trees. You couldn't walk without killing them by the hundreds under your feet, and you certainly couldn't take a walk without having three or four fall on your hair or down the neckhole at the back of your shirt.

Needless to say, they were destroying the forest in that area. Also needless to say, we found somewhere else to camp the next night.

Eek!

That sounds bloody awful.

mccardey
02-13-2016, 01:14 PM
caterpillars.

ewww...

GailD
02-15-2016, 12:19 PM
I am beginning to think that bathrooms are the native habitat of scorpions. I was stung by one that was on a towel in a B&B on the Great Ocean Road. The bloody thing stung me on the shoulder. I suppose it could have been a lot worse.

I can confirm what Dr Harvey said in that ABC article: the small and innocuous-looking marbled scorpion has a very painful sting.

I can't figure out how they manage to climb up glazed ceramic tiles. Or even how they get into our bathroom when we've checked very carefully to see if there are small cracks anywhere. There aren't. I've even blocked the bath overflow outlet. :Shrug:

Sorry you got stung. :(

HEY. HEY. I CAN COMPETE IN THIS PISSING CONTEST FOR ONCE.

Arghhhhh! :scared:

ewww...

My sentiments, exactly.

On the subject of creatures with more than four legs (or worse, no legs at all) I found one of these things (http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2014/06/01/deaths-head-hawkmoth-caterpillar-south-africa-3/) in my garden a while back. I thought it was something the cat forgot to cover up, until it moved.

Hubby quipped, "That's a great example of Survival of the Feces."

I think I'm going to sell him on ebay!

Helix
02-15-2016, 12:29 PM
Oh, fantastic! (About the hawkmoth caterpillar.) Except now I'm thinking of the poster for Silence of the Lambs (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2923739648/tt0102926?ref_=tt_ov_i).

GailD
02-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Oh, fantastic! (About the hawkmoth caterpillar.) Except now I'm thinking of the poster for Silence of the Lambs (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2923739648/tt0102926?ref_=tt_ov_i).

Putting your money where your moth is?

Helix
02-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Putting your money where your moth is?

:ROFL:

Helix
02-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Wang gripped by hairy panic (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-35600546)

(completely sfw)

mirandashell
02-18-2016, 03:29 PM
WOH! That's not fun. And how is that not a fire risk? Lordy me.....

Have to admit though, the name of sheep disease cracked me up. You are such a practical people!

GailD
02-18-2016, 05:36 PM
Have to admit though, the name of sheep disease cracked me up.

That disease may not be exclusive to sheep. I can think of one presidential candidate....

Helix
02-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Business (heh) as usual.

Snakes are slithering into toilet bowls (http://www.cairnspost.com.au/snake-found-in-toilet-bowl-in-cairns/news-story/b750845c954699c3c3f3541fb95b0a6d) across Far North Queensland in a desperate attempt to escape steamy conditions.

Helix
05-12-2016, 11:36 AM
And the snakes are still slithering into toilets (https://www.facebook.com/ParksandWildlifeNT/posts/1063344623725800?pnref=story), because it's summer all year round in the Northern Territory.