• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reader/swap for Modern Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently looking for beta readers for my manuscript, Sister Blades. It's a modern fantasy story, 89k words long. Here is my current query:

_____
At seventeen, Linda is finally an orphan. But she'll shed no tears for the man who starved her as a child and declared her a mistake. She'd celebrate with some college boys if she had the time. Unfortunately, the family legacy – and her father's enchanted blade – now fall to her: keep the Users and their nasty magic out of her city.

When Linda wields the blade, armor materializes around her and makes her insanely fast and strong. Too bad it doesn't include a manual. Cuts into her party time, but Linda has to practice before she can replace her Dad.

But as if they sensed his death, Users invade the city. Addicted to human suffering like junkies, they find the weakest, most vulnerable people and tear their lives apart – just to get more of their drug. No strangers to abuse and depression, most of Linda's friends make appetizing targets.

To fight Users, Linda needs to master her blade, and fast, or she'll die like her father. The blade's power comes at a cost: her life-force. Every second Linda wields magic steel, she ages one hundred times faster. To protect her friends from a living hell, this is the life Linda must lead. And it's gonna be short.
_____

It's had a few complete reads thus far. Since I just undertook quite a few changes and did a couple re-reads of it myself, I feel like it's ready for another round. At this stage, I'm looking for critique on the characters, motivations, development, and whether or not the book is close to the point where it's appropriate to start trying to get it published, though if you had comments on other things I'd still listen. I'm open to the idea of swapping for a work of similar length (or lesser, if you're fine with that). I read Sci-fi and Fantasy. YA is fine, but no romance, vampires, or magic schools. Heavy preference towards work that has been beta-read already.

Post here, or send me a pm if you're interested. :)

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to give this a bump since I'm now looking for betas again. Open to doing a swap.

Last edited:

laurakatelin

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'd be interested in being a beta reader for your novel. It sounds interesting :)

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my latest round of revisions, so Imma bump this. Once again, I am open to the idea of a swap.

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Gonna give this another bump. Could use more eyes on this and my schedule is open enough for swaps!

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Going to give this another bump! I've had a few more beta reads and done more revisions. I'm feeling confident enough in this that I'm entertaining the idea of approaching agents, but I still want more feedback before I start that process haha.

I'm willing to do swaps for work of similar length! Great preference towards science fiction and fantasy and their subgenres. I tend not to be into stories with heavy focus on romance.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to give this thread a bump; once again looking for beta readers! Open to the idea of doing a swap for science fiction and fantasy.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Another bump! Looking for beta readers once again. I am open to the idea of doing a swap for something in the broad categories of science fiction or fantasy (not into mg or romance-focused plots), though I admit I can be finnicky with what I can/cannot get into.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
May I ever so gently suggest that you seem to be seeking beta readers in order to avoid the risk of rejection? If you had a submission-ready manuscript when you first asked for betas, over a year ago, and you've had several since then, what will having more accomplish at this point?

There needs to come a time when you stop tinkering, consider you are perhaps changing without improving, and start querying--and working on the next book.

Maryn, with a light nudge

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
May I ever so gently suggest that you seem to be seeking beta readers in order to avoid the risk of rejection? If you had a submission-ready manuscript when you first asked for betas, over a year ago, and you've had several since then, what will having more accomplish at this point?

There needs to come a time when you stop tinkering, consider you are perhaps changing without improving, and start querying--and working on the next book.

Maryn, with a light nudge

You do make good points! I don't have a sense for when a book (mine or other peeps') is submission-ready, though I am getting more and more confident in this current MS.
That said, I've made some important (imo) changes since my last reader, and I would like feedback on those changes.

ClementineFox7

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to swap novels if you're interested. Mine is 75k urban-fantasy. Talking animals, some supernatural-type powers and very little romance (none for the MC). Let me know if you want to swap!

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to swap novels if you're interested. Mine is 75k urban-fantasy. Talking animals, some supernatural-type powers and very little romance (none for the MC). Let me know if you want to swap!

PM sent!

megan_d

Falling in the milk
Registered
Reaction score
If you're still looking I'm interested in doing a swap with you. I remember seeing your query in QLH a short while and it really grabbed me. There are a few query attempts for my own MS in my recent history if you wanted to get a feel for it.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
If you're still looking I'm interested in doing a swap with you. I remember seeing your query in QLH a short while and it really grabbed me. There are a few query attempts for my own MS in my recent history if you wanted to get a feel for it.

Sure, I'm still looking. :) PM sent!

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking once again, so I'm gonna give this another bump. :) Details about my book and what I'd be open to swapping for are in the first post. I'm now also interested in beta's opinions on whether or not my MS is agent ready (or close).

Status
Not open for further replies.